• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please help with equipment selection

Lord Magus

Hello everyone, I currently have a pair of speakers connected to power amplifiers, connected to an SMSL DO 100 DAC via XLR, connected to a Wiim Pro streamer via optical.

1) I want to be able to plug two subwoofers
2) I want to be able to run any DSP software (preferably something good and easy to setup)

I have been looking at the Mini DSP SHD as it has 4 outputs. 2 for LR and 2 subs, full license for Dirac Live 3.x, microphone, etc. It is also a Streamer and DAC but that also means I would not need the SMSL and the WiiM anymore. I'd like to keep those two as they're fairly new.
There's also the Mini DSP Flex that doesn't include the streamer part, or XLR outputs, it uses TRS as balanced connections instead. It also doesn't include the Dirac Live 3.x license that is included in the SHD version. So I would have to pay extra for those and I'm not sure how much it would add in the end.

Are there any other options as good or better than the mentioned above that do not go over Mini DSP SHD price?

Thanks in advance.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone, I currently have a pair of speakers connected to power amplifiers, connected to an SMSL DO 100 DAC via XLR, connected to a Wiim Pro streamer via optical.

1) I want to be able to plug two subwoofers
2) I want to be able to run any DSP software (preferably something good and easy to setup)

I have been looking at the Mini DSP SHD as it has 4 outputs. 2 for LR and 2 subs, full license for Dirac Live 3.x, microphone, etc. It is also a Streamer and DAC but that also means I would not need the SMSL and the WiiM anymore. I'd like to keep those two as they're fairly new.
There's also the Mini DSP Flex that doesn't include the streamer part, or XLR outputs, it uses TRS as balanced connections instead. It also doesn't include the Dirac Live 3.x license that is included in the SHD version. So I would have to pay extra for those and I'm not sure how much it would add in the end.

Are there any other options as good or better than the mentioned above that do not go over Mini DSP SHD price?

Thanks in advance.
2 subs can (maybe) be done from any RCA output if you just use a Y-cable, as long as you aren't going for stereo bass.

As for alternative options, I can tell you that using a mini-PC as a DSP unit is a viable option.

Not sure how it is on your end, but in the US on Amazon there are many Lenovo refurbished PCs for around $100 US. You add a box for SPDIF in/out, use your existing DAC, and come away spending less than $200.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well not quite $200. Add in the cost of a measurement mic (Umik), Dirac or Sonarworks or etc, the 4 channel DAC and things start to add up a bit more.

However, that is how you will get the very best results. For 2 subs you can get good results with a mic, REW app and some time but if you want easy I'd highly recommend Dirac Live Bass Control for PC/Mac which will integrate your 2 subs to your main speakers. The difference between regular Dirac and DLBC is quite astounding in my opinion.

Otherwise get the Flex with TRS out, a Umik and Dirac for $844 USD compared to the $1300 SHD. You'll need TRS to XLR cables (TRS are fully balanced 4V connections) for your balanced amps and TRS to RCA (presumably) for the 2 subwoofers. You'll still need a computer to set up the Flex, it's standalone after that.

This then replaces the SMSL, sell it off to offset the cost of the Flex.

Top Bottom