• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

World's larges engine

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
may well be 2 stroke.
It is, you can tell 3 ways, One the height of the block is tall, a requirement for the long connecting rods and cylinder/ports. Second the air box covers for ring inspections
and 3 the cylinder ports you saw in the video. There are a few more ways.

I love the way they say the "emissions" are at sea and they won't bother anyone. That is the dumbest statement ever made. They say they can meet TIER 3 emissions, not even with #1 diesel (kerosene), JP4 or JP5 and they are trying with bunker oils. Why do you think there are so many engine failures going in and out ports? The bottom of the barrel fuel supplies and that means super pollution to say the least. The sea is full of animals and there are 1000s of incidences with cargo ships and whales alone now add the tonnage of emissions and they are close to air traffic contamination. Is there a better way? Hell yes, rotary sails, the problem is the rotary sails, they take up deck space.

2 cycle scavenger engines are actually outlawed in many areas because of noise and NOX pollution. The old Detroits were outlawed for the same reason
gross polluters no matter what fuel, turbos, or blowers they used. The main reason the LA basin was so polluted, NOX and unburned hydrocarbons were
the main contributor. Leaded fuels, carburetors, 2 cycles and over fueled 4 cycle diesels. I hate getting behind the loggers. I just pull over.

A diesel is simple to understand. 2300psi or more is a diesel. Less requires a + atmosphere by either fuel, compressor/pump or exhaust/pump or both
and in some cases a turbo feeder for each turbo feeding a blower. Depends on the altitude they are working at. I've seen Cats, and Cummins both
working at 15,000 feet for trams, lifts, high mining water removal and a few highland bunkers.

The early US subs, WWI and many WWII used a hybrid diesel, 1/2 was for power and 1/2 was to pressure and push the ballast tanks empty and evacuated
the interior of the sub if needed. The engines were so successful the US hid thousand of the engines in switchers in rail yards in the event of a war breaking
out. They used a hybrid in mining too. It would use X number of cylinders for power and the remaining to pump air into the mines or evacuate water.
There were a few steam hybrids also. It really depended on the fuel supply from wood, to coal, to coal oil and then on to diesel #1 or 2.
Remember they just burned off the waste (gasoline and all the natural gas) because they wanted kerosene # 1 for lanterns and early diesels.

The pushers that used to assist the early diesel and die/electric locomotives over heavy grades were always huge oil fire steam locomotives. BUDDY they
had all the HP/Torque and weight to push any load over into Truckee, a main hub and distribution for the early western supply lines. That was used even
into the 60s if I remember. They were used to brake a long freight going down a hill to. UP Big Boys 4-8-8-4.

I was a real HO junkie for many years. Steam was always cool to play with. I have a few of the old brass Big Boys all painted up. HO trains, Mcintosh
Russco and Thoren TT. Better than eatin' bugs!

Regards

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@OldHvyMec marine propulsion is transitioning to LNG which runs a lot cleaner.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I really miss fixing a broken friggin' boat in high seas.
You remind me of us losing steering in our boat in rolling seas with the whole family onboard. The engines where steering shaft was, was located below deck. I struggle to get in there with them being super hot (there was barely enough clearance to crawl in there). Then comes a wave and it pours into the hole. Steam is generated and here I am where I could easily get swamped by the water! Managed to get the engines straight enough to drive to the dock. A stupid set screw had come loose due to lack of locktite. :(

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!
Mostly.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
My nephew works on a decommissioned crab fishing boat that's been converted to catch and study great white sharks.

Hopefully the boat is big enough to do that...

madrac

@OldHvyMec marine propulsion is transitioning to LNG which runs a lot cleaner.
and maybe other cleaner fuel sources. bunker fuel, based on the contaminants listed earlier in this thread, would be a no go, at least in waters impacted by emissions legislations enacted around the world.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
marine propulsion is transitioning to LNG which runs a lot cleaner.
That would be really cool but the cost vs bunker oils will be impossible to sell to anyone BUT the US and maybe the greenies in NZ, Australia, maybe the
EU and the Scandinavians, BUT none of the middle east, China, Slovak nations, south of the US border countries are willing to switch. You see the ports now
they are a real mess behind bunker oils. Quadruple the fuel cost. LOL That will go over like a big old FART in church.

Just saying. We can't even stop the assholes from dumping garbage in the oceans. Copper, silver, Iron, aluminum recyclers are some dirty friggin'
people, they burn strip most of the cabling. Look at Mexico City, Well try to look a Mexico city. Holy COW. It's horrible and that blows north not south
Thanks to pissin' off old Santa Anna, and his nasty side kick El Nino. Little turd! :)

PLG and LNG engines used to outlast the chassis in every case I ever saw. 7-UP delivery trucks had one issue clutches every 50-100K
BUT Zero wear compared to sulfur based fuels on the engine. They ran Clark boxes. They would wear out a Clark gear box, THAT'S hard
to do. 1.2 million miles wasn't uncommon. Gas block 250K. Time for an inflame.

Super Sails are the best idea I've see subsidizing power with fuel fire power plants, maybe even solar and super rotary sails combined.

Makes my head hurt. LOL

Regards

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
Hopefully the boat is big enough to do that...
A double feature of Jaws I and II for a little perspective, ay? I've dove off the Great Barrier going some welding a couple of times in my youth.
A great white is just fine when you're in a BIG boat with a harpoon cannon. I'm not a fan of tempting fate with nature. I refer to Mark Irwin. RIP

You help a friend out and get stabbed in the heart. Geez that was weird when that happened. Friggin' Tragedy!

Keith_W

Major Contributor
A double feature of Jaws I and II for a little perspective, ay? I've dove off the Great Barrier going some welding a couple of times in my youth.
A great white is just fine when you're in a BIG boat with a harpoon cannon. I'm not a fan of tempting fate with nature. I refer to Mark Irwin. RIP

You help a friend out and get stabbed in the heart. Geez that was weird when that happened. Friggin' Tragedy!

(1) It's Steve Irwin, not Mark Irwin, and (2) he was filming for his documentary at the time not trying to help his friend.

It's funny how attitudes towards him changed after his fatal accident. Before that many people thought Irwin was a bit annoying, hamming up his "Aussie-ness". Contrary to what the rest of the world thinks, most of us do not speak like that. It's a bit like thinking that all of the USA talks like some hillbilly from Alabama. I used to shudder when Americans thought he was some kind of Australian cultural ambassador, he was so cringey. After his fatal accident, all that was forgotten and forgiven.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Steve Irwin was fatally stung while filming a stingray which he got too close to.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
(1) It's Steve Irwin, not Mark Irwin, and (2) he was filming for his documentary at the time not trying to help his friend.

It's funny how attitudes towards him changed after his fatal accident. Before that many people thought Irwin was a bit annoying, hamming up his "Aussie-ness". Contrary to what the rest of the world thinks, most of us do not speak like that. It's a bit like thinking that all of the USA talks like some hillbilly from Alabama. I used to shudder when Americans thought he was some kind of Australian cultural ambassador, he was so cringey. After his fatal accident, all that was forgotten and forgiven.
Come on now. The real Hillbillies are in Tennessee minus those that went to Beverly Hills.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
A stupid set screw had come loose due to lack of locktite.
Oops! The value of locktite and the right kind is the difference in something staying together and you getting it back apart. Blue, Red and White (you have to
heat).

I'll tell what's spooky, I was on a tug and there was a fire in the front portion of the bilge behind a guy changing a starting aid bottle. He managed to
puncture the can, spay one of the two engines and set it ablaze, that ruptures an active diesel supply being pumped at 5psi through a 1" supply line.
It got hot QUICK and then the Halon extinguisher goes off. I got one good breath for a minute climb in gear. I had to pull the other guy out of that
friggin' hole who was blown up and really burned.

He weighed over 250lbs. I swear he felt like a feather. One handed snatch from his leather belt. His pants were burned off below the knees and his face
and chest were set ablaze because he had a heavy beard and was as hairy a person as he could be. He went up like a torch. He wasn't even wearing cotton.
He was a crewman on that boat.

That put a stern rule in place for me. I don't work in confined space with anyone unless they were part of MY crew.
That cost 250K and burnt the crap out of my hands for the 2nd time.

The maintenance boat pushed off the blaze was so intense. I was in leathers as usual and if I wouldn't have been I would have looked like the other guy.
He was over a year with several grafts. Me, 8 fingers and both thumbs 2nd and 3rd and my neck from reaching in and pulling that guy out. He took a
nice gulp of fire and then halon. His eyes were as big as saucers and he couldn't take a breath. He went out like a light. It probably saved him. I got him
on deck and his airways open back up and I started rescue breathing. After getting burnt I wasn't going to let him die, but I sure felt like kickin' him in
the the old onions for being so darn irresponsible with that ether can. Ether and diesel are a serious fire and the way he was dressed. In rayon, nylon
crap.

