• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In retrospect and in comparison to the past dozen+ years:
I find that the improvement(s) in the precision of metallurgical manufacturing from China has eclipsed those from the rest of the world...
...but - unfortunately - at slave-labor pricing, which makes it almost impossible for anyone else to compete.

:)<:mad:
I received one of these today in D2 steel. It is a immaculate set but needs a proper honing. Cuts paper but it's not really sharp. Years ago this was not possible.

In retrospect and in comparison to the past dozen+ years:
I find that the improvement(s) in the precision of metallurgical manufacturing from China has eclipsed those from the rest of the world...
...but - unfortunately - at slave-labor pricing, which makes it almost impossible for anyone else to compete.

:)<:mad:
the mass production/ training of stolen ip

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I've shown you mine (x2), you owe me a photo... I want to see.... please!;)

@Doodski, try both aliexpress and temu... thousands upon thousands to choose from... there appears to be no such thing as "MSRP" anymore, same item can have different msrp and each is reduced by sum imaginary xx%... well... because it is on "sale"...;)
So funny. I bought the exact watch, but in the grey/black colour scheme. So I take it you also like it?

Unless it doesn't last for at least a decade, it will turn out to be well worth the money.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
There are only a handful watch manufacturers who can boast about doing everything in-house from the movement to the case to even the bracelet, etc.

Seiko is one of them.
I have several Seiko watches. Including a few old automatic models. Love Seiko. Wish I could afford a Grand Seiko.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have several Seiko watches. Including a few old automatic models. Love Seiko. Wish I could afford a Grand Seiko.
OOoo Those are nice... I have a summer shirt like the face of this Grand Seiko... It's the sky. Gorgeous watch.
Screenshot 2024-03-31 184523.png

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That above purchase was over a month ago, and it has been on my wrist for about three weeks; It is gaining about ~4 seconds per week, thus far.:)
I think the second balance-wheel/spring (etc.) is probably a snake-oil and I should really do some research to determine whether it truly makes for a more accurate movement...

I've turned into a cheapskate for watches: Having owned more than a few mid-tear (=prices in 4-digits) automatics, I've come to the realization that they really are not much better performance (=accuracy/price) than even a Swatch51 automatic. [imho/ymmv].
View attachment 360495
Having discovered the enjoyment of being a watch-cheapskate, I just purchased the above automatic for $100.
And Just like all the pricey alternatives, it does come with a "1 year warranty"!:cool:
Looks like a very well done Panerai ripoff, but zero judgement. Ultimately they all use derivatives of the same few classic movements. ETA 2824, Valjoux 7750, and some Japanese variants.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OOoo Those are nice... I have a summer shirt like the face of this Grand Seiko... It's the sky. Gorgeous watch.
View attachment 360509
LoL, @Doodski got the t-shirt but without the "Been there; done that..." foreplay!:D
So funny. I bought the exact watch, but in the grey/black colour scheme. So I take it you also like it?
Unless it doesn't last for at least a decade, it will turn out to be well worth the money.
I am on the 5 year plan ($20/year)!
The "Dual Escapement" watch has a pretty cool history, one type using something called 'resonance-effect' which supposed to sync both escapements to each other. Unfortunately, exploitation by the Chinese does or does not use this resonance effect with dual-balances that we purchased. Some say, the right one drives the hour/minutes; whereas the other takes care of the seconds hand and moon-phase/date. There are also some yt videos which show how out-of-sync the two balance-springs are from each other. This other site attempts at an alternative explanation of the dual open-hearts' operation.
Find a quiet spot and listen to the very faint tik-tok << or more like tikity-tokity and then (at times) it is more like tokity-tickity! weird.
202403_WatchQuadBalance-RogerDubuis.jpg
202403_WatchTourbillon-UlysseNardenFreakS.jpg

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Looks like a very well done Panerai ripoff, but zero judgement. Ultimately they all use derivatives of the same few classic movements. ETA 2824, Valjoux 7750, and some Japanese variants.
I didn't see the watch that inspired the one I bought. Hopefully it isn't identical. I have no desire to look like I can afford what I can't. I just really liked the style. Now I know why.

Hopefully there are enough differences to distinguish the two watches.

Edit: I was able to see the Panerai watch that was likely the design inspiration for the watch I bought. There are enough differences. Regardless, the designer of the Pagani watch did a very tasteful job. It is actually a very nice looking watch. Different enough that I won't feel guilty. I'm pretty sure these watches aren't cutting into the customer base that Penerai is targeting.

