• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wrong power supply fried the amp?

aristofane

I have a Fosi Audio Q5 that works on 12V DC and Schiit Magni Heresy that works on 15V AC. They have the same power plug and I inverted the two cables, the Q5 wasn't working while the led of the Heresy was on, after I checked the power supplies and I figured out the mistake I swapped the cables and now the Q5 was working fine while the Heresy doesn't seem to turn on anymore.

Did I fry the amp? What component could have been damaged from the mistake? Is it reparable?

I have a Fosi Audio Q5 that works on 12V DC and Schiit Magni Heresy that works on 15V AC. They have the same power plug and I inverted the two cables, the Q5 wasn't working while the led of the Heresy was on, after I checked the power supplies and I figured out the mistake I swapped the cables and now the Q5 was working fine while the Heresy doesn't seem to turn on anymore.

Did I fry the amp? What component could have been damaged from the mistake? Is it reparable?
Unfortunately they aren't called power 'bricks' for nothing. The only solution to the same sized inserts would be to mark each lead with masking tape saying Fosi and Schiit.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Actually I don't think so, it would be strange for a lower voltage to cause damage, so I don't expect the underpowered Heresy to be damaged, if the FOSI had been damaged it would have made sense, but you wrote that going back to 12V it works regularly while the Heresy doesn't. .
The Heresy's 15V power supply may be damaged

I missed that they were 15V alternating current.... (what a strange choice) then I don't know, wait for someone more competent

blackgate

One of the reasons I avoid anything audio that is powered by a wall wart/brick.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I would have expected the Fosi to be damaged if anything by having a large'ish AC power input rather than DC. Drop a note to Schiit and see what they say. There may be a fuse inside; I do not see anything on the exterior.

wwenze

Major Contributor
15VAC supply going into a 12VDC equipment,

1) The reverse-polarity-protection diode will short the negative voltages straight to ground
2) Even in the absence of (1), feeding AC straight into a power supply capacitor is like feeding straight into a short

Grab a multimeter and see if the 15VAC is still alive.

I missed that they were 15V alternating current.... (what a strange choice) then I don't know, wait for someone more competent

Not uncommon if the designer needs to generate a ±voltage from a 2-pin supply.

OP
aristofane

aristofane

1) The reverse-polarity-protection diode will short the negative voltages straight to ground
2) Even in the absence of (1), feeding AC straight into a power supply capacitor is like feeding straight into a short

So maybe it's the power supply that is broken and not the amp itself?

OP
aristofane

aristofane

UPDATE: I've measured the output of the 15V power supply with a multimeter and it doesn't seem to have power, so maybe the amp is fine

Top Bottom