• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is snake-oil; then, there possibly is imitation snake-oil.
This one only costs 62 cents per ohm.
202401_xDuooLoad.jpg

I have no immediate need for one, and I don't think @amirm is in the habit of using one of these before testing HP amps but - as always - ymmv.;)
No, it is not a BT dongle, nor a shut-up stick. It's a load [don't ask "...of what?"].

Burn-in Tool
Model No. X-L01
Function: Connect to headphone out of your headphone amplifier or player, then burn-in it
Impedance: 16 ohms
Plug: 3.5mm headphone plug
Size: φ10*4.5cm
Price: $9.90

From <https://xduoo.net/product/burn-in-tool/>

:confused:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
View attachment 345063
I have no immediate need for one, and I don't think @amirm is in the habit of using one of these before testing HP amps but - as always - ymmv.;)
No, it is not a BT dongle, nor a shut-up stick. It's a load [don't ask "...of what?"].

Burn-in Tool
Model No. X-L01
Function: Connect to headphone out of your headphone amplifier or player, then burn-in it

Utterly pointless, but at least they aren't stupidly expensive; although I can think of better ways to spend $10.00. :facepalm:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
View attachment 345063

Burn-in Tool
Model No. X-L01

Don't tell me:
the 16 ohm version is the best value in terms of cost/ohm.
:cool:

I like to hand craft such things from a resistor and the appropriate plug.
You know, if I had need of one.

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
At least snake-oil in audio won't kill you. This got past my email Spam filter:

"Why 1 bottle of wine/day can accelerate fat_loss (must do this first!!)"

wineliver.png

I was curious to see what I "must do first," but the link was dead and I've probably infected my computer with something terrible. Hope I don't end up destitute next week... :cool:

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a hobby. It's fun.
I now use the past-tense for those activities.:facepalm:

I remember many meetings between Bourns/Ungar/pseudoid.
@pseudoid is the only one still standing, in the 21st Century.
Heck, google couldn't even unearth an image of a real Bourns power resistor.
202401_GreenResistors.jpg

No, they were NOT green, laser-etched, nor were they under $5 a pop!

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
ansuzswitch.jpg

"The Ansuz Acoustics PowerSwitch D2 is a deceptively simple product. €5360 ($5797)."

ansuzethernetcable.jpg

Ansuz Acoustics Digitalz D2 Ethernet Cable (€2160/$2336 per metre). A reviewer said "For best results, my situation requires three Ethernet cables."

A pair of Revel F208 speakers plus an NAD C298 amp cost less. At MSRP. :facepalm:

CapMan

Major Contributor
View attachment 346397

"The Ansuz Acoustics PowerSwitch D2 is a deceptively simple product. €5360 ($5797)."

View attachment 346398

Ansuz Acoustics Digitalz D2 Ethernet Cable (€2160/$2336 per metre). A reviewer said "For best results, my situation requires three Ethernet cables."

A pair of Revel F208 speakers plus an NAD C298 amp cost less. At MSRP. :facepalm:
A reviewer that admits to being a technology numpty, who tells us that his education about the importance of HiFi Ethernet cables came from … a HiFi salesman, and that because of this amazing gear a streamed digital album is elevated to … wait a minute … CD quality levels .

Jesus wept (with apologies to Jesus) :facepalm:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
More than $2000 for a meter of cable, and the plug is covered with cheapass shrink tubing :facepalm:

You'd think that when you make products so advanced that they apparently defy all known physics, they'd be able to afford some overmolding equipment.

Or maybe it's easier to sell snake-oil when it looks like it was made on some dude's kitchen table, because it makes it "more analogue" :D

AdrianusG

View attachment 346397

View attachment 346398

"The Ansuz Acoustics PowerSwitch D2 is a "The Ansuz Acoustics PowerSwitch D2 is a deceptively simple product. €5360 ($5797)." simple product. €5360 ($5797)."

Indeed, with strong emphasis on (deceptive)ly

Top Bottom