• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Three USB to S/SPDIF Converter Measurements: Audiophilleo, iFi iDAC2, SIGNSTEK

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If I play a test tone, how does the OS modify the tone? does it res-ample it? i.e. if test tone recorded at 96khz does it re-sample it to 44.1khz? or?
It can indeed. This is how it works and why.

In Windows, multiple applications can make sound simultaneously even though you have one audio hardware. You could be playing music while your email program wants to play "bing" to tell you that you have a new message. Your music could be 96 Khz but the bing, 44.1 Khz.

The solution is to convert all incoming audio samples from every application to a fixed sampling rate. This is in the sound control panel for your specific sound device:

upload_2017-5-27_8-36-16.png

The above is the internal DAC for the laptop I am using. As you see, there is a drop down that says, "24-bit, 44100." If you click on that, you will see a list of different bit depth and sampling rates. No matter what you play, Windows will resample to that value.

Windows also has to mix the sound from different applications. To maintain accuracy, it will convert all the integer audio samples to "floating point" and does the mixing in that domain. At the end, before sending it to the sound card, it needs to convert them back to integers. It can't do this by just truncating the fraction as that causes distortion. So it adds a bit of noise to them called "dither." This means that even if you play a file that is at the same sample rate as the above control panel, what goes to the sound card may be a bit different.

Some but not all sound card drivers could have two other interfaces that bypass all of this. One is called ASIO and then other WASAPI. By using an application like Foobar2000 that supports that kind of interface, you have a direct channel to the sound card and avoid any modification of audio samples so your source tones remain pure.

Similar problem exists in iTunes on MacOS but players like Amarra perform a similar function to above, providing "sample accurate" playback.

Don't worry if these things seem complicated. They are complicated :). We are happy to explain. Just ask questions.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
When you refer to ASIO, it appears that there are two types: "FL Studio ASIO" and "ASIO4ALL". Does it make a difference which is used?
First let me explain what they are about. ASIO4ALL provides an ASIO interface for sound devices/drivers that do not have ASIO interface. In general I recommend that you seek out devices that come with ASIO or WASAPI interfaces natively. I have had trouble getting ASIO4ALL working. Sometimes it works, other times it does not and there is no way to fix it.

On FL Studio, that is an audio editing application. It has an optional package from what I have read called FL Studio ASIO which includes ASIO4ALL. So it is not an alternative to the latter. Just get the installer for ASIO4ALL by itself and you should be good to go.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Prior to my current setup (Computer (WIN10) > USB > S/PDIF > powered speakers I had WIN XP > external Creative Sound Blaster Card with a S/PDIF output, just curious, do you know was this a ASIO based setup?
If you did nothing explicitly to enable ASIO, then likely not. It usually requires telling your player application to use ASIO.

Top Bottom