• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What streaming service do you use?

What streaming service do you use?

• Total voters

Tre2023

I've been using Tidal with a family subscription for the past six years. I generally buy physical or digital copies of the albums I like, but having Tidal is great to be able to sample different masterings of my preferred music before committing to a purchase. It's also great that I can listen to Atmos mixes using the Tidal app on my LG TV. Even if atmos mixes are encoded in a lossy e-ac3 format, it's still a good way to enjoy surround music. Many of these releases will never get a physical release, and some that get released on disc are just too expensive. For me and my partner, Tidal it is, and we love it, at home and on the go.
I am currently enjoying Amazon Music Unlimited, Apple Music, Qobuz and Tidal services using my Mac mini M1 and can play hi-res selections from all of them. It will take time for Tidal to comolete the change from MQA to hi-res FLAC. Tidal is the only service that supports Dolby Atmos music from my LG TV. I have an Apple TV 4K to enjoy Dolby Atmos from Apple Music. It also supports Dolby Atmos from Tidal. I have a Fire Cube to enjoy Dolby Atmos from Amazon Music. It supports Dolby Atmos from Tidal as well.

esowden

Pandora for most background music and mixed playlists. Qobuz when I want to listen to a particular artist's catalog that isn't in my own collection.

KJohnM

YouTube Music for me. Good enough audio quality and I like the ability to listen to cover songs and music videos. The algorithm does a good job for suggestions. I just tried Amazon HD today, yes, a bit of a difference but not enough to make me want to take out a subscription. The thing about YouTube is I get ad-free non-music and music for the subscription price. I'd be lucky to hear anything over 10khz I reckon these days lol.

Barrelhouse Solly

I'm in week 2 of a 3 month Amazon music trial. The jury's out. I listen to a fair amount of classical music. The Amazon search is keyed on individual tracks. It's interesting sometimes although not as awful as the product search on the Amazon retail web site. I also like pre-WWII blues which is poorly represented there. To be fair, it's poorly represented everywhere. I notice that you can't pay to download lossless files. I'm beginning to think that l must occupy a small niche among music consumers. I was hoping that 100 million files might be enough to choose from. Maybe not.

Descartes

Major Contributor
On the Apple TV 4K I listen to Apple Music in ATMOS! Love their dedicated Classical App on my phone!

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm in week 2 of a 3 month Amazon music trial. The jury's out. I listen to a fair amount of classical music. The Amazon search is keyed on individual tracks. It's interesting sometimes although not as awful as the product search on the Amazon retail web site. I also like pre-WWII blues which is poorly represented there. To be fair, it's poorly represented everywhere. I notice that you can't pay to download lossless files. I'm beginning to think that l must occupy a small niche among music consumers. I was hoping that 100 million files might be enough to choose from. Maybe not.
Try Qobuz for classical, blues and jazz. All titles in CD or Hi Res quality. I'm a big blues fan of all eras and like the selection there.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Try Qobuz for classical, blues and jazz. All titles in CD or Hi Res quality. I'm a big blues fan of all eras and like the selection there.
Thank you, when listening to relax I also like to play classical SACD multichannel music!

gabo4au

Spotify. One thing some people don't realize is that you have access to higher quality if you subscribe and even then you have to go to your app and set your "streaming quality" to "very high." Which is equivalent to about a 320kbps mp3. I can't tell the difference between 320 and a CD. I can tell a difference when you get down below 250kbps and the highest you can get with a free account is 160kbps. Even with a paid account, if you set it to "high" you still get 160kbps, which to me is not very good. So be sure to check your quality if you have a paid account.

scottm_dj

I have an Apple TV 4K to enjoy Dolby Atmos from Apple Music. It also supports Dolby Atmos from Tidal. I have a Fire Cube to enjoy Dolby Atmos from Amazon Music

Do you really have to go with something Amazon to hear Atmos through Amazon music? It works for the Android phone but yippee who cares...how to make it work through the HT audio system?

Roku won't do Amazon music Atmos--even the Ultra model. Is there any device that will work with both Apple Atmos and Amazon music Atmos? Nvidia shield?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an Apple TV 4K to enjoy Dolby Atmos from Apple Music. It also supports Dolby Atmos from Tidal. I have a Fire Cube to enjoy Dolby Atmos from Amazon Music

Do you really have to go with something Amazon to hear Atmos through Amazon music? It works for the Android phone but yippee who cares...how to make it work through the HT audio system?

Roku won't do Amazon music Atmos--even the Ultra model. Is there any device that will work with both Apple Atmos and Amazon music Atmos? Nvidia shield?
The Shield will play Atmos. I use it to play Atmos selections from Tidal. I personally go with Tidal for my streaming service because it will play natively from dedicated Apps for each of my four platforms (Mele Quieter 3 Windows PC, LG V20 Android Phone, Amazon Fire Tablet-Android Tablet, and NVidia Shield-Android AV Player). I liked Qobuz, but it had no app for the Shield. I could use Chromecast for that, but it's just easier to use an App already on the platform, and Tidal was the only service offering lossless that did that.

scottm_dj

I have Qobuz and I agree it's a PIA to find a platform for it. No Android tv, no apple tv, no Roku, no Android box... It's pretty ridiculous.

I have Roon in the interim linking directly to my Oppo 205 til I find a streamer cuz most streamers do support it in hi-res format.

As a bonus with Roon they have the awesome Netherland FLAC internet radio station Pureclassix (Multi-decade!Pop/R&B/Funk)...which I can listen to for hours and hours. Tremendous sound quality that consistently amazes me.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Spotify a lot. Their catalog seems great, and their recommendations are often very good. Their genre "radio stations" are very static though. That's why I also have a Pandora account for background music duty. Yeah, Pandora is 192k, but for background stuff it sounds pretty good.

scottm_dj

Nope I own over 300 SACD multichannel so my OPPO BDP-205 gets to play ;)

Isn't it great to be in the know? In my opinion the best SACD and DVD-audio (of which I have all the best ones myself) blow the doors off of streaming Atmos tracks. And I have an Oppo 205 as well that I've modified to play "image" files from my original discs--both SACD and DVD audio in my case. I will be keeping that player until it literally falls apart... meanwhile hoping Oppo will pull a Technics and realize that physical media is making a comeback and hopefully reappear as king of the HiFi world!

Currently, I'm trying to decide how to best send streaming material (Qobuz hi-res which my system and hearing can easily resolve) to the Oppo and not use the expensive Roon. And similarly if the DAC in that Oppo is (still) good enough after like 6 years now...or do I want to upgrade it possibly with one of those Raspberry Pi devices.

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Mostly Qobuz. Also have paid Spotify, YouTube Music and Amazon HD music.

I used to use Spotify when driving. Now I use Qobuz with the mobile data option set to use 320kbps just like Spotify. Still sounds great.

Tried Tidal but they still have a lot of MQA and I won't support that scam.

I purchase CDs of my favorite albums and have the ripped flacs on my DMP-A6. Still listen to the actual CDs too.

Btw, Qobuz has finally released their Radio option on the android app. It is working well for me. It seems like they have recently improved at playing something related to what I was listening to when an album or playlist completes.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just switched to Qobuz from Tidal after about 4 years, still like the way Tidal works on my PC and iPhone, but just too expensive compared to the other services.
I was happy to see most of my library matched up on Qobuz, both services seem to supply plenty of Metal and Prog Rock, which is what I listen to mostly.

Top Bottom