• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro - Review & Measurements (Streamer)

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
QUESTION:

Would the WiiM Amp be suitable at all for driving KEF LS50 speakers?

I have a non-audiophile friend (though he really loves the sound of the KEFS) who owns the LS50 speakers and he's currently using a SONOS streamer/amp to drive them. This model:

He also wants to send sound from his old Plasma TV to the KEFs as well for movie watching, and the Sonos doesn't seem very adaptable for this. I was thinking the Wiim Amp may be a good solution for his music streaming and watching movies to replace the Sonos. However I know the KEFs can be something of a demanding load hence the question about the suitability of the Wiim Amp.

A perfect amp match is not needed: he seems very happy with sound of the KEFs driven by the Sonos and they don't play music loud.

I see in the Sonos specs it's a Class D amp rated: 110 W RMS (2x55W) continuous average power into 8 ohms,
THD+N<0.02%

The WiiM is 120 in to 4 ohms.

Would it be fair to assume the Sonos doubles power in to 4ohms, hence 220W available for the KEFS? And if so does this leave the WiiM Amp particularly under-powered for the KEFs?

Thanks.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
QUESTION:

I have a non-audiophile friend (though he really loves the sound of the KEFS) who owns the LS50 speakers and he's currently using a SONOS streamer/amp to drive them. This model:

He also wants to send sound from his old Plasma TV to the KEFs as well for movie watching, and the Sonos doesn't seem very adaptable for this. I was thinking the Wiim Amp may be a good solution for his music streaming and watching movies to replace the Sonos. However I know the KEFs can be something of a demanding load hence the question about the suitability of the Wiim Amp.

A perfect amp match is not needed: he seems very happy with sound of the KEFs driven by the Sonos and they don't play music loud.

I see in the Sonos specs it's a Class D amp rated: 110 W RMS (2x55W) continuous average power into 8 ohms,
THD+N<0.02%

Would it be fair to assume the Sonos doubles power in to 4ohms, hence 220W available for the KEFS? And if so does this leave the WiiM Amp particularly under-powered for the KEFs?

Thanks.
Pairing it with our trusty KEF LS50 Meta’s, the WiiM Amp proved itself to be a remarkably capable little unit, regardless of the playback methods we’ve tested it with.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
QUESTION:

THD+N<0.02%

Thanks.
I don't think I am understanding you correctly. You seem to be mixing up total watts, and watts per channel.

You say the Sonos is rated 2x55W (and are assuming then 2x110W into 4ohm). That is basically the same (0.4dB less) as the 2x120W of the Wiim.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks!
I don't think I am understanding you correctly. You seem to be mixing up total watts, and watts per channel.

You say the Sonos is rated 2x55W (and are assuming then 2x110W into 4ohm). That is basically the same (0.4dB less) as the 2x120W of the Wiim.

Yes I think you're right.

Looks like the WiiM should be an ok fit with the KEF LS50s. At least in this undemanding application of not having to blast too loud.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks!

Yes I think you're right.

Looks like the WiiM should be an ok fit with the KEF LS50s. At least in this undemanding application of not having to blast too loud.
Agreed.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Second time in a few days the device disconnects from app and needs hard restart, unplug and plug in.
In the meantime, the streamer is playing (Deezer).
Forwarded a ticket, the option was very easy and intutive to find, very nice.
Maybe it is related to the last update ?!

Overseas

Major Contributor
It got worse immediately. I even followed their steps to reconnect it, it worked for 3 min, now it appears and disappears from the app. I guess 'they now about it'.

If it matters, I noticed that IPV6 is 'off' though I know for sure it was by default always on.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It got worse immediately. I even followed their steps to reconnect it, it worked for 3 min, now it appears and disappears from the app. I guess 'they now about it'.

If it matters, I noticed that IPV6 is 'off' though I know for sure it was by default always on.
It's an obvious one but have you tried a factory reset?

Overseas

Major Contributor
As long as the device is not connected to the app.... NO.

However, 1 week ago a friend got himself a Pro Plus and had such connectivity problems, I think he returned it.
I think maybe he got the last update before me, that could be a reason.

Overseas

Major Contributor
When I shut if off then replug in, there is a short window when it works, I pushed the reboot in menu, anyway, it stopped after a few minutes.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When I shut if off then replug in, there is a short window when it works, I pushed the reboot in menu, anyway, it stopped after a few minutes.
In case anyone needs to factory reset without the app...

Also, I'd consider reinstalling the app. And you're not running a vpn are you?

Overseas

Major Contributor
Working after pause, no apparent reason or solution. Looks random.

Overseas

Major Contributor
I was contacte by WIIM support by email, impressive. They needed the exact album I was streaming to check.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Another fail today, seemingly from the same Deezer album, Vangelis Delectus!? Very strange.

Pritaudio

Can anybody tell me if the 10 band eq on the Wiim pro is in the digital domain and distortion free ( bit perfect too?) when using spdif to an external dac.

furthermore, does this 10 band eq apply to all the services on the device, or just a few.
for example all the streaming services.
i know Roon software has eq features. How does this compare.
if this is the case then it could be used with room correction measurements at a fraction of the price of alternatives.
correct me if I am wrong.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can anybody tell me if the 10 band eq on the Wiim pro is in the digital domain and distortion free ( bit perfect too?) when using spdif to an external dac.

furthermore, does this 10 band eq apply to all the services on the device, or just a few.
for example all the streaming services.
i know Roon software has eq features. How does this compare.
if this is the case then it could be used with room correction measurements at a fraction of the price of alternatives.
correct me if I am wrong.
At the moment It is still only 4 bands, but it is digital and distortion free, but can't be bit perfect.
It applies to all inputs, outputs and all streaming services, local files etc.

Pritaudio

At the moment It is still only 4 bands, but it is digital and distortion free, but can't be bit perfect.
It applies to all inputs, outputs and all streaming services, local files etc.
yet another slow roll out of promised features.

Sorry, my misunderstanding of what bit perfect means.
is it as transparent as any other digital eq?
on the Wiim website I think it may refer to the non graphical eq as 10 band.

do you know by any chance of the limits of Roon eq function in comparison.
does the Wiim pro eq apply on top of the Roon eq when playing on the device.
and is there any significant impact on fidelity.

Top Bottom