• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Paul Schumann is a respected reviewer. You are not. Hence I would much rather accept Schumann's comments than yours, especially as I suspect you never even heard the device in question.
Poes law again. I can't tell if you are serious or parodying audiophiles.

Freddy

"hearing is believing, I guess." Well it is for me. I do not hang graphs up on my wall and worship them. I would also much rather listen to a piece of equipment and then comment than just disparage it without doing so. You know how I came to this conclusion? I was in the market for a dac a while ago. I listened to a number of Dacs at the top of the measurement list here and disliked many of them. I listened to a number of dacs based on technology that some of you disparage, and found they are far to my preference. As a dedicated live music follower, (opera), why should I consider something that does not appeal and does not sound like a live performance?

AlephAlpha001

The greatest test ever: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...bout-a-potato-or-even-mud.236248/post-3497210

TLDR: A blind test between a direct CD rip, and via a decent interconnect, and via probes through a bowl of mud, and via probes through a potato (and a banana, I think) failed to produce a significant detection rate. So yes, there are audiophile potatoes, as much as there are audiophile anythings.
Brilliant! Thread winner. Now to pipe the Trout Quintet through a suitable trout. Accept no substitutes. Case in point:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
"hearing is believing, I guess." Well it is for me. I do not hang graphs up on my wall and worship them. I would also much rather listen to a piece of equipment and then comment than just disparage it without doing so. You know how I came to this conclusion? I was in the market for a dac a while ago. I listened to a number of Dacs at the top of the measurement list here and disliked many of them. I listened to a number of dacs based on technology that some of you disparage, and found they are far to my preference. As a dedicated live music follower, (opera), why should I consider something that does not appeal and does not sound like a live performance?
Not everyone is relentlessly gullible.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I totally agree with you. Some people don not just believe what they are told to believe, but listen.
Do you just listen, though? Or do you look, as well? Do you know in advance what you're listening to? In which case you are believing what you're told to believe, by your subconscious, and a mass of inherited preconceptions that no one - not me, not you, not anybody - can avoid.

Ears-only is great, but the "only" part is vital. No looking, no prior information, otherwise the audition process is meaningless. Hard to swallow, I know, but that's human nature. It has been demonstrated over and over and over again.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I do not hang graphs up on my wall and worship them.

Neither does anybody else :D

I would also much rather listen to a piece of equipment and then comment than just disparage it without doing so.

Some things can be disparaged safely without concern. For instance, I have no problem disparaging the idea that it's good for your health to drive a car head-on into a tree. I feel no need to test the validity of my scepticism by crashing my car like that.

If it walks like placebo and talks like placebo, it most likely is placebo.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
No worries, I like distortion too. So much that most of what I listen to, has it mastered in spades. However, I like that distortion on the source, not on the gear.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
What are your qualifications in determining the value of hi fi equipment?

I hold a master's degree in electrical engineering and 30 years of experience in circuit design and embedded systems design.

So you hold no qualifications in audio engineering and sound production? OK.

tenor.gif

kongwee

Major Contributor
https://www.analogueseduction.net/t...-emperor-double-crown-loudspeaker-cables.html

Anyone want the 3m biwire option for £52.000 ($68.000) + vat? It looks great.
Silver gold alloy, itself it is expensive. I believe beat all the cost price of any cable. 99% twisted prefect pair. Highest external interference rejection as it claim by the manufacture. Conduct better than copper. Super over spec cable. Personally, I do not like the sound. I like their apparent company Crystal cable better.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Silver gold alloy, itself it is expensive. I believe beat all the cost price of any cable. 99% twisted prefect pair. Highest external interference as it claim by the manufacture. Conduct better than copper. Super over spec cable. Personally, I do not like the sound. I like their apparent company Crystal cable better.
I'm starting to think this is a badly coded bot.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Everyone is writing software...
Speak for yourself...
It was always a binary doorA (hw?) or doorB (sw?) question during the yearly performance-review times. The Engineers behind doorA considered other Engineers behind doorB as weirdos and necessary evil.
TL&DR version is that *Software is always unfinished business... and unlike *hardware; there is no (possibility of) pride of ownership...
Neither does anybody else :D
Speak for yourself...
After I read @Freddy's comment, I actually got up looking around the walls of the house to make sure there were no graphs hanging anywhere.
But I like graphs!:D

DonR

Major Contributor
Speak for yourself...
It was always a binary doorA (hw?) or doorB (sw?) question during the yearly performance-review times. The Engineers behind doorA considered other Engineers behind doorB as weirdos and necessary evil.
TL&DR version is that *Software is always unfinished business... and unlike *hardware; there is no (possibility of) pride of ownership...
My other son spent 8 months writing software and then took a pay cut to release the magic smoke in batteries and power electronics instead. He is much happier now (especially when flame results).

Top Bottom