• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parasound JC2 preamp

In reading reviews and YouTube video on this preamp, they give the impression of the clarity, the exquisite detail and clean sound it provides. I think it would improve the sound over my current NAD 658 preamp. Now the JC2 does not have a phono preamp which is fine as I already have the Parasound JC3 JR phono preamp. But what is causing me to pause is its lack of a headphone amp. I can deal with the need to purchase a streamer and D/A but not a headphone amp as well. :confused:

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Performance is ok but surely not for the called price: please read Amir's review.
Yes, that's why I'm very sceptical and doubtful about the merits of L'OP's approach.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In reading reviews and YouTube video on this preamp, they give the impression of the clarity, the exquisite detail and clean sound it provides. I think it would improve the sound over my current NAD 658 preamp. Now the JC2 does not have a phono preamp which is fine as I already have the Parasound JC3 JR phono preamp. But what is causing me to pause is its lack of a headphone amp. I can deal with the need to purchase a streamer and D/A but not a headphone amp as well. :confused:
I auditioned the JC2 some years ago. It is fine. It has no perceptible frequency response or distortion aberrations to color its sound. I did not like the response of the motorized volume control. It was not very precise.

Regarding the ASR review, in my opinion this is another case of the SINAD and other measurements not being in the top 10 percentile but the performance is more than adequate and I doubt any one could hear the difference between the JC2 and the best measuring preamps.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Regarding the ASR review, in my opinion this is another case of the SINAD and other measurements not being in the top 10 percentile but the performance is more than adequate and I doubt any one could hear the difference between the JC2 and the best measuring preamps.
I think that's what Amir said in his conclusion: "As it is, performance is good enough for most people to not hear the impairments. But poor enough to bother the heck out of me that $4,000 was paid but you got average results."

Most people won't be able to tell the difference between this and amplifiers that measure better. Amir's observation is more pertinent about the price.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I owned and loved a Parasound P3 for many years; I paired it with both the A23 and later A21 amplifiers. They were all pleasant and perfectly adequate components.

I got the audiophile itch and replaced the P3 with a tubed preamp, an Audio Experience Balanced A2, which I also loved.

After finding this site and listening to one at the Florida Audio Expo I bought my Benchmark HPA4 which I consider the perfect balance of audiophile credibility (Stereophile Class A recommended component) and measured performance (ASR review).

Martin

Top Bottom