• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

mansr

Major Contributor
That's the big one. And yet we get told that if you can't hear the benefit of these tweaks the most likely explanation is that 'Your system is not transparent enough.' It's a dichotomy isn't it?
I think the word you're looking for is oxymoron. Or maybe just moron.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
It's not a problem... until you notice the void staring back!
aVwneDw_700b.jpg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I super-glued the S/PDIF fibers together for a better connection but now I can't d:facepalm:o A/B testing anymore.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
$6000 for a pine box full of dirt, or dreams and unicorn tears depending on your intelligence.

$6000 box of dirt here

I’ve only got a lowly electronic/mechanical engineering degree so I’m obviously not of sufficient educational nuance to formulate a learned opinion without listening first.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
$6000 for a pine box full of dirt, or dreams and unicorn tears depending on your intelligence.

$6000 box of dirt here

I’ve only got a lowly electronic/mechanical engineering degree so I’m obviously not of sufficient educational nuance to formulate a learned opinion without listening first.

I guess you're supposed to just sit back and "enjoy the music" while you pay off that credit card bill!

"As a reviewer, I have to trust my ears and push my skepticism aside." :facepalm:

fatoldgit

$6000 box of dirt here

I read the review so you didnt have to suffer.

Aside from all the usual hyperbole was this gem:

Wynn told me the differences I would hear wouldn't be immediate, so I started playing The Sundays "Blind" [DGCD-24479] and went to the kitchen to start working on dinner. About 20 minutes later, I noticed that the music suddenly got appreciably louder.

Holy crap... not only blacker blacks and veils lifted but a box of dirt suddenly makes the music louder.

I am still shaking my head at that an hour or two after reading it.

Who is stupid enough to believe something like that.

Peter

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor

AlephAlpha001

You can green the outside of the USB connector. Oh, wait, those are becoming passe, too. You can green the...oh, hell. Just paint the listening room green.

Rick "the question of why there is room for improvement in the first place has never been answered" Denney
I hope you're not suggesting that a Green AudioQuest cable is state of the art? Go to the back of the class!

AlephAlpha001

I'm new to this game. Has anyone ever marketed an Audiophile Potato?

And would planting it in the grounding box make any discernible audible difference? For a sufficiently resolving system, you understand, of course.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm new to this game. Has anyone ever marketed an Audiophile Potato?

And would planting it in the grounding box make any discernible audible difference? For a sufficiently resolving system, you understand, of course.
Yes, it would make a discernible edible difference. Oh... you said audible... of course not... don't be silly. The only audible difference would be if you ate that potato (or slept with it under your pillow) then the veil is lifted. I recommend that after eating the potato, that you listen to "Tubular Bells". So... eat the tuber... and listen to the bells. I hope that helped.

mansr

Major Contributor
Yes, it would make a discernible edible difference. Oh... you said audible... of course not... don't be silly. The only audible difference would be if you ate that potato (or slept with it under your pillow) then the veil is lifted. I recommend that after eating the potato, that you listen to "Tubular Bells". So... eat the tuber... and listen to the bells. I hope that helped.
For best effect, leave the potato out until it goes thoroughly green before eating it.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
The problem with potatoes is, they need to be fermented and distilled first. But once done they can very much affect the listening experience.

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
While we are making fun of all of this, PS today resurfaced the statement of the importance of fuses. How many actual veils does an audiophile fuse remove? How many layers of grey does it darken? Can you now hear when a second violinist passed gas during the recording?

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
While we are making fun of all of this, PS today resurfaced the statement of the importance of fuses. How many actual veils does an audiophile fuse remove? How many layers of grey does it darken? Can you now hear when a second violinist passed gas during the recording?

That’s easy, any moderately resolving system with stock fuses can do that. Just listen for all the other voices slowly drifting to off-stage left and right positions…

Top Bottom