• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Tablet thread

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got a new tablet recently and wanted to share my experience, but there was no thread, so here is a new one.

I have this aging Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Pro. I took it on longer bike tours as a navigation device and it got a bit hot a few times, which apparently seems to have degraded its battery. So i went looking for a new battery, but instead bought a new tablet, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 9 Ultra.

In terms of software and features it's basically the same as the 6 Pro, except it will get a few more years more updates. Both come with a well working stylus.

The S9 Ultra is 14.9 inches large, a good amount larger than the S6 Pro which was a good amount larger than 10 inches. It's almost comical.
However, it's awesome to watch movies in bed with it :).

The S9 sound is far better than the S6. I found voices sometimes hard to understand, but that isn't a problem with the S9 Ultra, apparently the speakers have 20% more membrane area, whatever that exactly means.

I have bought the Ultra Book Cover and it's exactly as well made as the Cover for the S6 Pro. I also bought a Ultra Keyboard Slim. There are two keyboards, the regular one with a mouse pad, and the one i have. There is a price difference of about 100€ too. The keyboard is well made and works well. The stand for Slim keyboard only has one position, the one with the mouse pad has a better mechanism. Still, i think the Slim is the right choice for me, i use it rarely and i also use an external bluetooth mouse. The keys and the layout are the same anyway.

Battery time appears to be the same as the one in the S9 when it was new, as is the speed of the CPU.

Both have SD-Card support. I have a 1TB card from Sandisk and it works flawless.

You can use the S9 Ultra as a second screen for a Windows PC, not sure if this was possible with the S6 Pro as well. Sadly, the feature doesn't work with Linux.

Both have the DEX software, connected to a monitor or TV, you can have a Windows like Desktop experience and either mirror the screen or use both or just the external one.

Transfer of my information from one to the other devices was flawless with some tool they provided.

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Both have the DEX software, connected to a monitor or TV, you can have a Windows like Desktop experience and either mirror the screen or use both or just the external one.

I have a Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2016 model) that while still going strong, it needs to be replaced. I've been strongly considering the the S9+, because with a keyboard cover, a USB mouse, & a USB-C to HDMI cable, I can ditch my laptop while traveling (less weight and bulk).

Honestly I'm shocked Apple and Google haven't released a competitor for DEX. Imo the average member of the general public doesn't really need the power of a personal desktop or laptop anymore, so giving them a way of casting to a larger screen and using a keyboard and mouse would allow them to do away with them.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Honestly I'm shocked Apple and Google haven't released a competitor for DEX.

iPad-Pro-iPadOS16-with-external-monitor346364346.jpg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Me three on the connect to external devices. For most people even a phone is plenty if you use an external monitor, mouse and keyboard. I see people do things like apply for a job on a phone, and I'm thinking, why don't you cast it to your TV and use a bluetooth keyboard.

just1n

Forum Donor
Me three on the connect to external devices. For most people even a phone is plenty if you use an external monitor, mouse and keyboard. I see people do things like apply for a job on a phone, and I'm thinking, why don't you cast it to your TV and use a bluetooth keyboard.
Watching the TV while applying for a job.

I used to cast to a TV but it wasn’t enjoyable. I no longer have a personal laptop or computer. Phone and tablet is all I need most of the time. Every once in a while there is a Windows only application (Dirac or REW) that forces me to pull out a 5yr old laptop to do something.

Wish Dirac developed a full version of their app to iPad. If only someone far smarter than I could port REW too. That would be fun and I’d be for more likely to use it.

I do love the iPad because it’s dead silent, powerful, and a nice screen. Next option is a mini PC or Mac Mini to remote into from my iPad, but I do not have time to do that. Maybe next year.

Last edited:

DLS79

Forum Donor

DLS79

Forum Donor

I work with someone who did their taxes online via a phone..... :eek:o_O

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
From what i can tell via some quickly google it's not available on any iPhone model yet.

It’s an iPad Pro feature.

And yes, it’s limited. If you want a desktop experience, buy a laptop. I also would not want a poorly performing Android tablet to pretend to be a desktop replacement.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s an iPad Pro feature.

And yes, it’s limited. If you want a desktop experience, buy a laptop. I also would not want a poorly performing Android tablet to pretend to be a desktop replacement.
I think for 90% or more of the general public an Android phone or tablet is a desktop replacement. They don't have a desktop. What it would do is let them have a large screen and keyboard so that filling out forms like for a job, medical forms, insurance forms or filling out taxes online they are way better off than using a touchscreen of 5 inches or so. They would likely not benefit with a real desktop in any other way than the better user interface.

DLS79

Forum Donor
I think for 90% or more of the general public an Android phone or tablet is a desktop replacement. They don't have a desktop. What it would do is let them have a large screen and keyboard so that filling out forms like for a job, medical forms, insurance forms or filling out taxes online they are way better off than using a touchscreen of 5 inches or so. They would likely not benefit with a real desktop in any other way than the better user interface.

I agree, the most computationally expensive things your average consumer does today is video streaming, photo editing, and in rare cases video editing, everything else is web browser based.

If you set aside video editing, modern mid tier or higher smartphones and tablets already handle those workloads with ease. They are only held back by the the lack of keyboard, mouse, and screen size.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For most people even a phone is plenty if you use an external monitor, mouse and keyboard.
There was one years ago that had a HDMI connector and you could get a Display/Keyboard combo for it. Motorola something?

I no longer have a personal laptop or computer.
Few month ago i upgraded my PC to what was the latest and greatest then, i7-14700, 4090 VGA card, all the finest.
It was very much worth it to me, got me back into gaming. Right now i'm enjoying sim racing.

And yes, it’s limited. If you want a desktop experience, buy a laptop.
You can do that with DEX, no need to buy another device if you don't want one.

But i rarely use it. I still need a laptop for REW ;-).
Well, it's Android, i probably could run Windows in a virtual machine or something, if i really wanted to.
Something entirely inconceivable by iToddlers. :p

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom