• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

YAMAHA RN 803 D - ELAC DEBUT F6 - Combination

George GK

Dear All
Good Day

I recently listened to the Elac Debut DF62 and the sound was close to my requirements (blues,rock ,metal). Since i'm considering to buy a pair of these, i would like your technical advice whether my amplifier is sufficient to drive the specific speakers without a problem or if i should proceed with a more solid one.If so , what amplifier would you suggest ?

I own the Yamaha RN803 D with the below specs :

High Dynamic Power/Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) 140 / 170 / 220 / 290 W
Minimum RMS Output Power 100 W + 100 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.019% THD)

Elac Specs:

Speaker type: 3-way, bass reflex
Tweeter: 1 x 1-inch cloth dome
Midrange: 1 x 6.5-inch woven aramid-fiber cone
Woofer: 2 x 6.5-inch woven aramid-fiber cone
Crossover frequency: 100 / 3,000 Hz
Frequency response: 39 to 20,000 Hz
Sensitivity: 87 dB at 2.83 v/1m
Recommended amplifier power: 30 to 150 wpc
Nominal/peak power handling: 80 / 150 wpc
Nominal impedance: 6 Ω; minimum 5.4 Ω
Binding posts: 5-way metal
Magnetic shielding: No
Cabinet finishes: Black brushed vinyl
Accessories included: Removable fabric grille
Height: 43.0 in / 1,092 mm
Width: 8.5 in / 216 mm
Depth: 10.0 in / 254 mm
Net weight (each): 46.7 lb / 21.2 kg

Thank you in advance

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Your amp should be fine with these speakers. If you listen loud, you might see a slight improvement by getting a more powerful amp with more headroom, but it is not necessary, and it probably won't make much, if any difference.

For speakers this price, I would not recommend upgrading your amp. The Yamaha you have is a good match for those speakers.

If you just want to play with gear and get a new amp fir fun, you could get a March Audio P502 or a pair of Schiit Vidars. You would also need a preamp to replace some of the functionality of the Yamaha.

These would be better, but also overkill, and you would likely be better off just spending more on speakers. Those speakers do look nice, and the DBR62 showed excellent objective performance in Amir's review. If you were to spend more on speakers, you would have to choose wisely to find something better, and you might not find anything you like more anyway.

Top Bottom