• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why are XLR cables only locked on one side?

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It is not hard defined as such indeed. But most time it is connected to... Since "Ground" is by itself undefined most time in reality and can have many different flavours, this will be a never ending debate.

That's why I posted the diagram from Rane. Balanced cable in and of itself always has a shield, but I don't recall ever seeing Pin 3 on input or output jacks on gear defined as "shield" but rather ambiguously as "ground."

That tech note was originally from 1985 and updated in 2015...so yeah, a long-standing debate.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I guess Neumann is still confused, too.

1677259510051.png

sejarzo

Forum Donor
With which the Finnish competition concurs.

1677273623970.png

Philbo King

If using a phantom powered microphone, it's best practice to turn off phantom power and wait 2 minutes before disconnecting. And to make sure phantom power is off before plugging them in. Failure to do this can be hazardous to the health of the microphone, especially ribbon mics.

Top Bottom