• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Weird names for things. What you got?

Multicore

Major Contributor
It might be fun to collect some terms we use that are literally incorrect but we know what you mean, like
  • Linear power supply for a power supply that's designed around a bridge rectifier. Not very linear.
  • Multi-channel to mean more than two channels, as if stereo wasn't also multi-channel.
What else have you got?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Linear power supply for a power supply that's designed around a bridge rectifier. Not very linear.

A linear power supply (not regulated) has a DC output voltage that is (not quite due to diode forward voltage) linear to the input voltage.
Regulated 'linear' power supplies (which is what you probably mean) are regulated above a certain input voltage but folks tend to call everything that is non SMPS 'linear'.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi-fi. It's used for many decidedly low-fi $$$ 'audiophile grade' pieces of equipment, as testing often shows.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi-fi. It's used for many decidedly low-fi $$$ 'audiophile grade' pieces of equipment, as testing often shows.
What is lo-fi particularly, tho? (or "mid-fi" for that matter)

Outside of audio, I do tend to call movies "films" even if they're not.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Frequency response. People (including myself) really mean 'amplitude response' most of the time when they say 'frequency response'.

OP
Multicore

Multicore

Major Contributor
Frequency response. People (including myself) really mean 'amplitude response' most of the time when they say 'frequency response'.
Yes, I like that. In that sense a frequency response would literally be a distortion, i.,e. put 1 kHz sine tone in and get a variety of different frequencies in the response.

OP
Multicore

Multicore

Major Contributor
A linear power supply (not regulated) has a DC output voltage that is (not quite due to diode forward voltage) linear to the input voltage.
Regulated 'linear' power supplies (which is what you probably mean) are regulated above a certain input voltage but folks tend to call everything that is non SMPS 'linear'.
Now I learn even more. The regulation is the non-linearity that makes the name literally incorrect.

egellings

Major Contributor
Agree; it's just a nomenclature thing to distinguish between switch-mode and non-switch-mode supply types.

Top Bottom