• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Two streaming solutions. Audibly different?

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A 16 x 20 room, carpeted with light drapes. A pair of Revel 228be speakers driven by a McIntosh MC312 ss amp.

Source 1: Tidal into Sonos Port via wireless connection, digital out to Anthem STR pre amp, ARC modified, balanced outs to amp
Source 2: Tidal into Matrix Element X via wireless connection, balanced outs to amp

hypothesis: Matrix DAC measures better than STR DAC but not likely to be audibly different. If there is an audible difference in the two setups it is due to the affect of ARC on room acoustics therefore the better choice is source 1. If subs added the Anthem advantage would increase due to better bass management.

thoughts? Besides this being a first world dilemma

OP
E

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Good point, thank you. I do subscribe but I understand that the MQA debate is far from settled, lol. I remember a utube (Seltzertronics i think) where he claimed he favored Tidal mqa over qobuz in a blind comparison. I guess it comes down to having MQA or room equalization, and that depends on how good/bad the room is. It's easy to compare ARC on/off and I typically prefer the sound when on, esp with subs.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good point, thank you. I do subscribe but I understand that the MQA debate is far from settled, lol. I remember a utube (Seltzertronics i think) where he claimed he favored Tidal mqa over qobuz in a blind comparison. I guess it comes down to having MQA or room equalization, and that depends on how good/bad the room is. It's easy to compare ARC on/off and I typically prefer the sound when on, esp with subs.
There are plenty of other options of getting Tidal into something, I would decide between the hardware, then figure out how to feed it.
I'd chose the Anthem based on this.
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...them-str-preamplifier-power-amplifier-review/
You could also get the miniDSP SHD.

P.S. Room correction for the win.

OP
E

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
thanks, Audioholics also published a favorable review of the STR series, with measurements.

Top Bottom