• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rain stops play..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are those glues you mentioned 'fast acting' ? Ie can I hold it in place with my hand or are they longer setting ( curing) compounds?

The Aleen's Tacky glue is pretty thick from the beginning. It doesn't just run away. Sets pretty well in a few minutes, and excess wipes up with water.

The other stuff is either thick or sticks on contact. Sort of a rubber contact cement. It won't cure to full strength immediately, but will stick in place right away. The epoxy is maybe thinner than gel, but will hold well enough in a few minutes.

If the maker said gel superglue, then I would use what you ordered. Then again, it let go didn't it? Just make sure you put a wider coating on than they did. I would mask off around it with wax paper.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The Aleen's Tacky glue is pretty thick from the beginning. It doesn't just run away. Sets pretty well in a few minutes, and excess wipes up with water.

The other stuff is either thick or sticks on contact. Sort of a rubber contact cement. It won't cure to full strength immediately, but will stick in place right away. The epoxy is maybe thinner than gel, but will hold well enough in a few minutes.

If the maker said gel superglue, then I would use what you ordered. Then again, it let go didn't it? Just make sure you put a wider coating on than they did. I would mask off around it with wax paper.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Here's a flexible glue that I've used for years, might be just the ticket.
http://3mauto.com/3m-black-super-weatherstrip-adhesive-03602.html#p78helrFURRj1O17.97

Very thick out of the tube, sets up over night into a black strechy rubbery stretchy consistency. Holds the rubber weatherstrip seals like around the doors and trunk for years and years. Good stuff, should be able to pick up at your local auto parts store. Get a tube and try it out on anything first to see what you think

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Very thick out of the tube, sets up over night into a black strechy rubbery stretchy consistency. Holds the rubber weatherstrip seals like around the doors and trunk for years and years. Good stuff, should be able to pick up at your local auto parts store. Get a tube and try it out on anything first to see what you think
I will do, bound to need it at some point :oops:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You shouldn't be glueing anything,Vivid should be replacing !
How you can you maintain they are 'superior' after all the problems you have had with them, I would say 'not fit for purpose'.
Keith

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
You shouldn't be glueing anything,Vivid should be replacing !
How you can you maintain they are 'superior' after all the problems you have had with them, I would say 'not fit for purpose'.
Keith
Yes the build is way bellow par but the design is very good and they measure well. So they are superior to a Elac B6 . Suggesting otherwise is bizarre Keith.

As always I will be the only person in the world with these issues, scientifically I'd be dismissed from the results of any test relating to vivid build quality :D

The two pairs they built for me were shit ( failed when driven with a reasonable but more demanding than most program, as well as suffering a few other inappropriate build practices ) . The other 200 plus pairs out there are fine apparently.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Turns out my replacement woofers were stuck with a rubber based glue they don't normally use, thinking it would be better. So likely I can look forward to them all falling apart at some point..

Note to anyone relying on a type of repetition of process to make things or indeed just as part of their work, don't introduce unnecessary variables in the processes. Have a thorough understanding of the variables that might be introduced that are beyond your control and adjust your processes accordingly. Ad hoc deviations from procedure will be punished by unforeseen knock on consequences. ( rarely are these positive).

I learnt this in my work , I'm sure it translates to manufacturing beyond the humble building site and my work discipline ( drywall) .

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Turns out my replacement woofers were stuck with a rubber based glue they don't normally use, thinking it would be better. So likely I can look forward to them all falling apart at some point..
A huge bummer.
Did you ever pursue getting a refund any further?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Doesn't look like they stress test them themselves. JBL has this chamber where they play the drivers loud for some 24 hours. I have not been in it but I understand it is painfully loud there.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Doesn't look like they stress test them themselves. JBL has this chamber where they play the drivers loud for some 24 hours. I have not been in it but I understand it is painfully loud there.
That's one of the issues , quick frequency range test and the driver is passed.. The situation is all to typical in hi end audio or so iv been informed.

For the best will in the world these boutique companies are not manufacturing experts.. They start making shed loads of product and shipping round the world .. a recipe for disaster.

Hi end audio is very protective over itself so very few of the many stories I hear get made public plus the guys buying it don't want to admit the issues either as it devalues their investment both finically and in terms of kudos.

I guess I'm a bit diffrent :confused::D

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
JBL has this chamber where they play the drivers loud for some 24 hours.

Is that a production or design test?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is that a production or design test?
My understanding is that it is both but again, I have not been there. Here is the FAQ: https://www.jblpro.com/pages/general_faq.htm

"
  • JBL tests speaker systems as systems. Some competitive speaker systems are rated based on the power rating of the individual transducers. Actually, the power handling of each individual component doesn't tell the entire story. When a transducer is installed in an enclosure, it may not be able to dissipate heat as well as it did outside of a box. Or the cross-over network might fail long before the transducers. When you select a JBL speaker system, you know that the design has been tested as a complete system.
  • JBL tests speaker designs with long term testing at high power. A speaker system typically doesn't reach its maximum operating temperature for at least 2 or more hours. Yet some manufacturers make power handling claims based on mere minutes of testing. At JBL, our power tests subject each speaker design to the kind of stress and strain it will get in years of actual use.
  • JBL uses the IEC spectrum for testing speakers. The IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) has established a standard for a loudspeaker test signal. This method uses shaped noise in a specified frequency range (50 Hz - 5 kHz), a specified high and low-pass filter slope, and a specified "crest factor" (the ratio between the average and peak signal level). IEC shaped noise places greater demands on a speaker than real music."
The last bullet seems to be for production testing.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes the build is way bellow par but the design is very good and they measure well. So they are superior to a Elac B6 . Suggesting otherwise is bizarre Keith.

As always I will be the only person in the world with these issues, scientifically I'd be dismissed from the results of any test relating to vivid build quality :D

The two pairs they built for me were shit ( failed when driven with a reasonable but more demanding than most program, as well as suffering a few other inappropriate build practices ) . The other 200 plus pairs out there are fine apparently.

I've heard that story before. We have hundreds or thousands and nobody else has the same problems. I would give it about a 90% chance of being untrue. After all why were they swapping adhesives hoping for better results if there wasn't a problem?

When I was still working I ran into this many times. Eventually I would seek out other customers of the equipment and go visit. When I inquired, usually before I even asked a specific question, they would say we like it except and then describe the same problems I had been told only this one installation had experienced. I only recall twice when it turned out we were the only place with certain issues, and by comparing how the other companies used the equipment we eventually figured out what was different in our use. Now in this case of speakers they are used to play music so doubtful it is down to anything you are doing differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom