• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RPG Modex Edge a Resonator Bass Absorber

Pelonis

https://www.rpgacoustic.com/modex-edge/

I see RPG has a new to me product, any inputs would be appreciated. It looks to me like it is some kind Hemholtz Resonator type product.

The Modex Edges are dedicated, broadband, low frequency sound absorbers designed to balance the modal distribution of small rooms such as studio control rooms and home theaters down to 20Hz. The damped chamber system is able to offer bass control over several octaves while not contributing to mid or high frequency absorption.

• High-pass resonator design.
  • 30 – 500 Hz absorption efficiency.
  • Modular free-standing unit.
  • Fabric upholstered exterior with decorative trim.
  • Corner and Mid-wall mounting.
I think I can speak to this since I invented it back in the 80's. I've used this technology in hundreds of rooms...maybe 1000. The original testing was done at WEAL. Later tested at Chesapeake Labs, RPG. The raw data shows the effectiveness below 100Hz to the lower octaves. My field measurement also have shown drastic improvements in rooms with response to 20Hz. The fiend measurements actually have consistently shown greater absorption up to about 400Hz (as did the WEAL results)where the roll of begins. It's broad and gradual. Because of the facetted geometric results when applied to rear wall, the transition from absorption to reflection provided scattering and no direct reflective interference. I have experimented with many other devices and haven't found any that satisfied my requirements. I was hopeful because at the time I was manufacturing devices myself which I do not enjoy. I'm pretty much retired from design..."almost" but noticed this post and thought I'd provide some insight based on real world experience. One more thing.... the power of the LF after proper treatment with this devise is much more accurate and present. Several Db increase.

Top Bottom