• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tools of The Trade: Oscilloscope

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Are there scientific tests already done on high end turntables with expensive tonearms and carts and hi-end phono preamps?
I'm talking state-of-the-art TT setup with hi-end anti-vibration platform. No mickey mouse TT here, but SOTA stuff in the higher range of TT classes.
...Say $20,000 and up (to $500,000+) for the full TT setup (with all the components in the chain, phono preamp, all cleaning accessories, record machine cleaner, adjustment tools, vibration-free platform, speed accuracy, perfect music records too...only couple of them because many are not perfect, of course the analog stereo interconnects, the separate motor from the plinth and table, the pulleys (rubber belts), the table's material...ceramic or cast or aluminum...acrylic is not the best, The tonearm's shape, material, and length, ...there is so much adjustments and parameters and parts in a turntable setup that everything is important for top-notch performance and for surpassing CD quality sound @ its best...).

* I still have a decent LP collection but not as much as my CD collection (many/most of my best LPs were stolen from me).
But say that I have the same amount of analog and digital music recordings from those two mediums, and I do enjoy both for their own unique attributes.
Someone comes to my home, a pretty demoiselle; she is generous and have a nice birthday gift for me...$10,000 cash. :)

Where do I put the money towards (forget the speakers and room treatments: my speakers, assuming, are ultra high end top performers, full range, and my room professionally acoustically optimized for the best sound), if only on the analog TT setup equation, or on the digital CD playback setup one?

I know, it's a question for the people who have experienced similar setups in that $10,000 range.

I start from there, then we can expand both ways of that range: one, two, three, five thousands TT and CD rigs.
And, twenty, fifty, hundred, two hundred thousands range.

Forget headphones, forget iPads and iPods, forget laptops, forget Tidal, forget hi-res music downloads, forget music servers, forget everything else.
This is strictly a home setup between a TT and CD rig. ...Where you sit in that sweet middle chair spot, and you have to get up for each LP's side (roughly 15 to 30 minutes....20-23 on average) and each CD playback (no carousel here, and roughly 40 to 80 minutes...50-60 on average).

The tests would include everything known to man as of now; all scope tests and all listening tests by sota audiophile sets of ears, the golden girls.
Are there papers written on such comprehensible tests recently? I've never seen any...just some short ones resulting in less than nothing much.

What I'd like to know with certitude is @ what money level one medium becomes superior to another? ...Best quality sound in the overall aspects of all considerations. ...Something solid, tangible, constant, in general for all classes...lowest end to ultra highest end.

Again, I know, there are millions and millions of discussions on that that have already been discussed.
But this time around it's different; it is the audio apotheosis of all audio equinoxes.

Personally, from my own modest and humble experience (inexpensive rigs); CDs have a greater musical impact on the chords vibrating the skeleton inside my body. And those bones vibrations resonate up to my ear canals transmitting impulses to my brain in direct contact with my soul.
I'm talking less than a thousand bucks TT or CD player here. I didn't have the TT professionally calibrated and fully adjusted; I did it all on my own...just like most regular people in that target range. ...And same for the CD playback machine...no diy, no mods, no DACs replacement, no caps replacement, no fuse repacement, no AC power cord replacement. All cabling the usual normal stuff between 20 and 200 bucks.

I know I know, again, this is nothing, it has no real merit because we're not talking sota stuff here.
But let's talk sota now; first, how much because humans attach a lot of importance to money figures...it's in our nature.
Say $25,000? Is that high enough to be Sota? Or do we need twice @ $50,000? Hey, can we get Sota for $4,000?
...Or let's be true to ourselves; anything less than hundred grands they can keep watching Bond movies. It's humor, in case.

Last question: How accurate are the state-of-the-art most expensive digital scopes out there? Can they tell us all we really want/need to know, up to our most intimate emotional musical impulses? Can they monitor our heart beat and soul ascension? Can they be totally reliable in perfect sync with audio listening coordinates. Is there a direct relation between what reality is and what human perception is?

Brief, how much in absolute essence overall a scope has on the human scientific music audio trance/experience?
And very last, how much cost the best scopes?

Last edited:
Top Bottom