• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

oleg87

If you don't know what a vertical transient is then you haven't spent much time in front of an oscilloscope.
I've spent many, many hours in front of oscilloscopes, it's part of my job. If a DAC has trouble dealing with "transients" in the way you describe, it'll make a giant mess of Amir's multitone measurements. Performant budget DACs have no such issue.

StandardModel

Forum Donor
If you don't know what a vertical transient is then you haven't spent much time in front of an oscilloscope looking at square waves.
This may help you:
Why is transient analysis important?

The main purpose of transient analysis in Physics is to understand how a system responds to sudden changes or fluctuations over time. Its applications are widely seen in electrical engineering, particularly in studying circuits and systems during the switch-on phase.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm anxious for Amir to review one. I'll leave it up to you to send one in to him. I have a bit of knowledge in this area as I'm an electrical engineer and patent attorney. I've been doing this for 60 years so I also have a little experience. In theory all amplifiers are wires with gain and all D to A converters are 100% accurate so completely neutral. Then the real world intrudes. I'm not one of these people who buys cables braided by virgins but there sure are component differences. I (and most everybody else) can tell the difference between an AKM chip and an ESS chip and more particularly R2R ladder Dacs. They all have a different sound regardless of noise or frequency response measurements.
Uh huh.

Perhaps it's the harmonics but they definitely sound different. I agree with you that the usual suspects hype the latest bling and we all should be very skeptical of their reviews. I'm comparing the LAiV Harmony to my Gustard r26 r2r Dac which is no slouch. To my ears, the LAiV sounds better. Confirmation bias? Maybe. Time will tell.
YMMV.
Only a level matched blind test will tell.

StandardModel

Forum Donor
You are absolutely correct and honestly, since I haven't done that I don't know what the result will be.

Jim Taylor

Forum Donor
I haven't done double blind testing and don't purport to have done so. I'm not desperate to prove anything to anyone.

A double-blind test (DBT) is not for you to prove anything to anyone else ... especially not us. A DBT is to illuminate YOU to your true abilities or lack thereof. I apologize if I didn't make that more clear.

We have seen people labor under the delusions fostered by non-scientific and uncontrolled comparisons. That's not saying that they don't have the most incredibly sincere beliefs, it's simply that they have too little understanding of how the human mind works, the biases upon which it depends, and the controls that need to be placed upon it.. Their sincerity, therefore, is incorrectly applied.

If you wonder why I (and others) insist on these principles, it's not because we wish to have an adversarial relationship with you. Absolutely the opposite. It's because we want you to know more about yourself, about audio, and about the methods used by disingenuous people.

If you had been blind and found a cure, would you not want others to also be cured? Would you not want them to "see the light", so to speak? I certainly would ... or I should say, I certainly do. The members here feel the same way.

Please join us. :)

Jim

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
200w.gif

You say the hottest DAC... so does it just run very hot, is it going to overheat or something, or does it double as a heater in winter?

JSmith

StandardModel

Forum Donor
A double-blind test (DBT) is not for you to prove anything to anyone else ... especially not us. A DBT is to illuminate YOU to your true abilities or lack thereof. I apologize if I didn't make that more clear.

We have seen people labor under the delusions fostered by non-scientific and uncontrolled comparisons. That's not saying that they don't have the most incredibly sincere beliefs, it's simply that they have too little understanding of how the human mind works, the biases upon which it depends, and the controls that need to be placed upon it.. Their sincerity, therefore, is incorrectly applied.

If you wonder why I (and others) insist on these principles, it's not because we wish to have an adversarial relationship with you. Absolutely the opposite. It's because we want you to know more about yourself, about audio, and about the methods used by disingenuous people.

If you had been blind and found a cure, would you not want others to also be cured? Would you not want them to "see the light", so to speak? I certainly would ... or I should say, I certainly do. The members here feel the same way.

Join us ... please. :)

Jim
Jim,

This is a fun hobby for me. I have no desire to get into any kind of a dispute with anyone, particularly the pejorative ones with ad hominem attacks.
I'm well aware that double blind tests are the gold standard and would never dispute that.
My issue is that one should not prejudge another's subjective opinion until and unless a double blind test has been performed. Some seem to be convinced that they know in advance what a double blind test will reveal before it has been performed. That seems unreasonable to me. I will happily join you but remember what Groucho Marx said "I'd never belong to a club that had me as one of its members".

Do you disagree?

StandardModel

Jim Taylor

Forum Donor
My issue is that one should not prejudge another's subjective opinion until and unless a double blind test has been performed. Some seem to be convinced that they know in advance what a double blind test will reveal before it has been performed.

I understand how you feel.

Let's say I came upon a pot of hot water. I want to know how hot it is. I put in your finger, and it was severely scalded. The person to my right put in their finger, and it was severely scalded. The person to my left did the same, and the result was the same.

Now our friend @StandardModel comes along, and wants to put his finger in the water to see how hot it is. Do we know in advance what will happen to him if he puts his finger in the hot water?

I believe that we do.

Jim

StandardModel

Forum Donor
200w.gif

You say the hottest DAC... so does it just run very hot, is it going to overheat or something, or does it double as a heater in winter?

JSmith

I understand how you feel.

