• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your loudspeakers are too small!

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm convinced my speakers, your speakers and 98% of enthusiasts speakers are too small. Too small not only to provide enough headroom for uncompressed loud dynamic peaks, but too small (and inefficient) to provide micro-dynamics at lower volumes. Increasing amplifier wattage does not solve this issue.

I can't see a way out of this scenario, big speakers aren't exactly inconspicuous (or beautiful for that matter), but I think of the reviews of 5" or 6" bass driver bookshelf speakers looking for ever better measurements could just be chasing our collective tails. Is there really something groundbreaking yet to come out of such small speakers, however expensive?

Even the Genelec Ones have an optional W371A bass unit to go with it, to free them up from reproducing the difficult bass region, suggesting that for all it's clever design, you can't fight physics and what physics demands is more cone area & larger cabinet size.

If you have the space (and most of us do), then what you need are bigger speakers.
Nonsense.

Sorry about your size anxiety.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
913804853-Funny-Minion-Quotes-Coffee.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Just another example from an experimental setup of my own. It was a lot of fun when some audio friends heard it at my private 'concert for loudspeakers'.
What's the purpose of the suspended speaker, a tweeter?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Looks like a novel approach to create a coaxial system.
It's been done before.
Below is a Kleinhorn that belonged to Nelson Pass many years ago.
I always considered the wood used for the mouth of the bass horn WAY too thin.
kleinhorn2_2.png

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I also once built a loudspeaker based on a Nelson-Pass template. Very exactly according to the template. Its Name was J-Low, when I remember it right. It was a misconstruction, sorry. I have more fun following my own ideas anyway. I still have a picture of it, but no time now, as I'm about to go to a concert.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know women who own big speakers themselves. So it's certainly not a general thing.

An ex of me who is still a close friend just installed a pair of big JBL 4675C's in her fairly large living room to replace her modified Kiplisch horns. They are powered with Bryston amps (2x 28B for the bass cabinet and a 2.5B for the tweeters) and a MiniDSP flex DSP as crossover. She is planning to rebuild the bass cabinets (they are a bit beaten up) in multiplex birch and finish them with lineseed oil, as the black finish is ugly she said. The Kiplisch horns are sold.

And another women i know has a Altec Lansing A7's (288 tweeter and 416 woofer) in her house with added diy subs (sealed cabinets with UM18-22 drivers i did build for her). She uses Manley tube amps for the A7 and a powersoft X4 for her 4 subs and a "tuned to the system" analog active 3way crossover build by Marchand electronics.

But not all women are like that, i know...
I know a woman who said “when you die those speakers (Genelec) will be gone right behind you”.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I know a woman who said “when you die those speakers (Genelec) will be gone right behind you”.
LOL. As long as he has them now, that's all the counts.
Maybe he should ask her for an XXXL size coffin and put his Genelec in it.
Then they'd both be happy. ;)

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OR be buried in them. 1/2 in each JBL L300 would be about right. :eek:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
in each JBL L300
Funny, in another thread I list the L300’s the worst speaker I’d ever heard. They permanently put me off JBL.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OR be buried in them. 1/2 in each JBL L300 would be about right. :eek:
If cremated, the ashes could go IN the Genelec's
They'd make an excellent urn. LOL

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Funny, in another thread I list the L300’s the worst speaker I’d ever heard.
My my my, they weren't that bad.
Thousands loved them.
So who's right?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Thousands loved them.
So who's right?
Is there right and wrong in liking?
(except when people pretend to like or not to show class/elitism/secretknowlegde/other boring stuff)

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thousands loved them.
So who's right?
Well they’re loud but it’s the 1 note bass that separates them from a good speaker.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there right and wrong in liking?

Yes.

You can't say "I like fast acceleration and going over 100mph on a racetrack" and then say that those are the reasons you bought a Model T. That's not expressing a subjective preference, it's demonstrating illogical thinking and willful stupidity.

For audio, that means someone can't say "I like the JBL L100/similar bass-lite Klipsch designs because they have deeper, more extended bass than the Devialet Phantom."

That is no longer expressing a subjective preference, but rather demonstrating that one is insane or lying to themselves and others.

Top Bottom