Recent content by 0bs3rv3r

1. 0

ASR Recommended Cartridges?

I run a VM95ML in my main table, but love those older records too, and have found that the super cheap AT3600 is a great "poor man's DL-103". The slightly heavier tracking and the undersized conical (0.7 standard microgroove vs 0.6 for the 3600 vs 0.5 for the Denon ) stylus seems to be a...
  2. 0

Raspberry Pi USB : noisy?

Very true with analog wireless, but with digital, you are playing the EXACT same data, it's just delivered differently, but once reassembled at the receiver and sitting in memory, there is no difference.
  3. 0

Raspberry Pi USB : noisy?

I did exactly that. They both sound exactly the same. The problem with the pi usb in models earlier than the 4, is not general noise issues, but occasional clicks/pops/stutters, and only if you are using wired ethernet. I used Wifi instead, and my 3B+ never had any problems at all. I...
  4. 0

When I worked for Garrard

It did have tracking force adjustment - look hard and you'll see a little thumbwheel at the rear of the arm near the pivot. Also, the original mono cartridges were turnover carts and the knob protruded out the front. The headshell is removeable, and stereograms came with two of them, and you...
  5. 0

Doctor Who - The 14th Doctor

yep, writing, acting, directing... just awful
  6. 0

Doctor Who - The 14th Doctor

I am afraid, as a long time fan, I just could not even finish the last series. I suppose I will give the new one a try, but if it continues in the same direction, I will give up.
  7. 0

Is Volumio the best 'streamer freeware'?

Yes, maybe it IS downloading that art...
  8. 0

Some players can search the internet for appropriate art and display it, when playing a locally stored track/album that does not have artwork stored with it.
  9. 0

Anyone using their laptop as a desktop/main PC?

The line for me is blurred because my "desktop" PC is a small form factor box. A Lenovo Thinkcentre. What is inside the box is basically the same tech as what is in a laptop. As to whether it is powerful and fast enough - well, running linux (Mint) and replacing the hard drive with an SSD...
  10. 0

Switching power supply noise question

A very simple solution is just a diode bridge into filtering and a power resistor to drop the excess voltage. The heater current is a constant, so a regulator is not really needed.
  11. 0

Does picoreplayer download art as required when playing a track?
  12. 0

Between Volumio and moOde, I'd choose moOde every time. Apart from anything else, the developer is responsive and fixes stuff quickly. Free, but worth a donation.
  13. 0

How did software development become so hard (Windows)???

Absolutely 100% I do and I don't. At least most malware leaves us alone. Also, when looking for a program for a certain job, most things I find for linux have better quality than the garbage being churned out for Windows. Usually for free as well - well free except I feel obliged to...
  14. 0

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

I think you are wrong to associate the reliability of cheap badly built devices with being caused by them being class D. It's just that most of the current cheap amps flooding the market happen to be class D. It's not because class D itself is unreliable.
  15. 0

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

you'll never learn by contradicting and arguing gobbledegook as if you are the expert
Top Bottom