Let's say I came upon a pot of hot water. I want to know how hot it is. I put in your finger, and it was severely scalded. The person to my right put in their finger, and it was severely scalded. The person to my left did the same, and the result was the same.

Now our friend @StandardModel comes along, and wants to put his finger in the water to see how hot it is. Do we know in advance what will happen to him if he puts his finger in the hot water?

I believe that we do.

Jim
Interesting but flawed analogy. A more accurate one would be sometimes the water is hot and sometimes it's cold (each Dac is different) but you don't know in advance which it is. Our friend (me) takes a very small admittedly imperfect sample of the water and says it's cold. The observers say it's hot because it was hot the last three times they put their finger in. Is the water hot or cold?

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
That was Steve Huff.
Oh ok, makes sense... he's always full of hot air. :p

So these "reviews"... where are the measurements?

1714958319450.png

1714958598422.png

R2R%20Modules.jpg

Discrete R-2R... meh.

Monochrome OLED display... couldn't pony up for colour?

It is claimed these specs are from;
The specification was evaluated using an Audio Precision APx Analyzer under PCM192kHz, SPDIF input, and balanced XLR output conditions.
THD+N
Better than 110 dB, 20Hz – 20kHz

Crosstalk
Better than 123dB, A-Wt.

Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR)
Better than 110dB, A-Wt.

JSmith

Jim Taylor

Forum Donor
Interesting but flawed analogy. A more accurate one would be sometimes the water is hot and sometimes it's cold but you don't know in advance which it is. Our friend (me) takes a very small admittedly imperfect sample of the water and says it's cold. The observers say it's hot because it was hot the last three times they put their finger in. Is the water hot or cold?

I love analogies, but admittedly many of mine are flawed. I am a little too enthusiastic about using them, and feel pressured to get them into a post quickly.

What can I say? I'm not perfect.

However, your analogy is equally flawed, if not more so.

The tools that we use are known scientific principles, proven by years of successful applications. In these cases, we can say that the water is always hot, as in the necessary restrictions on the design of nuclear power plants, or the requirements to successfully launch a rocket and its payload to the outer planets. Consistency has been exhibited, or some would say proven.
As in all things engineering, there are tolerances involved; nothing is absolutely perfect. But the tolerances are within such limits that the results ARE PREDICTABLE. Nuclear power plants have been built, all around the world, and if you ask the authorities whether they can predict what will happen if you do this or do that, they can tell you with accuracy. By the same token, rocket after rocket has been sent into orbit or beyond, and the predictability has become quite astonishing. (I was in school before Sputnik 1 achieved orbit, so to me all this latest use of rocketry is quite amazing.)

All this use of analogies is really beside the point. The real point is; do you trust science and logic that has been successfully proven, time and time again ... or not?

Jim

p.s. - I figured that there was a reason that you had adopted the username "Standard Model". After all, it successfully predicted the W and Z bosons.

Last edited:

ta240

Major Contributor
The list above have pretty much captured most if not all of the “usual suspects” when it comes to shrills and hypes…
I'll admit I do enjoy an occasional enthusiastic, Audiopheliac review or even watching Paul from PS Audio waxing on about different subjects, however it is still hard to see ones of that level quoted as experts. I've seen Danny R's wisdom quoted online and his statements about speakers treated as fact.

In a past life I worked in sales and I've encountered a huge variety of salespeople from terrible to very talented and all would love to be the salesman that people think of as their friend, the expert. And that is what so many have achieved on social media.

It reminds me of the Fyre, where all the influencers hyped it up and then didn't show because it was a train wreck. The hot DAC of 2024 will be cooling in no time and the next hot product will be making the rounds. All these people raving about it will be raving about how amazing the next 'in' component is. Anyone remember the Vista Spark? I don't even see much about Chord DACs anymore. The Mojo used to be everywhere. If each new product were as much more amazing than the old choices then our minds should be completely blown by the output of our systems.
It is the old joke about MPG improvement add-ons they sold/sell for cars. If you put all of them on your car you have to stop every 10 miles and drain gas off or the tank will overflow.

Jim Taylor

Forum Donor
Folks, we are getting trolled… right? The OP isn’t actually serious… right? Any topping or smsl would absolutely destroy this thing

I know what it looks like, but I prefer to give new posters the benefit of the doubt. If @StandardModel is a troll, he will eventually give himself away. Until then, one must consider the thousands of visitors that read this forum every day. They may be laboring under the same misconceptions that are in evidence here, and a solid, logical, point-by-point refutation of Anti-Science Mania can help them to no end.

Jim

Last edited:

Jim Taylor

Forum Donor
How is someone a member here for more than five years and then starts a thread like this?

That is a not-uncommon troll technique. That's why I said, " I know what it looks like ...". Still I'm always harping about "proof" this and "proof" that, so I guess I'll just have to wait for @StandardModel to prove his intentions.

Jim

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is a not-uncommon troll technique. That's why I said, " I know what it looks like ...". Still I'm always harping about "proof" this and "proof" that, so I guess I'll just have to wait for @StandardModel to prove his intentions.

Jim

I totally hear you RE trolling techniques. It just seems weird that someone would have joined all the way back in March 2019 and waited until now to do it.

Top Bottom