• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Optical connection

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I remember years ago, optical was capped and could t handle hi-red audio. I can’t remember the limit, but I think it couldn’t do 24/192. And now it can.

May I ask, that’s great for the input on a DAC, but what about output on say a Blu-ray Disc player, or a DAP? Can they (and do they regularly) output up to 24/192 over optical?

Thank you.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was researching this recently for my Panasonic Blu-ray player and found this tiny bit of information in the user manual.

OPTICAL Down Sampling Set the maximum sampling frequency to be used when outputting down-sampled audio from the OPTICAL terminal. ≥ Set a frequency supported by the connected device. ≥ When playing back BD-Video, signals are converted to 48 kHz despite the settings in the following cases: – when the signals have a sampling frequency of 192 kHz – when the disc has copy protection – when “BD-Video Secondary Audio” is set to

Seems like optical output has to be down sampled due to bandwidth limitation? Unsure if that's always true in the case of a 2 channel implementation.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember years ago, optical was capped and could t handle hi-red audio. I can’t remember the limit, but I think it couldn’t do 24/192. And now it can.
It depends on the transmitter and receiver devices, the cable characteristics and its length, the number of channels and the transmission protocol (SPDIF, ADAT).
May I ask, that’s great for the input on a DAC, but what about output on say a Blu-ray Disc player, or a DAP? Can they (and do they regularly) output up to 24/192 over optical?
I fear you have to read the specs of each (sender and receiver).

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Depends
The Toslink standard says 2 channel 24 bit 96 kHz PCM audio is the max.
Modern hardware often performs much better. Depending on both sender and receiver 192 might simply work.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to have a few dozen albums on my computer music streamer in 24/176 and 24/192 format. I've used that setup with USB, coax, and optical connections over the years, with three different optical cables of widely varying quality based on what they looked like and the physical condition they were in, and I never had a problem. Granted I was only doing a 3-6 foot run.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Officially 24/96 is the max throughput supported. Lots of combinations of transmitter, receiver work flawlessly at 24/192. Personally I've never had any issues over the last decade or so with lots of different bits of kit.

Given there's no benefit between 24/96 and 24/192 Toslink is fine.

Jukka

I've used 24/192 optical on devices that were specced for only 24/96. It worked most of the time, but sometimes the receiver could not sync to the signal and garbled noise came out.

Top Bottom