• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unpopular Opinions in Music

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
With a few exceptions, I just don’t like Classical Music. I’d rather take a cheese grater to the inside of my thighs than go to a symphony or even worse an Opera.
Yea, I went once and got dirty looks cause I was wearing a sleeveless black Harley t-shirt and jeans. :p

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yea, I went once and got dirty looks cause I was wearing a sleeveless black Harley t-shirt and jeans. :p
You would not believe some of the outfits at the SF ballet. I think it was opening night or whatever - I had a blazer on and I was among the worst dressed. It was flat-out tuxedoes and ball gowns everywhere. Never seen anything like it. Made most weddings look like the crowd at a monster truck rally.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You would not believe some of the outfits at the SF ballet. I think it was opening night or whatever - I had a blazer on and I was among the worst dressed. It was flat-out tuxedoes and ball gowns everywhere.
And a "fake" Rolex on every wrist. LOL

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think everyone has a band or album that is "the best" that they just don't like. I'd like to hear about it. Tell me what you hate. And let's keep it fun, no being a jerk. People hate what they hate.

I'll start.

Pet Sounds is absolute overrated garbage. Wouldn't it be Nice is an amazing song, and Sloop John B is the best version of a song written by someone else, but the rest is a travesty against humanity. God Only Knows makes me want to go to church, and I don't do that. Maybe it would sound better with expensive cables...

I have it in the original mono and the heroic attempt at a surround mix on DVD_A. But it's nothing I find myself wanting to listen to. It's cheesy circus/fairground music to me, and it always bring to mind Kingsley Amis's amusing description of a twee ensemble going 'parp parp parp'.

Never got the adulation, but the Beatles loved it and even felt threatened by it, so what do I know. I do like 'Good Vibrations' but who doesn't?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You would not believe some of the outfits at the SF ballet. I think it was opening night or whatever - I had a blazer on and I was among the worst dressed. It was flat-out tuxedoes and ball gowns everywhere. Never seen anything like it. Made most weddings look like the crowd at a monster truck rally.
Ever go to one of the Black & White Ball events?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
With few exceptions, the music played at audio shows sucks a**.
I have been at one only once. Something told me that I should have changed a couple Diana Krall sources for Necrophagist or Cryptopsy to check out the reactions.

On the tech part, they're a good source due to dynamic range and variety of sounds, so that should work well for testing the capabilities of speakers...

Robin L

Master Contributor
Ever go to one of the Black & White Ball events?
I recorded a lot of Early Music concerts. A lot less pretentious, lots of folks in casual wear, Birkenstocks and sweaters. Opera was another matter, with plenty of glitz and pageantry. Much preferred the original instruments crowd, was a lot more about the music than the dress code.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anything that requires a tux is for the social experience rather than music, and I think everybody in attendance knows that. I don't mind doing it twice a year or so, can be fun.

In San Francisco, only the premieres have a certain dress code. Outside of that, you see the full range of San Francisco characters. :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Anything that requires a tux is for the social experience rather than music, and I think everybody in attendance knows that. I don't mind doing it twice a year or so, can be fun.
Agreed. I will only add that I refuse to actually PAY to go to any event
that is going to dictate to me how I'm allowed to dress. A shame in that the
musical experience might be quite enjoyable but because of the promoters "stick up their butts"
attitude they can KMA. LOL

Sokel

Master Contributor
I better keep my mouth shut about the classical stuff in this thread :rolleyes:

To the point,anything "easy" and emotionless will probably not be my taste,no matter the genre except the lyrics are interesting (very rare but happens)

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning

In San Francisco, only the premieres have a certain dress code. Outside of that, you see the full range of San Francisco characters. :)
No shirt, no shoes, no concert?

:cool:

Barrelhouse Solly

I don't care for much classical music written after 1825 or so. Wagner and Mahler drive me nuts. Opera performance practice is another. I know it can take 20 years to train an operatic voice and you have to have outstanding natural equipment to start with. I just don't see why people would want to spend 20 years learning to sound like that.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I better keep my mouth shut about the classical stuff in this thread :rolleyes:

To the point,anything "easy" and emotionless will probably not be my taste,no matter the genre except the lyrics are interesting (very rare but happens)
If you don't regularly listen to Classical music then you probably really don't have a point of view. Lots of Classical music lacks lyrics but has emotion. And a lot of Classical music is far from "easy".

Robin L

Master Contributor
I don't care for much classical music written after 1825 or so. Wagner and Mahler drive me nuts. Opera performance practice is another. I know it can take 20 years to train an operatic voice and you have to have outstanding natural equipment to start with. I just don't see why people would want to spend 20 years learning to sound like that.
Because they have an appreciative audience? Because they love the music?

Sokel

Master Contributor
If you don't regularly listen to Classical music then you probably really don't have a point of view. Lots of Classical music lacks lyrics but has emotion. And a lot of Classical music is far from "easy".
I only listen to classical (and not only listen),you must have misunderstood the post.
(no wonder with my bad english)

Robin L

Master Contributor
I only listen to classical (and not only listen),you must have misunderstood the post.
(no wonder with my bad english)
Then it probably was a language issue. You play some old music?

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The thing with classical music -and let's admit it, all of them- is that it is not a "you like one you like all" proposition. I'd say I am a classical fan, but I never listen to Wagner, for example, and I cannot take a single second of opera, sorry. I'd also say I love jazz, but never listen to some super highly rated stuff like "Kind of Blue" or "Sketches of Spain" or such.

It's a silly exercise to generalize music genres. Even with our top fav artists, we all know we skip 50% of their songs. :)

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom