• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Refreshing movies worth watching

Short38

NotoriouS
Who can forget the desperation in Claude Raines face as he is summoned back into his home with the line “Sebastian we want to talk to you….”

Flashpoint

JFK

HoweSound

The Stunt Man
A favourite of mine: The Stunt Man got little attention when it was released. Peter O'Toole is perfectly cast as the megalomaniacal film director. I show this to friends occasionally, some get it, some don't; you have to avoid getting too judgmental early in the movie, but also pay attention because there's lots to miss.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
FYI - for members of ASR with access to the Turner Classic Movies (TCM) cable channel........

TCM will be showing eight films directed by Tod Browning (1931 Dracula) beginning on Thursday, October 19, 2023 at 6AM Pacific Time

Notable among them is the recently restored 1932 horror-tinged drama 'Freaks' that will be shown at 1PM Pacific

Criterion released this restoration of 'Freaks' on physical media yesterday

JiiPee

Hugo - Not a typical Martin Scorsese film, but very nice anyway.
hugo.jpg

Annieskipper

One of my personal favorites is "The Stunt Man," a film that received limited attention upon its initial release. In this movie, Peter O'Toole's portrayal of the megalomaniacal film director is absolutely spot-on. I enjoy sharing this film with friends from time to time, although I've noticed that some grasp its essence while others may not fully appreciate it. To truly appreciate this cinematic gem, one must resist forming quick judgments early on in the story. Instead, it's essential to remain engaged and attentive throughout the viewing, as there are numerous subtleties and intricacies that can easily be overlooked. It's a film that rewards those who invest their full attention and an open mind, making each viewing a unique and thought-provoking experience.

Annieskipper

Last night, I caught The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar on Netflix, a captivating Wes Anderson production featuring a star-studded cast including Benedict Cumberbatch, Ralph Fiennes, Ben Kingsley, and Dev Patel. Based on the beloved Roald Dahl book, it was a delightful 40-minute theatrical experience that left me with a warm, nostalgic feeling.

Eulipian

Tender Mercies - Robert Duval in a singing role
Beetlejuice
Best in Show, A Mighty Wind
This is Spinal Tap
The Big Lebowski
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
The Return of the Pink Panther
Elf
Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, World's End
Tropic Thunder
Four Weddings and a Funeral
Galaxy Quest
Groundhog Day
The In Laws
Tremors
Napoleon Dynamite
Office Space
Some Like it Hot
Tootsie

Andysu

Major Contributor
star trek the motion picture , theatrical version with theatrical mix Dolby Stereo 4.2.4 only exits on laserdisc , it inspires Dolby Atmos hybrid versions 1 2 and 3
02bc152b-2409-4c16-90dd-558ec05604fd_text.gif

it tears me up the enterprise beauty shot with jerry goldsmith score , where enterprise goes to warp speed to possibility of planets that would take hundreds to thousands years to reach

Last edited:

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom