• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Ultra

Narrator

Maybe I am wrong but I am afraid that for the WiiM amp there is no usb output and I expect the same for the Ultra

It was mentioned in wiimhome forum.

Wiim Support.JPG

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Joffy1780

Well it wouldnt make any sense that way?
How come? I'm not sure why you would want a USB audio input when it can play anything stored on your PC etc over DLNA?
I'm not sure a USB output is needed, either, but the one thing people have asked for above anything else (on the Wiim Forum) is a USB output. They seem to think USB output is 'cleaner' :confused:

Tremolo

Posted earlier today on one of local sites:

Not sure if there's anything new here, but thought I'd share it.

"... dedicated phono input with ground connector, HDMI ARC input, front-mounted 3.5mm headphone jack, optical in/out, analogue line-in/out, coaxial out, subwoofer out and USB-A for media playback"

Noob101

Forum Donor
Specifically eARC, or HDMI ARC in general?

Because the WiiM Ultra will almost certainly have an HDMI ARC input.

That they omitted eARC makes sense to me, since the Ultra is firmly a Stereo device.
Thanks for your response. Any idea why the Bluesound Node X uses eARC?

gwing

Forum Donor
How come? I'm not sure why you would want a USB audio input when it can play anything stored on your PC etc over DLNA?
I'm not sure a USB output is needed, either, but the one thing people have asked for above anything else (on the Wiim Forum) is a USB output. They seem to think USB output is 'cleaner' :confused:

Cleaner???

However USB does offer the advantage of an asynchronous connection to the DAC, and often the ability to handle higher bit rates should you also regard that as good.

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
My use is a niche case, but I will explain why USB will benefit me.

I have KEF LS60 wireless speakers but, internally, they do not have room compensation. For room correction I use a Raspberry Pi running CamillaDSP. I use a miniDSP Streamer kit as digital my I/O for my Raspberry Pi, and use a WiiM for streaming. My setup is:

WiiM --> miniDSP Streamer kit input --> Raspberry Pi --> miniDSP Streamer kit output --> LS60

The issue I run into is that, using the miniDSP Streamer kit as the digital input to the Raspberry Pi, CamillaDSP cannot recognize sample rate changes. E.g., If I set the WiiM to 192k, it works fine as long as Tidal is streaming the music at 192k. But, if the next song that comes up is recorded at 44.1k, Tidal will stream it at that rate, and the music comes out garbled, even if the WiiM still is set to 192k. The only thing that works is leaving the WiiM set to 44.1k.

There is a package, camilladsp-setrate, that will automatically configure CamillaDSP to use the detected sample rate. It does not work with the miniDSP Streamer kit because the miniDSP Streamer kit does not output a sample rate change notification needed by camilladsp-setrate to detect the sample rate change. Using a USB input, though, camilladsp-setrate is supposed to be able to detect the sample rate change. Thus, I am looking forward to outputting from a WiiM directly to the Raspberry Pi via USB, with a setup as follows:

WiiM --> Raspberry Pi --> miniDSP Streamer kit output --> LS60

Supposedly this will work to allow me to to set Tidal to stream at the highest available rate, and have CamillaDSP automatically change the sample rate on music that gets streamed at a lower sample rate.

Top Bottom