• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What happens if I cut the bass reflex cover of my Soundcore Motion Plus?

soundbunny

Ever since I bought this speaker I've been thinking about removing the bass reflex cover. This is a quick change to make but I'm not sure and would like some opinions.

This speaker has good sound quality but does not respond very well to bass. I have achieved a good level of low frequencies with the equalizer but now I would like to try modifying the bass reflex. By putting your ear close to the bass reflex you can hear a lot of bass and perhaps by eliminating that coverage it will finally come out.

Has anyone already tried to do this?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
A bad ported speaker can be very bad so it's dangerous to do anything that's not reversible. The port is (or is supposed to be) tuned to boost-extend the bass without creating a boomy one-note bass resonance.

If you can find the Thiele-Small parameters for the woofer (usually not unless you buy the woofer separately) you can use speaker design software such as WinISD (free) to optimize performance & model and optimized design or model different design changes.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If the manufacturer could have made the speaker better by removing the port cover, why do you think they didn't?

Nothing good will come of it.

OP
soundbunny

soundbunny

These are portable speakers that are put in backpacks or otherwise thrown left and right. The rubber could be ruined without protection. I thought the same thing and gave myself this answer.

AwesomeSauce2015

If the manufacturer could have made the speaker better by removing the port cover, why do you think they didn't?

Nothing good will come of it.
I will agree with this statement, but I have a few more points to add:
1. This speaker doesn't seem to have a port. It uses 2 woofers on the front and a passive radiator (or 2, I can't tell). This functions similar to a port in terms of how it can allow for more bass output, but they can actually be made waterproof. Given that this speaker has an IP rating, we can assume that they aren't using a port.
(Source:
)

2. A quick explanation on passive radiators: They are like speaker drivers, just without the magnet and other "motor" components. They rely on having air pressure in the speaker enclosure in order to move, and by adjusting the mass of the passive radiator, you can tune the frequency at which it resonates.

2b. So basically, since this speaker does not have a port, and is designed to use the passive radiator, you really shouldn't touch it. If you were to cut out that passive radiator, you would destroy the speaker.

3. Like most modern bluetooth speakers, this one uses DSP in order to get the desired sound. The DSP will have been optimized for use with the passive radiator, and removing it will obviously change that, and not for the better.

So finally:
If you really want more bass, you need a bigger / better speaker. It's just physics. Creating sound requires you to move air, and there is a limit to how much air you can move with a small speaker. If you are set on bluetooth speakers, I would recommend JBL as I personally quite like their sound. However, JBL tends to not have a super-crazy-bass-over-exaggerated sound, as having that sound just doesn't sound good to most people.

So in conclusion, you have 2 options:
1. Get a better speaker. I personally haven't heard the speaker you are referencing, but given what I see in about 1 minute of googling I would probably find it to be lacking in bass compared to what I am used to... (Of course, I am used to a system which is capable of sub-30hz bass at the levels I listen at) This is probably your best option, if you want more bass.
1b. So echoing my above recommendation, I like JBL's bluetooth speakers. Alternatively, if this is not a portable application you could go for something else, and if so you can look around here to find recommendations.

2. Reset the equalizer to flat, and allow your ears to become used to the sound. When we listen to a speaker system over a period of time, we get used to the sound of said speaker. If you listen to a speaker with boosted bass, over time you get used to that sound, and if you then move to a speaker with a more "neutral" tuning, then the "neutral" speaker will sound like it is lacking in bass. --- However, if you listen to the neutral speaker, over time you will get used to its sound.

Top Bottom