• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wine thread - what are you enjoying?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Edmunds St. John is hardly the stereotypical California winery!
No, it’s not, which is why I love Steve’s wines. His Wiley-Fenaughty is easily the best Syrah made in the US.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In warm climate, you have very few varieties light enough to create usual rose wine. Most of them are very strong and complex. Many of these are zero maceration, but check the colour. Very high gastronomic value. They are complex, herbal, mineral, intense. You can pair dozens of dishes with these.
And it's getting warmer in the EU as well. Within a few years we can grow grapes from the Rhone in Palatia/Germany.
I have a feeling we're about to see a big step towards complex rose wines in upcoming years. People are getting tired of those simple "strawberry+raspberry+floral" styles.
I was never impressed by those lighter rosé wines from southern France. In Palatia there are more and more wineries making very fruity and intense rosés. One of my favorites is Pretty in Pink by Matthias Kleinmann in Birkweiler. And just recently I tried an austrian Zweigelt rosé by Andreas Unger and bought a case. It's not really dry and has maybe a little bit to much of a parfume note but it has real charme.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
No rosés here lately, although I'm looking forward to drinking some soon, most likely from the canary islands (Bermejos Rosado) or Lorraine (Migot).

Price creep is killing my favorite deeper rosés. The one-and-only Ch. Simone in particular. Maxime Magnon's Metisse (from Corbieres) is still not completely unreasonable and incredible. Steak rosé.

In other news, I have to hand it to Cutter for this Oregon Zin we had last night. Really stood out, and I did not expect it. Had it after some Volnay and Barbaresco, and it was refreshing. At ~$30 it's an easy recommend.

Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 8.21.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 8.21.17 AM.png

killdozzer

Major Contributor
And it's getting warmer in the EU as well. Within a few years we can grow grapes from the Rhone in Palatia/Germany.

I was never impressed by those lighter rosé wines from southern France. In Palatia there are more and more wineries making very fruity and intense rosés. One of my favorites is Pretty in Pink by Matthias Kleinmann in Birkweiler. And just recently I tried an austrian Zweigelt rosé by Andreas Unger and bought a case. It's not really dry and has maybe a little bit to much of a parfume note but it has real charme.
True. I also grew tired of Provence Rose. I can sip it, but that's about it. As I said, among those in the pic, most don't have maceration at all. You crush and press. Still, most of them are very mineral, flinty, earthy... Korta Katarina, Think Pink and Rose Marino stand out. You can have shrimp risoto, most of sea carpaccios, fish pate, fish broth, striped red mullet buzzara, bottarga, grilled squid, squid risotto. And let me tell you, if you ever try Easter ham with a Dalmatian rose, you WILL NOT believe. It's pure alchemy.

@Ken1951 some recomms I can really stand behind.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I'd skip the dead bird, but the wine looks nice!

Karu

Forum Donor
Not a fan of the style but not bad

Attachments

• 082F3ADF-ABE2-414F-BF2F-4221D22999E7.jpeg
    082F3ADF-ABE2-414F-BF2F-4221D22999E7.jpeg
    292.9 KB · Views: 63

Karu

Forum Donor
Much more interesting, decided to follow in the area for dinner.

Attachments

• 6A31B59B-D820-4776-B0D5-AEC0BBAA1E5D.jpeg
    6A31B59B-D820-4776-B0D5-AEC0BBAA1E5D.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 45
OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Love the color!
Agreed. It's wines like that which make it so frustrating that most restaurants' BTG selections are such shit. Sure, the mark up on this was healthy but the wine was high quality and vastly more enjoyable than 99% of glasses on most lists.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Agreed. It's wines like that which make it so frustrating that most restaurants' BTG selections are such shit. Sure, the mark up on this was healthy but the wine was high quality and vastly more enjoyable than 99% of glasses on most lists.
There was a somm in San Francisco named Mark Ellenbogen, who put together absolutely outstanding BTG programs, notably at Slanted Door and Zuni Cafe. The world needs many more Marks. We're looking at potentially opening a new restaurant/wine place right next door to our coffee/café (which can't serve alcohol), and I will pledge that our BTG will be quite satisfactory.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
We very publicly offered to open any bottle on the list under $100 if you bought half of it. The remaining half would get hand sold BTG. Rarely had wine left over and when we did it was good for staff training. People would come in later at night just to see what was open.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
We very publicly offered to open any bottle on the list under $100 if you bought half of it. The remaining half would get hand sold BTG. Rarely had wine left over and when we did it was good for staff training. People would come in later at night just to see what was open.
That is a very cool idea!

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you do this, we're gonna have to schedule an ASR wine thread meetup there. I'm sure it would be a great spot.
I doubt I'd be the first patron but I would certainly put it on my map.

But if there's an ASR gathering that would change the equation, obviously.

Hope it works out!

hello_there

There was a somm in San Francisco named Mark Ellenbogen, who put together absolutely outstanding BTG programs, notably at Slanted Door and Zuni Cafe. The world needs many more Marks. We're looking at potentially opening a new restaurant/wine place right next door to our coffee/café (which can't serve alcohol), and I will pledge that our BTG will be quite satisfactory.
Ha!

I opened the original Slanted Door and worked with Mark as a server.

And thus my love for riesling was born.

Had I been offered to place a bet that I would never hear his name on this site, I'd have jumped at the offer.

Shows what I know!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Ha!

I opened the original Slanted Door and worked with Mark as a server.

And thus my love for riesling was born.

Had I been offered to place a bet that I would never hear his name on this site, I'd have jumped at the offer.

Shows what I know!
Small world! I was a regular at the old Mission location, so we probably met more than once. I knew Mark through Joe Dougherty and that gang. I think Mark's in Italy these days.

And now I'm in Riesling Heaven.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
If you do this, we're gonna have to schedule an ASR wine thread meetup there. I'm sure it would be a great spot.
Also @GD Fan we have a concert space on the second floor, so we can really close the circle. Love to host an event like that.

Top Bottom