Recent content by 617

1. 617

Tekton style like tweeter array good idea?

Any wideband diaphragm of that size is going to go into breakup eventually as frequency goes up, which creates spatial irregularities. At least in the case of Tekton, there are no breakup related directive inconsistency for the most part since tweeters are used. I just want to see what they...
  2. 617

Maybe Tekton would be amenable to sending one if we were a bit nicer
  3. 617

I'd just like to see some actual directivity sonograms and not this retro stuff from Stereophile. In theory a coaxial with different vertical and horizontal radiation could be useful, not to say this is the way to go about it. The quasi coax with the ribbon and midranges created by the german...
  4. 617

Does anyone have detailed directivity measurements of the so called coax array? I'd be curious how well Tekton got it to work. I find it intriguing that he made it asymmetrical.
  5. 617

Do you know of another commercial offering with quasi coax tweeter arrays? I feel like someone must have tried it in the 90s at some point.
  6. 617

I don't mean to be dismissive of panel speakers, but I don't think narrow directivity was one of the things which motivated people to invent panel speakers. It is one of the things which they naturally do well, and obviously people like how it sounds. Conventional box speakers could learn...
  7. 617

Companies that produce midrange ribbon drivers?

I have a pair of BG Neo8 if you're interested
  8. 617

Ironically you can find 1+" midranges with a larger Sd than a dome tweeter with a smaller flange than the 104mm flange on most dome tweeters. Aura whisper and peerless units among others.
  9. 617

I've seen the red spade stuff! In fairness to Tekton, they seem to be going for dynamics, which any horn person will tell you is an underrated aspect of performance as I'm sure you know. You can't just damp every resonance down to zero, you need some sound to come out of your transducers.
  10. 617

Without a long, boring technical breakdown, the philosophical issue with these designs is that they focus on solving one or two problems and sacrifice everything else. Panels reduce crossover complexity (some of the time) and moving mass (for LF anyway) and sacrifice any kind of smooth spatial...
  11. 617

I've simulated it and looked at measurements by people that have pursued it seriously. The Hannover hard-core guy has a great paper on it. Kemmler is correct, it is an interesting notion, and you can get it to sort of work, but it gets you nothing and creates a mess. The distortion advantages...
  12. 617

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

What an obnoxious article. Amar Bose was a visionary engineer whose work brought joy to more people than every audio critic in the world combined.
  13. 617

For some interesting speaker designs using concentric arrays, see here. This site used be called Hannover hardcore. Many speaker designers have experimented with concentric arrays, in theory you can get great directivity and quasi coaxial symmetry with real, non compromised drivers (obviously...
  14. 617

Shout out to the moderation team having their weekend spoiled by the tempers and legal threats being flashed around like energy at a Sylvester concert
  15. 617

There is no crossover on earth that will render a competitively smooth DI with a passive array of tweeters on one side and midwoofers on the other. It's like trying to build an airplane with a wing on one side. M&K did a very good job of it in the 80s, reviews can be seen here, but back then...
Top Bottom