• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

When did you decide to study STEM major in university? Tips for my daughter?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
My daughter is junior in high school and she can't really decide if STEM major in university would be a good fit for her. She already did many online self assessment things and talk to counselor, etc. She even took some online introductory classes for programming, etc. She did just fine, but still not sure.

My son, on the other hand, knew he wanted to study engineering in his junior year in high school. He is doing just fine in engineering major in in-state university.

My daugher is a highly motivated hard working student and she is well rounded. 4.0 gpa so far. Just got almost perfect SAT score (in 99+ percentile). Black belt in martial art. Just completed the highest level in-state piano test in flying color.

She is thinking maybe she will just follow her brother's footsteps. But, she does not have any specific passions for STEM......She can try applying for schools like MIT, but she worries that she will hate it.

We basically told her that she can attend a good in state school and take different 101 courses in different arts and science majors during the first year or two to see if she could find her passions. Then, maybe transfer to a great university to complete her study.

If you graduated from STEM major, did you know you want to study STEM while in high school?

Thanks!

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can speak for the S in STEM, it's really challenging to be an academician or a scientist because you're at the very top of knowledge pyramid.

what you're attempting to discover / figure out has never been done before, your superiors will guide you and broaden your horizons but they will not tell (and cannot) tell you what to do.

it's very common to do something for 200 times and succeed at the 201th.

the field is results driven (and how you got to these results) rather than objective driven so she may have to dedicate her entire life for that purpose to get ahead of others and may become completely miserable as a results. it's not for everyone.

doing applied research (think pharmacy instead of biology/chemistry) has a little more job security and higher pay.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But, she does not have any specific passions for STEM
Yeah, sounds like me. I majored in math just because that is what I was good at and I know it is a decently respected major. I was good at science too but I just wouldn’t know what to major in for that, and the only other courses I liked and really excelled at was my law classes, but that didn’t appeal to me as a career.

I planned to be an actuary for some insurance firm, but I just did not want to take all those tests to increase salary, and I didn’t take the initial ones during my education like some of my classmates which just qualifies you for an internship. I took the huge salary decrease (current salary is $45k/yr) and simply became a math teacher at my old high school (I do really like being done at 3pm and having summers off).

I really wish I went to job fairs and such and actually thought about my career when I started college.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I can speak for the S in STEM, it's really challenging to be an academician or a scientist because you're at the very top of knowledge pyramid.

what you're attempting to discover / figure out has never been done before, your superiors will guide you and broaden your horizons but they will not tell (and cannot) tell you what to do.

it's very common to do something for 200 times and succeed at the 201th.

the field is results driven (and how you got to these results) rather than objective driven so she may have to dedicate her entire life for that purpose to get ahead of others and may become completely miserable as a results. it's not for everyone.

doing applied research (think pharmacy instead of biology/chemistry) has a little more job security and higher pay.
Thanks! Will get my daughter to add "applied research in pharmacy" to her list of careers-to-research over the summer.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I've done nothing in terms of STEM, but I also didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. So I did a random bachelor and master at university that I was somewhat interested (communication, natural language processing) after switching studies 2 times, just to get a piece of paper showing what I was capable off. Ended up in a job that I didn't really like, but was able to switch to different jobs inside to the same company . That taught me what I liked to do, and I still work at the same place doing something completely different from what I started with.

Looking back I sort off mirror @MZKM's thought about job fairs, because looking back I probably would have chosen a different path. But I also think that when you start working you quickly realise what things you like to do and which you don't.

@Pdxwayne does she have a passion for anything else? When I was trying to choose my path I was way too focused on the jobs and only when I just chose a bachelor/master that I intrinsically liked more I managed to actually get a diploma. I would try and focus on the things she likes to do, and not think about it in terms of jobs or careers.

Last edited:
OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Yeah, sounds like me. I majored in math just because that is what I was good at and I know it is a decently respected major. I was good at science too but I just wouldn’t know what to major in for that, and the only other courses I liked and really excelled at was my law classes, but that didn’t appeal to me as a career.

I planned to be an actuary for some insurance firm, but I just did not want to take all those tests to increase salary, and I didn’t take the initial ones during my education like some of my classmates which just qualifies you for an internship. I took the huge salary decrease (current salary is $45k/yr) and simply became a math teacher at my old high school (I do really like being done at 3pm and having summers off).

