• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 273 80.1%

• Total voters

Miguelón

Never heard the Bluesound, but I hope your last statement was in jest, else you maybe should not be on ASR :) …The WiiM is audibly transparent, is the Bluesound? If yes, then only reason you would spend more on Bluesound is looks and features, not for better sound. If Bluesound not transparent, well, I let you come to your own conclusion where you want to spend your hard earned money.
I recently bought a Ifi Zen Stream for 180€ second hand, and a Focusrite Scarlett Solo costs around 130€.

The Focusrite DAC section is excellent and you’ll have a better sound than even the Node X, or at least the same quality. Only connect them with a simple USB A to USB C cable and that’s all (Focusrite is class compliant, you don’t have to setup the interface: it will reproduce automatically what it sounds on the streamer)

Cecill

Today, I decided to buy the Pro Plus. To be honest, I've been eyeing it for quite some time, and when Amazon unexpectedly offered a 15% discount for the Pro Plus, I couldn't resist clicking the buy button. It's set to arrive today, and I plan to use it primarily with Tidal Connect and occasionally with AirPlay.

mgood

I have a pair of Dali Callisto 2C active speakers coming my way. There is a Sound Hub Compact included in the package which transfers audio wirelessly to the speakers. Sadly the Sound Hub Compact does not incorporate Spotify Connect or Airplay, which are the two protocols I use. I plan on getting a Wiim Pro Plus to connect either to the sound hub via optical or directly to the speakers. The input on the speakers are ADC - in my understanding they only accept an analog signal, which gets converted to digital in the speakers.

So, in short, there are two options:

Wiim Pro Plus optical to the sound hub. Pro: keeps the signal digital all the way to the speakers. Con: introduces two sets of volume control.

Wiim Pro Plus analog straight to the speakers. Pros: one less component, only one volume control (volume on the speakers are disabled in this mode). Con: D to A to D signal conversion.

Which setup would you prefer?

Regards,
Mattias
So, got the Pro Plus and hooked it up via optical to the Dali Sound Hub Compact. Connected my turntable through Pro-Ject RIAA to the analog input and used the Wiim as a preamp for both Spotify Connect and vinyl. Lovely sound and functionality. However, there is static in the beginning and ending of each song and the Wiim puts out a loud "pop" sound when entering standby (only if analog is the active source). So it's going back to the store. QC at Wiim seems to be lacking.

BTW - Would changing the output voltage make a difference? Or does this apply to analog out only?

Mattias

Cecill

I connected mine yesterday, and to my delight, everything functions and sounds flawlessly. I am pleasantly surprised by the seamless set up and operation. I recall struggling with the Auralic Aries streamer. It was an ordeal to set up, often refusing to switch on. Marantz streamers were no better, being plagued by issues. And more recently, the Cambridge streamer disappointed with its lackluster app. However, this Wiim has exceeded my expectations.

Edit. I have no chance to check its analogue outs. I'm using coax out on mine.

elmoe420

Anyone have success playing Sirius FM via Alexa through the WiiM Pro? The setup is Echo Dot using the WiiM Pro as an Echo speaker via Alexacast.

The WiiM Home app shows the correct Sirius FM channel info but it never plays, just tries to load indefinitely.

Using the built-in Echo Dot speaker instead works of course.

mgood

So, got the Pro Plus and hooked it up via optical to the Dali Sound Hub Compact. Connected my turntable through Pro-Ject RIAA to the analog input and used the Wiim as a preamp for both Spotify Connect and vinyl. Lovely sound and functionality. However, there is static in the beginning and ending of each song and the Wiim puts out a loud "pop" sound when entering standby (only if analog is the active source). So it's going back to the store. QC at Wiim seems to be lacking.

BTW - Would changing the output voltage make a difference? Or does this apply to analog out only?

Mattias
Static noise in the beginning and ending of each song seems to relate to the volume limiter. Pop noise on power off / standby is unresolved.

I recently bought the Pro Plus but was underwhelmed with its sonic qualities.
Things improved drastically when I hooked up my old Theta DAC.
I would agree it's a very good digital transport, but the onboard DAC is a bit of a disappointment.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The on board dac is audibly transparent so if you find transparency disappointing…
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
And the cow jumped over the moon, loads of information on this site which will help you understand how components actually work and what is actually important in audio reproduction.
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Initially Schitt equipment measured extremely poorly but after some of their gear was measured here by Amir they actually improved.
Pro Plus measured by our own @VintageFlanker
And by Amir,

I would read and try and learn.
Keith

Top Bottom