• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 4

Voidweaver

I'm on the look for a good pair of wireless earbuds and wanted to check with people on this forum as it was recommended to me by someone I trust. He said you guys around here know your audiophile gear, so here goes nothing. Also, apologies if this has been asked already - I couldn't find any satisfying results with the search function.

In terms of my needs, I'll mostly be using those earbuds to listen to music and podcasts while I'm taking a walk, doing house chores, or in the gym. I don't need exceptional ANC as I won't be spending much time in noisy environments (WFH benefits :D). I prefer higher sound quality. So far my eyes were mostly on the Galaxy Buds2 Pro since I saw them recommended for higher sound quality without absolutely smashing the bank here on this forum. However, I've always been a fan of Sennheiser products, and I really dig the design of the MTW 4.

So, does anyone have any experience with that? Any thoughts, opinions, and if anyone can compare them to the Buds2 Pro, that would be amazing.

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,
The One Who Weaves The Void

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had the line and they're well balanced and the bass is detailed and not artificial like the Sony equivalents. I just had the Momentum 4 headphones recently and would get them again too. Sennheiser warranty is 2 years so I'd buy direct from them or their Amazon official store. Out of warranty work is really expensive with them.

OP
Voidweaver

Voidweaver

I've had the line and they're well balanced and the bass is detailed and not artificial like the Sony equivalents. I just had the Momentum 4 headphones recently and would get them again too. Sennheiser warranty is 2 years so I'd buy direct from them or their Amazon official store. Out of warranty work is really expensive with them.
Have you used MTW4 or just the Momentum 4? Good point about the warrantly. Local retailers offer 2 year warranties which I assume are bound to Sennheiser so that should be fine. I think I can even pay for extra 1 or 2 years, which I intend to do should I decide to buy MTW4. I really wonder how they compare to the Buds2 Pro, since the latter are about half as expensive.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Sennheiser traditionally had a pretty wonky midrange tuning on their IEMs (IE800 etc).

They've started moving in the right direction with the IE600 and IE200, but the MTW4 seems to be more akin to their old stuff:
graph (41) (30).png

Target shown here is my personal preference, but you can play around with different targets and MTW4 settings here:

I'm a fan of the Galaxy Buds range and am currently using the Buds+, since I can replace the battery cells in each IEM in minutes, no soldering required.

TWS IEMs with permanently glued-in or soldered-in batteries are pretty stupid IMO. 2-3 years of use and they're e-waste.

OP
Voidweaver

Voidweaver

Sennheiser traditionally had a pretty wonky midrange tuning on their IEMs (IE800 etc).

They've started moving in the right direction with the IE600 and IE200, but the MTW4 seems to be more akin to their old stuff:
View attachment 368470

Target shown here is my personal preference, but you can play around with different targets and MTW4 settings here:

I'm a fan of the Galaxy Buds range and am currently using the Buds+, since I can replace the battery cells in each IEM in minutes, no soldering required.

TWS IEMs with permanently glued-in or soldered-in batteries are pretty stupid IMO. 2-3 years of use and they're e-waste.
Fair point about the battery...I might just get a Buds2 Pro since they're half the price of MTW4 and call it a day... Have you used them?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Fair point about the battery...I might just get a Buds2 Pro since they're half the price of MTW4 and call it a day... Have you used them?
I've only used the Buds+ and Buds2.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the MTW3 and they sound good and neutral to my ears. At home i use the DCA Stealth and Neumann speakers, so i am used to a neutral sound. I can't really compare, but I like them and would buy the MTW line again. I don't walk around with them, though. I can hear my own steps pretty loud if i am wearing them and walk around. I don't know if other IEs are different in that matter. Also i did not really try with the foam pieces. Maybe these are better in this regard than the silicon tips.

OP
Voidweaver

Voidweaver

I've contacted Sennheiser support to check with them if the batteries of the MTW4 are replaceable. If they are, I most probably will get them. If not, I might settle for something cheaper, like the JBL Endurance Race mentioned above. Or I might try looking up opinions on the best budget TW buds here on the forum.

Last edited:

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I have the Buds 2 Pro. They sound great, but the battery life is bad. About 4 hours with ANC on.

I saw an article yesterday saying the Buds 3 and 3 Pro are coming out in June or July and will supposedly have better battery life.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have owned the Buds2Pro since May 2023 and they have been great. They sound good, have adequate top end which is a major plussy for me and they go loud if I want that. I use them 2 or 3 times per day everyday for about 2 to 4 hours per session and then pop them back in the magnetic recharging case and I have never had a battery issue that way.

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any thoughts, opinions, and if anyone can compare them to the Buds2 Pro, that would be amazing.
1000031881.jpg

1000031882.jpg

OP
Voidweaver

Voidweaver

Yeah I've been looking at the rtings review of MTW4 which released just a few days ago. Comparing them to Buds2 Pro TW specifically on the Phase Response Mismatch metric, I can see that Samsung is all over the place:
1715683311169.png

However, I'm not quite sure what this means. Can someone that knows more than me explain to me in layman's terms whether this is a problem or not?

Thanks and sorry if I'm asking questions that have been answered before. I'm quite new to this stuff.

Top Bottom