I really wish I went to job fairs and such and actually thought about my career when I started college.
Thanks for the feedback. I was pretty much the same when started college. I was already happy to be able to attend ANY university, and didn't really thought too much about career....

tgray

I was pretty sure I wanted to major in science as a high school senior, but was not committed. Went to a liberal arts college that also offered engineering majors (just in case I wanted to be an engineer). Took a variety of courses my freshman year besides math and sciences (anthropology, philosophy, etc.), wavered between astrophysics and physics before finally deciding on physics. Going to a school that encourage/required taking a broad selection of courses helped me find something that I enjoyed. The non-science education I had also has helped me quite a bit in my career in technical fields.

I ended up going to grad school in physics, then worked in academia for a bit as a researcher, in the private sector as an engineer, and now work in a completely different field in research and development.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I've done nothing in terms of STEM, but I also didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. So I did a random bachelor and master at university that I was somewhat interested (communication, natural language processing) in just to get a piece of paper showing what I was capable off. Ended up in a job that I didn't really like, but was able to switch to different jobs inside to the same company . That taught me what I liked to do, and I still work at the same place doing something completely different from what I started with.

Looking back I sort off mirror @MZKM's thought about job fairs, because looking back I probably would have chosen a different path. But I also think that when you start working you quickly realise what things you like to do and which you don't.
Yeah, I can relate...My bachelor and master are in business....But I ended with something not really related to business and mostly technical.....

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I was pretty sure I wanted to major in science as a high school senior, but was not committed. Went to a liberal arts college that also offered engineering majors (just in case I wanted to be an engineer). Took a variety of courses my freshman year besides math and sciences (anthropology, philosophy, etc.), wavered between astrophysics and physics before finally deciding on physics. Going to a school that encourage/required taking a broad selection of courses helped me find something that I enjoyed. The non-science education I had also has helped me quite a bit in my career in technical fields.

I ended up going to grad school in physics, then worked in academia for a bit as a researcher, in the private sector as an engineer, and now work in a completely different field in research and development.
Thanks for sharing!

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Yeah, I can relate...My bachelor and master are in business....But I ended with something not really related to business and mostly technical.....
Added a little bit about her passions and interests to my post. My first attempts at getting my bachelor's degree all failed, because I found everything so incredibly boring and dull. Plus I didn't have the discipline to push through. If I don't like to do something its hard for me to get it done.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Added a little bit about her passions and interests to my post. My first attempts at getting my bachelor's degree all failed, because I found everything so incredibly boring and dull. Plus I didn't have the discipline to push through. If I don't like to do something its hard for me to get it done.
She is very self motivated and she is doing great in all subjects in school so far. I am sure she will still do great even if the major is boring....

I guess she will need to find her passion in university, trying out different 101 courses in arts and science.

j^j=e^-pi/2

Have her major in music and minor in math/stats or physics. The world needs more music and peace.

Best computer programmer I encountered was a music major who taught himself programming.

I started in music, but graduated with applied physics (it's like 5 years of horribly difficult story-problems with goofy math tricks, high voltage, programming and ionizing radiation plus a case of tellurium poisoning).

I was a waaay better musician than physics student. (I used to despair during that time my life is nothing but staff paper, crazy hard math and far too much alcohol)

Never did physics as a job, but ended up as a "corporate weenie" (exec at a bank). I regret not staying with music.

My kids are all doing (did) STEM in college though two of them are at sorta prestigious liberal arts colleges with conservatory level music. They'll end up with STEM and music majors (they're crazy good musicians, best in state level). Other kid did stats (had an AA degree in math before graduating high school, I jokingly call her 'freak') at a flagship public university and is working for the U.S. Federal government at one of the alphabet agencies.

(I am the luckiest dad in the world and I pray for the parents who have challenges with their kids)

STEM majors that aren't in the professions (like engineers) simply train the brain to be systematic in problem solving and never to give up. Oh, another plus is that you can tell if a blackboard of formulas on a TV show or movie are bs or not.

Last edited:

tgray

Also, shoot for the moon with a few schools (whatever your bank account can accommodate haha). Some schools end up being significantly cheaper than the sticker price due to aid, and even cheaper than a state school. Last I checked, there are a handful of schools that give you grants even if you qualify for loans - mostly pretty selective schools, but it's worth a shot.

