• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Midguard just died and the blue smoke escaped

spede

Schiit happens, my Jotunheim 2 power switch got stuck "on" position. I have been pulling power cord off for a year or so to shut it down, could buy cord with switch at some point.

Oldson

Forum Donor
I purchased the Schiit Midguard headphone amp on 2/28/24. It has been great till now. As I was unplugging my headphones, there was a popping noise and the blue smoke came out along with a burning smell. The room still smells like it.

It was the 1/4" jack since I had that cable on the HD 800 S headphones.

Has anyone had something like that happen before when just unplugging a headphone?

I submitted the request for assistance form to Schiit.

I'm glad I kept the Magni+ I was previously using.
had the exact same thing happen to my Phonitor SE.
luckily the supplier repaired it.
now i use balanced cables only with an adapter to single ended. i leave the adapter plugged in to the amp all the time and only ever unplug at the xlr connector.
unfortunately for me i have the Phonitor SE model, so no balanced out on the amp itself.
i am sure, one day when i am distracted, i will blow it again and for this reason i have started considering replacing the amp.
was considering a Topping but have been put off of the brand after reading several issues on here, coupled with poor support.
one thing i will want, going forward, is balanced out. then the problem cant happen.
thinking Jot 2 or SA-1

Last edited:
Top Bottom