The worst fires are on water, no doubt about it. You wouldn't think a metal boat would burn. They sure do. There is a TON of hydraulic oil, diesel fuel
rubber tires, ropes, people they all burn pretty good once they catch on fire.

he was filming for his documentary at the time not trying to help his friend.
I was referring to the stingray that killed him, "as his friend." The report says he didn't harassing the creature.

I lived in Alabama for 12 years and was born in WACO Texas. "Hillbillies" are a little further north, real close to the RED NECKS.

You know the guys that wore a red bandanna around their NECK to show solidarity in the Union process. My father in law was a RED NECK
in the upper desert mining towns of Arizona in the 1930s. It means they were Union organizers just like ME!

BUT then I did get Mr. Irwin first name wrong. My apologies to Steve, where ever he's at in eternity. I've worked with a few guy from
Perth, soil mixing columns using Bauer BG15s

We all used to watch him. I never had a dim view of the guy myself. I just thought he was a little crazy messing with crocks and snakes and
spiders the occasional bat and sharks and then a friggin' stingray.
many people thought Irwin was a bit annoying,
No just the ones you know. The people I knew, really liked the guy. We watched him from the start. Great family show, for sober family watching
that is. I liked him, because drinking wasn't an Olympic sport with the guy. I think he was pretty genuine.

I admit I'm not in to crock kissin' though! But I did catch one tryin' to eat my dog in Jamacia. That's him right there 37 year later.
Shot him right between the eyes with a P-14-ACP45 twice. He was in my swimming pool. I don't like snakes either. It's the Alabama thing.

Regards

Attachments

• 20141124_142307[1].jpg
    20141124_142307[1].jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
one of my 'hobbies' is that i love to keep a mental track of all the Russian ships lost in the current disagreement in Ukraine

its because news seems to give it little shrift... the Russians have lost another ship

but the details get glossed over and even the number of hands lost... because the public does not have much care of this sort of thing

BUT i always find it interesting from an engineering scale

this is a ship that was lost a few months ago:

there's a lot of detail there that would be missed if you are not of an engineering bent

this thing is $35 mil. which is CHEAP in the scheme of things

67m long... 2,5k miles range

here's a good look at the engine in this boat

https://www.reddit.com/r/WeirdWheels/comments/ns2hzh

so to get an 800 ton ship to 30 knots or 35mph or 56km/h you need

THREE turbo diesel motors of:

143.5 liters displacement or 8,760 cu in

that weighs 5,5 tons each or 12,000lb

that has 42 cyls. in 7 banks of inline six

so THREE x 3,000kW or 4,000hp... 9,000kW or 12,000hp in total

and allegedly 10,000 ft lb torque... EACH

that's a silly amount of a power to get to a mere 30 knots or 35 miles and that shows how hard it is to get boats up to speed

tomtoo

Major Contributor
one of my 'hobbies' is that i love to keep a mental track of all the Russian ships lost in the current disagreement in Ukraine

its because news seems to give it little shrift... the Russians have lost another ship

but the details get glossed over and even the number of hands lost... because the public does not have much care of this sort of thing

BUT i always find it interesting from an engineering scale

this is a ship that was lost a few months ago:

there's a lot of detail there that would be missed if you are not of an engineering bent

this thing is $35 mil. which is CHEAP in the scheme of things

67m long... 2,5k miles range

here's a good look at the engine in this boat

https://www.reddit.com/r/WeirdWheels/comments/ns2hzh

so to get an 800 ton ship to 30 knots or 35mph or 56km/h you need

THREE turbo diesel motors of:

143.5 liters displacement or 8,760 cu in

that weighs 5,5 tons each or 12,000lb

that has 42 cyls. in 7 banks of inline six

so THREE x 3,000kW or 4,000hp... 9,000kW or 12,000hp in total

and allegedly 10,000 ft lb torque... EACH

that's a silly amount of a power to get to a mere 30 knots or 35 miles and that shows how hard it is to get boats up to speed

More u-boot engines of this kinde.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Water is 800 times denser than air...

Top Bottom