• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

thoughts on how to use REW software and laptop in my room

heboil

Hi everyone -

I recently picked up a UMIK-1 mic to use with REW in my HT. I got it working, but the setup is far from ideal. My AVR is in an adjacent room and the way to connect to it and my laptop is through a solid door that needs to be open and acoustically interfering with speakers. I have a hole near the front of my theater where I route cables from the gear room. I could get a very long HDMI and run it through the wall, but even then, I think I would physically be positioned close to the screen/sub/center channel. Here is a picture and drawing. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

PXL_20240206_202236589.RAW-01.MP.COVER.jpg

rew.jpg

OP
H

heboil

Awesome! That is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. Thank you!

OP
H

heboil

Use REW's generator to export measurement sweeps and pink noise as 48kHz, 24 bit WAV files.
Load them onto a USB stick and plug it into the Denon.
Use the Denon's remote to navigate to the files and play them back, and the laptop to measure the response.
Hey there. I have tried... but I have been unsuccessful. I cannot save a WAV file that makes any sound.

Screenshot of my output attempts. BTW, they output, but I cannot hear anything when I try and play them. I tried 24 bit and 16 bit. Nothing.

Screenshot 2024-02-27 161244.jpg

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Would you be kind enough to upload the .WAV file to a cloud service so that we may have a look at it please?

A few thoughts first ... (1) try 0dBFS and make sure your player volume is turned down, and (2) make sure your player supports 48kHz.

OP
H

heboil

I did it as float and nada. I'm guessing I have configured it improperly. It works when I play the sound from REW, but I can't export it. ???

droid2000

I did it as float and nada. I'm guessing I have configured it improperly. It works when I play the sound from REW, but I can't export it. ???
I just created a wav file using the exact same parameters you specified, and it plays correctly. So there is something wrong with your instance of REW, or the computer. Reboot the computer and try everything again from scratch. You could also try updating REW if you don't have the latest version.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
This is your .WAV file:

1709101221356.png

Looks like your REW did not record anything. There is an issue with your copy of REW. Suggest you uninstall it and reinstall the latest version. If the problem persists, it is a bug with REW - make a report here.

OP
H

heboil

OK... the problem has to be my computer. I tried uninstalling, rolling back to earlier versions, 64-bit, 32-bit... but nothing. Then I installed REW on a desktop, ran the generator and voila. Sound. Don't know what is wrong with it, but thanks for the help. I still need that laptop to get the measurements, but I don't need it to create the sweeps.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I am sure John Mulcahey would be interested to find out what is going on. I suggest you make a post in the REW forum.

kejar31

I have a similar situation... AVR in the room beside my theater. Although in that rack I do have a small cluster of servers etc. I just took one of my mini-pc's and installed REW on it then simply RDP to do all my tests. As for my UMIK-1 I simply ran a long USB extension cable through the access hole I had for the other cables that lead to my rack.

Top Bottom