• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What electronic audio products you want tested most

What electronics audio product you like to see tested more

• Power and Integrated Amplifiers

Votes: 633 55.1%
  • Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 182 15.9%
  • Home Theater AVRs

Votes: 307 26.7%
  • Home Theater Processors

Votes: 199 17.3%
  • DACs

Votes: 350 30.5%
  • Streamers

Votes: 262 22.8%
  • Combo DAC and Headphone Amplifiers

Votes: 237 20.6%
  • Phono preamp

Votes: 106 9.2%
  • DSP (digital signal processors)

Votes: 379 33.0%
  • Vintage audio products

Votes: 270 23.5%

• Total voters

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I like to get a gauge of what categories of products I should be testing more (electronics only). So please vote.

As usual, I won't necessarily listen to you all. :D But like to have the data anyway.

If you are a visitor and not a member, this is your opportunity to join and have your voice heard.

You can vote for more than one product but please be selective.
Studio monitors and audio interfaces

teashea

SSL 12 audio interface. Audient iD44 Mk audio interface. Neumann KH120 II.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It appears many manufacturers would rather not send anything for review, if it's going to get measured. At least, Erin from Erin's audio corner suffers this issue, he has a dealer who loans him stuff to review.

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
What I'd like to see reviewed is:

Budget gear that holds some level of promise. I think "gateway" affordable audiophile gear is crucial for the future of this hobby. Sometimes there are diamonds in the rough that perform pretty well with some DSP correction.

Micca makes some interesting cheap speakers. The RB42 are $149/pair and have a 10-element crossover (!!) and put out some pretty strong bass from a compact size. I've measured them and they're not bad. I'm not repping that model specifically, just giving them as an example. The MB42's are cheaper, have much less bass, but have long been considered sort of the "minimum recommendable speaker" by r/audiophile and r/budgetaudiophile

To me anything here would be a valuable review target:

The reviews I can't understand are the reviews of long discontinued gear. The amount of people who could potentially benefit from those reviews seems extremely low.

Last edited:

MacClintock

The reviews I can't understand are the reviews of long discontinued gear. The amount of people who could potentially benefit from those reviews seems extremely low.
ASR is not just a consumer guide, but a scientific endeaver. It is quite interesting to see how historic gear measures and if the technology has involved or in which respect. Or how good some equipment stands the change of time.

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
It is quite interesting to see how historic gear measures and if the technology has involved or in which respect
For me, there's a sizeable difference between "historic" and "old." Testing historically significant gear (gear that sold in large numbers, broke new ground, or shaped the industry in some other way) makes a lot of sense to me. A lot of the older gear reviewed doesn't seem to fit any of those criteria.

But, we don't all have to have the same tastes. Also I recognize that Amir's fun factor really trumps all. This is his baby, and he operates it at considerable expense. Whatever he finds fun and interesting he should certainly do. If reviewing some rando 1990s era speaker is fun and interesting for Amir... then by all means that is what he should do. :cool:

Waxx

Major Contributor
For me, there's a sizeable difference between "historic" and "old." Testing historically significant gear (gear that sold in large numbers, broke new ground, or shaped the industry in some other way) makes a lot of sense to me. A lot of the older gear reviewed doesn't seem to fit any of those criteria.

But, we don't all have to have the same tastes. Also I recognize that Amir's fun factor really trumps all. This is his baby, and he operates it at considerable expense. Whatever he finds fun and interesting he should certainly do. If reviewing some rando 1990s era speaker is fun and interesting for Amir... then by all means that is what he should do. :cool:
True, some legendaric speakers like the Altec A7, Tannoy Gold monitor, BBC LS3/5A or the Dynaco A25 are worh measuring. But if he wants or can do that, is his consideration, not ours.

mccririck

I'd love you to test some older CD players like the Marantz CD63 KI Signature which many publications worshiped for a long time in the 90s.

sysfc6

Boss, help test polk l600 r700 l800 polk707.703.705. jbl580, thanks!

afinepoint

Forum Donor
I'd like to see the DACs in a selection of home AV receivers tested. I am currently using a Yamaha Aventage A6A pre amp out to feed the power amp. This also allows me to use the Bluetooth capabilities of the receiver for streaming. Is their a pecking order for receiver amp DACs?

For example my receiver is said to use an 32-bit, 2-channel SABRE™ Premier Audio DAC from ESS Technology. I also in doing research on my speakers was told Yamaha receivers (can) make a speaker bright. Would love to see the test data.

I bet there are quite a few pre stand alone DAC people using their receivers this way. What's the research say?

Last edited:

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of us would like to see more higher end products tested, like the NAD M23 you've recently tested.

I also feel the products tested and reviewed are disproportionately from Chinese brands (endless amount of Topping and SMSL and other lesser known Chinese brands).

This is nothing against Chinese brands, they have excellent engineering, but this world is just too big to not cover other brands equally.

Last edited:

Steve81

Forum Donor
I’d like to see ASR measure a few wireless earbuds if possible. The Bose products I’ve owned seem competent enough, as do the el cheapo JLab Go Air Pop (in spite of the name :D).

Draki

Looks like they are working on it already:

Reactions: Zvu

Anton D

This might be too out there...

I would be very interested in seeing speaker measurements done using different amps, or even preamps, and see if any differences can be measured.

Apologies if this has already been done and I missed it. (If so, tell me where to go, very curious!)

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This might be too out there...

I would be very interested in seeing speaker measurements done using different amps, or even preamps, and see if any differences can be measured.

Apologies if this has already been done and I missed it. (If so, tell me where to go, very curious!)
Easy enough to do by yourself, your investment would be a MiniDSP Umik1 and a 10€ multimeter.

You hook up the multimeter to the speaker terminals of the amplifier and adjust the volume until you see 2.83V with a 1kHz sine wave (which you can get as flac), this is to make sure the volume of the amp is always the same.

Then you put your Umik1 one meter in front of the speaker on it's tweeter axis and make measurements. In my experience there is little to none difference, unless you hit some kind of bottleneck at higher voltages. Most TI chip amps, like the one in the popular Fosi V3, come without PFFB, so there could be minute differences in the higher regions, but i never looked for them.

Amirs measurements predict this anyway, so the value of extra measurements through speakers is very personal, as most of us have different speakers.

Palladium

What I'd like to see reviewed is:

Budget gear that holds some level of promise. I think "gateway" affordable audiophile gear is crucial for the future of this hobby. Sometimes there are diamonds in the rough that perform pretty well with some DSP correction.

Micca makes some interesting cheap speakers. The RB42 are $149/pair and have a 10-element crossover (!!) and put out some pretty strong bass from a compact size. I've measured them and they're not bad. I'm not repping that model specifically, just giving them as an example. The MB42's are cheaper, have much less bass, but have long been considered sort of the "minimum recommendable speaker" by r/audiophile and r/budgetaudiophile

To me anything here would be a valuable review target:

I have a SMSL C200 currently sitting at my office. The store also have several spare sets of Creative T10 (5 watts) and Edifier R19U (2 watts) for other work purposes. So I decided to had some fun hooking both up to the C200 RCAs output and I'm pretty shocked by how good and loud they sounded, apart from the usual lack of bass from small drivers.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Mini class D amps
O-Noorus D3 vs Topping MX3s

Anton D

Perhaps listening impressions prior to and then after measuring!

Top Bottom