• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Not trying to be arrogant here, but who listens to this?

Multicore

Major Contributor
I listened to the podcast last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I'm glad you lied it. Thanks for the feedback.

I smiled at the mention of Stockhausen, laboriously assembling his early electronic pieces. I have (another) dusty cassette of a presentation that he gave at the Barbican, London in 1985 where he describes the process: cutting and gluing bits of tape! Things have moved on a bit, as you point out! I quite like those early electronic pieces, they're successful in their own way, and I warmed to Stockhausen hearing him talk about it.
There's no question that Stockhausen was hard working and dedicated to his art.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
There's no question that Stockhausen was hard working and dedicated to his art.
And produced some rewarding results.

From https://www.stereophile.com/content/2015-records-die-page-6:

"How to describe Stimmung? Composed in 1968, it comprises 51 "models" for six unaccompanied voices. The models range in length from 38 seconds to 5 minutes, but I experience them as 78 minutes of almost unbroken immersion, surrounded by conversations in varying intonations and meters. Gradually, I am subsumed enough to feel the urge to join in. Of course, a relaxed mood, aided in any way you choose, will help you to connect with what seems superficially to be early minimalism, but a listener in the right frame of mind will be very much inside the music. Mesmerizing. (KR)"

Multicore

Major Contributor
And produced some rewarding results.

From https://www.stereophile.com/content/2015-records-die-page-6:

"How to describe Stimmung? Composed in 1968, it comprises 51 "models" for six unaccompanied voices. The models range in length from 38 seconds to 5 minutes, but I experience them as 78 minutes of almost unbroken immersion, surrounded by conversations in varying intonations and meters. Gradually, I am subsumed enough to feel the urge to join in. Of course, a relaxed mood, aided in any way you choose, will help you to connect with what seems superficially to be early minimalism, but a listener in the right frame of mind will be very much inside the music. Mesmerizing. (KR)"
I like Stimmung a lot. I have CDs of three different versions, the original, the Gregory Rose and this one in the review. I get why some Stockhausen afficionados don't take it so seriously as it sure does have a kinda hippy/ambient/minimalist quality to it. The first time I heard it was a live broadcast from one of the late night Proms.

And there's a lot of Stockhausen's music that I like a lot. Some of it, like Mantra, is among my favorites. But he's also written catastrophically bad music and some of his works are an embarrassment to the music world and especially to the institutions that supported them, as we discussed above in this thread.

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ligeti is being divisive on Twitter again

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You got to be kidding me ? :facepalm:
Technically, the singing is astonishing. And the piece makes fun of itself (did you see the conductor step away and complain?). But I’m not sure I would go see it.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Perhaps deserves a sarcasm tag.
If nothing else, she does have great legs, and looks good in the short "schoolgirl" skirt. :p

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Technically, the singing is astonishing. And the piece makes fun of itself (did you see the conductor step away and complain?). But I’m not sure I would go see it.
I definitely would. Must be a great experience. For myself I found out that I enjoy such kind of music when played live.

WillBrink

Topic for attention
:slight_smile:

One of the main reasons I got into Roon was music discovery. Both genres I listen to already, but also new genres/artists. I fell over this music (on the radio but still) one day, and I’m presumable just not smart or sophisticated enough to understand the music. It sounds like some random guy sitting down just hammering aimless away on the piano
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:
:slight_smile:

Are any of you listening to this kind of music (what (sub)genre is it?), and what exactly are you enjoying in the music? I’m serious and don’t want to put anyone down, I’m just very curious, as I don’t understand it and want to learn how and why other people listen to this kind of music.

Thanks!

Direct link to YouTube video

My father, who founded the Boston Classical Orchestra etc, hated modern classical. Why is classical music all but dead? Garbage like that. But, such things can be said about modern jazz, rap, country, etc. I can't believe what some listen to as music. Even among those modern genres, I occasionally hear something I like. Can't say I have heard any modern classical I liked, but have not looked much either.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My father, who founded the Boston Classical Orchestra etc, hated modern classical. Why is classical music all but dead? Garbage like that. But, such things can be said about modern jazz, rap, country, etc. I can't believe what some listen to as music. Even among those modern genres, I occasionally hear something I like. Can't say I have heard any modern classical I liked, but have not looked much either.
You could try modern of a very different sort

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
There’s a lot else
She's got one hell of a voice.
It would be much better utilized singing The Great Gig In The Sky for Pink Floyd-David Gilmour. :p

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Try Arvo Pärt.

Top Bottom