RE: MIT - It's a wonderful school, I know some people who went there and loved it, and it would not have been for me :)

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Have her major in music and minor in math/stats or physics. The world needs more music and peace.

Best computer programmer I encountered was a music major who taught himself programming.

I started in music, but graduated with applied physics (it's like 5 years of horribly difficult story-problems with goofy math tricks, high voltage, programming and ionizing radiation plus a case of tellurium poisoning).

I was a waaay better musician than physics student. (I used to despair during that time my life is nothing but staff paper, crazy hard math and far too much alcohol)

Never did physics as a job, but ended up as a "corporate weenie" (exec at a bank). I regret not staying with music.

My kids are all doing (did) STEM in college though two of them are at sorta prestigious liberal arts colleges with conservatory level music. They'll end up with STEM and music majors (they're crazy good musicians, best in state level). Other kid did stats (had an AA degree in math before graduating high school, I jokingly call her 'freak') at a flagship public university and is working for the U.S. Federal government at one of the alphabet agencies.

(I am the luckiest dad in the world and I pray for the parents who have challenges with their kids)

STEM majors that aren't in the professions (like engineers) simply train the brain to be systematic in problem solving and never to give up. Oh, another plus is that you can tell if a blackboard of formulas on a TV show or movie are bs or not.
Interesting suggestions for major!

I will get her to put that in her list.

You are indeed lucky!

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I never game much thought to college when I was a kid. Fast-forward to my senior year in HS, and I was ambivalent on the idea -- I really just wanted to be done with school. My guidance counselor told me since I did well in math and science I should apply to some engineering schools. I applied to a stuffy state school that mom loved because friends of hers had gone there, as well as a more common fall-back school. I was wait-listed for early acceptance to the stuffy school, and did not want to change to their liberal arts program in order to get accepted. I was accepted at -- and attended -- the fall-back school.

By the time college was started I had warmed to the idea of being an engineer, and I wanted to leverage my apparent strengths in chemistry and physics to become a chemical/ nuclear engineer.

...turns out college chemistry and physics were two big weed-out classes. (along with Calc and Engineering Fundamentals). It only took one academic quarter before I decided being a ChemE was not for me, and later in the school year I choose Civil so I could eventually have a job where I would be outside a lot.

Back then we had retired Corps of Engineers peeps acting like drill sergeants. An amazingly high percentage of people that had years-long goals of becoming engineers were reduced to mere business majors before my eyes. Many dreams were crushed. Not a great environment, frankly. And not one that many woman entered into. By the time I was deep into my major, it was typical for there to be zero or only one girl in a class of 25-30 people. It just wasn't very welcoming or supportive.

Thankfully worker shortages in the late 1990s really forced changes in the engineering department. Woman were recruited and supported in a manner that simply did not exist a decade earlier. Now when we post job openings it is not uncommon for woman to comprise about 25% of the applicants.. I do not know if the numbers are similar in electrical or mechanical engineering though. We work with many M/E/P firms, and it is still rare to see a woman engineer in those disciplines. Definitely less than 10%.

This is all a rambling way of saying STEM is a great way to go, but it maybe helpful to look at schools and programs where girls are not as rare as hens teeth. Many of the sciences are probably much better is that respect than the engineering disciplines.

On a side note, my first wife was/is an engineer. She went to the same school that I attended, a handful of years later. She focused on a sub-discipline that attracted the most girls (environmental), but that's not saying much. She worked extra hard to graduate early and get the heck out of that environment.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Also, shoot for the moon with a few schools (whatever your bank account can accommodate haha). Some schools end up being significantly cheaper than the sticker price due to aid, and even cheaper than a state school. Last I checked, there are a handful of schools that give you grants even if you qualify for loans - mostly pretty selective schools, but it's worth a shot.

RE: MIT - It's a wonderful school, I know some people who went there and loved it, and it would not have been for me :)
My wife and I earn good money.....Thus unlikely to get much aids from any of the top schools. Those schools don't offer merit scholarship. : (

So, either we pay top dollars for a top school for my daughter to figure out her passion, or we pay a lot less for in-state as she can get merit scholarships....

Last edited:

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
My daughter is junior in high school

Edit: I misread your post.

My personal background was I did well in grade school but never focused up until I was in my 2nd year of college. At that point in time, I was working two part-time jobs and just going to college solely so I could stay on my parent's insurance because - as much as I wanted to be a professional BMX'r, I wrecked a lot, LOL. One night I watched a documentary on Disney Imagineering (Modern Marvels on History channel) and I submitted my application for another college's engineering department and started the following semester. Sometimes the spark can come from the oddest places and an unexpected time.

