• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some times I think I've lived too long...'cuz I really don't get it!

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I run through the pop hit playlists and dig around if I like an artist. I listen to weird genres like EDM big band stuff. I was floored by Dua Lipa’s live singing on Amazon the other day. No auto tune. I was just floored. A kid with a kid‘s sensibilities, sure, but what, you want these kids to be Socrates? I found Billie Eilish’s music fascinating as I became familiar with it. Camila Cabello has a stratospherically wonderful voice. She can do a dead-on Billie Eilish imitation BTW. A lot of these kids are getting it done. I am not much of a musician but I have enough chops to know what is going on in the music by ear, and keep a guitar by my side to do so or play along a little, or I’ll walk over to my piano and pick it apart a little. I still feel the magic and the joy in it. I like turn of the 20th century pop music, I like classical. But I try to keep young ears and I try not to make a habit of passing judgment. What does it matter if it will be considered great in 30 years or 100 years?

This is the golden age of recorded music in some ways, so much of it is laid out before us by the streaming services. To move the conversation into a jazz context, my advice is be like Dexter Gordon and Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock, keep young ears, and less so like Louis Armstrong or Wynton Marsalis, judgmental.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9286

You were one who posted your age as 38 and wondered if you're too old to get her music.

I’ve never wondered that so I definitely haven’t written that.

You seem to be taking my posts very personal :D

To put your mind at rest, I have no issue with Billie Eilish, I just commented that I didn’t enjoy her album, that is all. A completely idiotic thing to say according to you so I will try and keep my scathing album reviews to myself from now on. ;)

hyperplanar

Relevant article: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/10/opinion/sunday/favorite-songs.html

I'm 25 and couldn't help but laugh a bit reading the original post :)
There'll always be generational divides, I'm sure everyone's parents made comments about what they were listening to at one point or another, right?

If anything I'm a bit too old for Billie Eilish but I actively seek out and enjoy new music to listen to all the time on Spotify and keep my ears fresh. I definitely agree with the article's premise though since I still listen to a lot of the genres that I listened to as a teenager. Love a lot of old music too but I can't stand classic rock. Usually more old funk, soul, pop type of stuff.

Would be super interesting to do a cross-generational music exchange here so we can have ears bleeding on both sides! :D

Last edited:
OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had no idea where this thread would go when I started it - but it's turning out to be one of the most fun diversions I've started here at ASR - a great way to spend an evening in quarantine!

As I head off to get a bit of sleep, let me leave you all with this cover of a pop 1966 pop hit. The work of today's young musicians doesn't stand a chance when pitted against masterpieces such as this gem. The original reord by Jerry Samuels actually became an instant success in the United States. It peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 popular music singles chart, No. 1 on the Cash Box Top 100 charts, No. 2 in Canada, and it made No. 4 on the UK Singles Chart.

Asylum Seeker

You all seem to be impressed by the artistically precocious teens of today, but do you realise Robert Plant was still a teenager on LedZep I, Lee Morgan was also still a teenager on Coltrane's Blue Train or that Shakira was only 16 at the time of Pies Descalzos?

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
You all seem to be impressed by the artistically precocious teens of today, but do you realise Robert Plant was still a teenager on LedZep I, Lee Morgan was also still a teenager on Coltrane's Blue Train or that Shakira was only 16 at the time of Pies Descalzos?

Yes, I am impressed by today’s musically precocious teens.

And Jelly Roll Morton was 12 when he arguably invented jazz, and then we have the young Mozart to consider. . . Your point being?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
My new avatar and the boredom of quarantine has me thinking strange thoughts. o_O

Where does this fit into the history of "music"? What do the youngest ASR members think about this song and its genre? Is it good? Bad? Dumb? Insightful? Lasting? Ephemeral pop? (Then again, long before the advent of music videos, my generation had songs in the 1950's like "Yellow Polka Dot Bikini", "Transfusion" by Nervous Norvus, "Stranded in the Jungle" and "The Purple People Eater".)

Its appeal is totally lost on me.

There has always been disposable pop music, but these days I just dont see the high quality and durable artists that surfaced in the 70s/80s.

I question myself and whether its just me getting old, but Im not convinced.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Its appeal is totally lost on me.

There has always been disposable pop music, but these days I just dont see the high quality and durable artists that surfaced in the 70s/80s.

I question myself and whether its just me getting old, but Im not convinced.
I think the proliferation of electronic instruments and effects that are easily played and don't require a study and lots of practice has enabled lesser talented people to infiltrate the music scene. Now it seems almost expected that the music is simple and has basic beats with little to no melody.

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
I think the proliferation of electronic instruments and effects that are easily played and don't require a study and lots of practice has enabled lesser talented people to infiltrate the music scene. Now it seems almost expected that the music is simple and has basic beats with little to no melody.

Wake up. ;)

Asylum Seeker

Yes, I am impressed by today’s musically precocious teens.

And Jelly Roll Morton was 12 when he arguably invented jazz, and then we have the young Mozart to consider. . . Your point being?
The point was lost on you. In fact, you went on to strengthen my case and yet you still missed the point. The point is that musical talent at an early age has not been uncommon.

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
The point was lost on you. In fact, you went on to strengthen my case and yet you still missed the point. The point is that musical talent at an early age has not been uncommon.

Who said musical talent at an early age has been uncommon? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
Well obviously this is a exception. I was not referring to this sort of theatrical musical stuff. :cool:

Those are young popular musicians (except for the legendary Arturo Sandoval) flying in the face of every criticism you laid down, performing in real time. :cool:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Those are young popular musicians (except for the legendary Arturo Sandoval) flying in the face of every criticism you laid down, performing in real time. :cool:
My Quote, "I think the proliferation of electronic instruments and effects that are easily played and don't require a study and lots of practice has enabled lesser talented people to infiltrate the music scene. Now it seems almost expected that the music is simple and has basic beats with little to no melody."

I was referring to the rubbish stuff that has no melody, no real beat, is comprised of bass thumps and basically speaking into a mic about cop killing, treating girls like garbage and running the streets like a hoodlum.

I never placed everybody younger than age 35 in the same group.

I did place lots of people in the group though and they should be in that group.

Eetu

Forum Donor
The quantity of good music made now is greater than in any era before. The problem with (older) people claiming today's music is garbage is that they don't seem to make an effort to research beyond the Billboard lists. Sites like Pitchfork, Quietus, Resident Advisor etc. are a great place to start learning about current pop, rock, indie, electronic & experimental music.

dave f

FOR ME jumping into new music, new art, and new ideas requires me to think a little more about the waters I swim in. It's a part of how I experience these things...

Without thought there is no experience. Thought is how experience registers. The real question is if the experience is relevant. In the case of "bad guy" for example, most don't even get the premise of the song, the lyrics, the subversion. Most old guys are of course clueless. Most others who don't get it think it's a silly song.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
The quantity of good music made now is greater than in any era before. The problem with (older) people claiming today's music is garbage is that they don't seem to make an effort to research beyond the Billboard lists. Sites like Pitchfork, Quietus, Resident Advisor etc. are a great place to start learning about current pop, rock, indie, electronic & experimental music.

Oh there is a lot of good music out there, but I think the point here is more about the pop chart stuff and the garbage I hear daily on the radio.

One of the reasons I love Roon and its integration with Tidal / Qobuz is the ability to search out new fantastic music.

Top Bottom