Last edited:

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a denney ltd. Est. 1934 and can't find any info on this watch. Lotta ode to rick denney threads about ebel watches... black face chromo. Similar looking dial. Any help finding info be greatly appreciated. Thanks
It was the house brand of Denney Jewelers in Springfield, IL which still exists and is still owned by Denneys and their progeny. No relation that we could determine, but the gave me the family discount anyway.

The watch is made by the Belair Watch Company, which is based in Oklahoma but uses mostly Swiss parts including Ronda quartz movements. Belair specializes in making jewelry store house brands.

The “est.” date is 1954, not 1934, the year Ray Denney opened his own store.

If you need service, contact Denney Jewelers in Springfield. They will replace batteries for free.

These are solid and reliable watches on a par with Seiko and Citizen quartz watches of the type found in jewelry stores in the USA.

Rick “decent watch” Denney

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Botta Design TRES Quartz 40mm each and every day at work. Very light due to titanium housing and quartz motor and flat...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240401-122217~2.png
    Screenshot_20240401-122217~2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
It was the house brand of Denney Jewelers in Springfield, IL which still exists and is still owned by Denneys and their progeny. No relation that we could determine, but the gave me the family discount anyway.

The watch is made by the Belair Watch Company, which is based in Oklahoma but uses mostly Swiss parts including Ronda quartz movements. Belair specializes in making jewelry store house brands.

The “est.” date is 1954, not 1934, the year Ray Denney opened his own store.

If you need service, contact Denney Jewelers in Springfield. They will replace batteries for free.

These are solid and reliable watches on a par with Seiko and Citizen quartz watches of the type found in jewelry stores in the USA.

Rick “decent watch” Denney
Ahh ok. Although the date is 1934 on the watch I noticed yours was different with the same name... I live in Springfield Illinois but their website didn't have watches so thought maybe a strange coincidence. Thanks again.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ahh ok. Although the date is 1934 on the watch I noticed yours was different with the same name... I live in Springfield Illinois but their website didn't have watches so thought maybe a strange coincidence. Thanks again.
They don’t sell them any more though they might still have a few. I suspect they bought a big batch of a variety of men’s and ladies models and carried them a while. I bought mine at the store just off Veteran’s Parkway, but it seemed clear they were down to remaining stock. If you bring it to that store they’ll tell you all about it.

But I think you need to look again at the date, maybe with a loupe.

Rick “bought three of them maybe two years ago” Denney

bogart

Forum Donor
View attachment 360509
IMG_2598.jpeg

Funny to see this pop up right after trying one on! It is absolutely a looker in person. Interesting and exceptional fact about it: it’s one of the very few fancy watches I’ve ever had female acquaintances comment on favourably. Your mileage may vary, but that came as a shock to me!

My wife didn’t see the price, but seemed to think it was something she would approve on aesthetic grounds.

My impression is that it’s a pretty big fellow. It’s thick and feels large on the wrist. Having the crown at 4 o'clock is much more comfortable though.

Last edited:
This is my father's circa 1950 Omega "Bumper" automatic given to him by my mom as an engagement gift and which I inherited in 2016. It was inoperable. He had broken the crystal at some point which scratched the face. I sent it to Omega (now Swatch) here in the U.S. and they said that they could not repair the watch here and needed my permission to send it to Switzerland where it was ultimately restored. They could not replace the face nor would I want them to. It's called a "bumper" because its pioneering auto-wind mechanism did not spin around 360 degrees like modern units but instead hit a hard stop on both ends of its pendulum swing which is very audible and tactile-and somehow comforting. Its not waterproof (it may not be even moisture proof) so I wear it only occasionally.
IMG_2258.JPG

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMG_20240403_202956.jpg

Wears its 30 years of age lightly!

(side note: if you have a lead for period-correct Omega 18K gold spring bars, please share them. Customs seized the original spring bars on this watch alongside the croc strap.)

bogart

Forum Donor
View attachment 361067

(side note: if you have a lead for period-correct Omega 18K gold spring bars, please share them. Customs seized the original spring bars on this watch alongside the croc strap.)
*whistle* that's really nice. i love the roman numerals and small seconds subdial. would love to know the reference number on this if you have it. lovely!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 361067

My... my... That is a machinists dream and it looks like it was made in the 1920s for some reason to me. Gorgeous...

Top Bottom