Again, not trying to step on toes or offend. Just giving my own personal thoughts, since you asked.

Last edited:
OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I never game much thought to college when I was a kid. Fast-forward to my senior year in HS, and I was ambivalent on the idea -- I really just wanted to be done with school. My guidance counselor told me since I did well in math and science I should apply to some engineering schools. I applied to a stuffy state school that mom loved because friends of hers had gone there, as well as a more common fall-back school. I was wait-listed for early acceptance to the stuffy school, and did not want to change to their liberal arts program in order to get accepted. I was accepted at -- and attended -- the fall-back school.

By the time college was started I had warmed to the idea of being an engineer, and I wanted to leverage my apparent strengths in chemistry and physics to become a chemical/ nuclear engineer.

...turns out college chemistry and physics were two big weed-out classes. (along with Calc and Engineering Fundamentals). It only took one academic quarter before I decided being a ChemE was not for me, and later in the school year I choose Civil so I could eventually have a job where I would be outside a lot.

Back then we had retired Corps of Engineers peeps acting like drill sergeants. An amazingly high percentage of people that had years-long goals of becoming engineers were reduced to mere business majors before my eyes. Many dreams were crushed. Not a great environment, frankly. And not one that many woman entered into. By the time I was deep into my major, it was typical for there to be zero or only one girl in a class of 25-30 people. It just wasn't very welcoming or supportive.

Thankfully worker shortages in the late 1990s really forced changes in the engineering department. Woman were recruited and supported in a manner that simply did not exist a decade earlier. Now when we post job openings it is not uncommon for woman to comprise about 25% of the applicants.. I do not know if the numbers are similar in electrical or mechanical engineering though. We work with many M/E/P firms, and it is still rare to see a woman engineer in those disciplines. Definitely less than 10%.

This is all a rambling way of saying STEM is a great way to go, but it maybe helpful to look at schools and programs where girls are not as rare as hens teeth. Many of the sciences are probably much better is that respect than the engineering disciplines.

On a side note, my first wife was/is an engineer. She went to the same school that I attended, a handful of years later. She focused on a sub-discipline that attracted the most girls (environmental), but that's not saying much. She worked extra hard to graduate early and get the heck out of that environment.
Thanks for sharing!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Job nr. 1: find your passion!! It’s not just the years in uni. This choice will most likely influence the rest of your life. You better make the best possible choice!

I’ve had friends that were basically good at everything.. tried 3 studies before finishing one and eventually he still doesn’t know what exactly his passion is. Oh, he also did a PHD, which took forever to complete :facepalm:

As for me, after my bachelor I tried a master, but after 2 years I found out it was not my thing. Found a job that I was pationate about, and never looked back.

Last edited:
OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I hope I don't seem out of line here but isn't this way too soon for her to be worrying about a career path? Just seems to me that this might put undue stress on her. Some kids rise to the "challenge". Some don't. It's not that I am talking about. But, overall, I'd just worry that she's not enjoying being a typical teenager and instead worrying about what she's going to do as an adult.

I have a 10yo daughter who is in the magnet school program where they focus more on arts as well as STEM in lieu of the traditional schooling. So, I do get the angle of wanting to see your kiddo succeed. It just seems that junior high is early for her to be bothered/worried/whathaveyou about this. I feel like - as a society - we generally place too much emphasis on grades at too young an age and the kids will turn out just fine even if they don't know what they want to do even when they're a senior in high school. This is based on my personal background of always doing well but never focusing up until I was in my 2nd year of college, not yet having decided what I wanted to do. At that point in time, I was working two part-time jobs and just going to college solely so I could stay on my parent's insurance because - as much as I wanted to be a professional BMX'r, I wrecked a lot, LOL. One night I watched a documentary on Disney Imagineering (Modern Marvels on History channel) and I submitted my application for another college's engineering department and started the following semester. Sometimes the spark can come from the oddest places and an unexpected time.

Again, not trying to step on toes or offend. Just giving my own personal thoughts, since you asked.
Yeah, actually she is the one who worries the most because by end of this year she will need to start applying for university. : )

We are not giving her pressure. We told her she can find her passion during the first year or two of university.

Top Bottom