• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal now labels its HD files MAX sted of MASTERS. Where's MQA gone?

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I would still argue CD isn't a form of DRM, though. The licensing etc exist entirely apart from the media.
I don't either, I was quoting a definition of DRM that someone else gave, that CD fitted.

As this is an MQA related thread, I'd add that the mechanism that broke the patent appears to have been aimed at stopping so
No, it doesn't, just see the game industry, for example, the Nintendo games...
You still have to find the person to prosecute, and it has to be worthwhile for the company and law enforcement to go after a serious pirate. Civil law may be a more suitable option sometimes (different publicity) and there is little point in throwing the book at some kid who bought or obtained a dodgy copy of something.

nuht

You still have to find the person to prosecute, and it has to be worthwhile for the company and law enforcement to go after a serious pirate. Civil law may be a more suitable option sometimes (different publicity) and there is little point in throwing the book at some kid who bought or obtained a dodgy copy of something.
That is why I mentioned the game industry, in particular, Nintendo, all their new games for Switch have DRM, and they have the most pirated games for the previous video game generation, mostly because of their high game prices. And the game consumers are quite similar to the music consumers.

I do not remember DRM helping any music company to prevent piracy, only adding extra cost to the equipment, see MQA, in the past DACs that supported MQA were more expensive than the same model without MQA.
As I said, this is a complicated topic, but for now, the only way that I could really see decreasing piracy was by offering "just" prices for their products/services.

About the patents, when the digital content is distributed, if the law cannot prevent the misuse of this patent, it is not the DRM that will prevent it. Since the hacker has access to the digital content and the decoding equipment, soon or later they will break the DRM security.

alc

Audio Company
That is an excellent question. There have been countless cases of digital files being sold as high res when they were just upsampled by the mastering studios. And I remember even reading from a mastering engineer that there are plugin tools to upsample that even reconstruct waves and recreate high frequency information so that it shows above 20-30 kHz. So even checking is not guaranteed to be a true hi res recording. Changing from hi res downloads to hi res streaming would not change anything. This market is corrupt and there is little we customers can do.

I'm sure many of the folks here know this already, but when you take existing digital content and upsample, you do not get more high frequency content (unless it is an artifact - essentially noise and distortion) and you don't improve bit depth - so 44.1k - 16bit upsampled to 96k or 192k - 24 bit is not better from a content perspective.

From an equipment point of view, there are advantages to upsampling since aliasing artifacts, harmonic aliasing, etc in the DAC are far from 20kHz. In this case, there is no need to do this ahead of time or pay more for it. Your music server or perhaps your playback equipment can do this for you for free.

Al Clark
Danville Signal

Top Bottom