• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Weiss 501 DAC !

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Neither heard and before you ask or measured.
( moderated)
Keith.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Too rich for my blood, but an interesting feature set. I'd go for a bit more EQ, personally. Give me full-featured graphic and parametric EQs I can control from my computer and a half dozen or so banks to save presets to on the device itself, bring it in for under a grand, and I'd be very interested. :) I know this sounds like a lot of processing power for that money, but if you've ever experienced the power of a good digital modeling guitar amplifier, that grand actually starts to look expensive.

Tim

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Too rich for my blood, but an interesting feature set. I'd go for a bit more EQ, personally. Give me full-featured graphic and parametric EQs I can control from my computer and a half dozen or so banks to save presets to on the device itself, bring it in for under a grand, and I'd be very interested. :) I know this sounds like a lot of processing power for that money, but if you've ever experienced the power of a good digital modeling guitar amplifier, that grand actually starts to look expensive.

Tim
Quite agree, Daniel promised EQ for the MAN 301 years ago, never materialised , that's why I favour another Swiss manufacturer's products , they are sadly more than a grand though.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
None really but if you don't use a computer as source you can still apply a bit of DSP, a lot of customers still prefer to use a disc player as source, and traditional manufacturers and dealers would surely you prefer you buy a disc player because there is no profit in a computer!
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Illusonic Thomas Illusonic ,does everything pre,DAC,ADC phono, fixes your room ,multi channel if you want, tone controls if you want to play ,everything, apart from power amps!
Keith.

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Quite agree, Daniel promised EQ for the MAN 301 years ago, never materialised , that's why I favour another Swiss manufacturer's products , they are sadly more than a grand though.
Keith

It is sad, and unnecessary. While I understand the market for a powerful DAC/pre with robust DSP is smaller than that for modeling amps, the digital processing power in a $350 Fender Mustang III is so far beyond this, or even much more robust audiophile DSP product, you've got to wonder about the prices. But if there's a market for this stuff, it will come down in time.

Tim

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Illusonic Thomas Illusonic ,does everything pre,DAC,ADC phono, fixes your room ,multi channel if you want, tone controls if you want to play ,everything, apart from power amps!
Keith.
Yes but the hardware is unnecessary, as is the whole 'send the info to a guru' . Your paying through the nose for stuff that will be doable in software automatically in 5 years or less. When I buy one second hand is mr guru going to do my room EQ too? I think not, so the sell on value is comprised.

It's a yesterday product for me, the USP basically is its all in one box and you get to feel special with the personal attention.

Like I said, you pay through the nose for that.. It seems like a over priced AVR to me, I would not think it would catch on..

The guy shoud ditch the hardware and make his name selling software algorithms that do it all on a external server/pc or whatever. Cheaper and much more scalable as a business imo..

I can see why you like it, ten years ago I think it would of been a revolution.. Now not so much.

Just my opinion mind you.. Worthless in the scheme of things.. ( me that is :D)

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
A DAC with a button to make digital music recordings sound like an analog vinyl!
Why they don't simply build turntables?

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
A DAC with a button to make digital music recordings sound like an analog vinyl!
Why they don't simply build turntables?
I like that idea. Let's take the things which sound good from vinyl and not the stuff we don't like.

Acourate Convolver has "Acourate Flow." This a frequency dependent crosstalk DSP. The idea is to emulate the cartridge crosstalk. I don't use it but I've heard it and I like it. I could see how some folks would want to introduce some crosstalk. It makes the image wider.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
A vinyl emulator DSP, And they're bringing back the ole "loudness" button from the 70s receivers too. Plus a loudness normalizer circuit to make sure all your DR5 sources are at the exact same "all loud all the time" level. How cool. LOL
In today's market, with all these bells and whistles I am surprised it doesn't do quad DSD, that's all the rage with that crowd today?
I have to be honest, I just don't get it. To me the marketing director team seems a bit confused.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
₤6K is approx 7763.40 US Dollar ... better be good and do vinyl emulation and cartridge crosstalk right.

| The DAC501 is our new state of the art D/A Signal Processing. The DSP algorithms can be different depending on which output is selected (line Converter with an unprecedented level of or headphone). Some DSP algorithms have to work differently if they are used for sophistication and versatily. headphones in comparison to speakers. With the DAC501 we are creating a new paradigm for what used to be a black box • Creative Equalizer - A tone control with low boost/cut, high boost/cut and mid device. A typical D/A Converter is a "set and forget" device. Not so with the boost/cut. Very useful to correct those recordings which do not quite DAC501. It adds a number of interesting signal processing features and sports a fit your taste. variety of digital inputs. Balanced, unbalanced and headphone outputs are • De-Essing - The automatic removal of overly bright sibilances from human provided. voices. The sibilance effect can be more or less pronounced depending on your speakers or room acoustics. Weiss Engineering has a 30 year history in D/A Converter design. In that time span • Constant Volume - Adjusts the audio volume (loudness) to a constant value we have learned a thing or two about converter design. The DAC501 is the essence across all tracks played. Useful for "party mode" when the volume of our experiences. control should stay untouched. • Vinyl Emulation - Get that special sonic character of a record player based A short overview of the DAC501's features. playback chain. • Crosstalk Cancelling (XTC) - For the playback of dummy head recordings or Inputs live recordings via speakers for an incredible live sensation. (For • AES/EBU or S/PDIF via XLR, Toslink and RCA speaker based playback only.) • UPnP / DLNA (via Ethernet) • Out Of Head Localization algorithm - Tries to get the music "out of your head" • USB when listening via headphones. The goal is to achieve a similar • Accepted formats: PCM 44.1kHz up to 384 kHz, DSD 64x / 128x listening sensation as one gets when listening via speakers. (For headphone based playback only.) Outputs Controls • Line out unbalanced on RCA connector The DAC501 is operated via the rotary encoder control on the faceplate, the touch • Line out balanced on XLR connector sensitive colour LCD display or the IR remote control. Some additional settings • Headphone out on 1/4" Jack can be done via a web interface from any computer. Analogue Mechanics • One of the latest 32 bit D/A Converter chips is used The DAC501 has a similar size as our DAC202 unit. The DAC502 version is a larger • Discrete output stages for both line and headphone outputs size unit, similar to our MAN301 unit. The features of the DAC502 are the same as the ones of the DAC501. • Future formats can be accommodated for via software updates. |
_________

It reads live an avalanche in the Swiss Alps.

Last edited:

Mivera

Major Contributor

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Sounds a lot like some of the technology I was talking about here:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?19363-Great-article-on-quot-Analogue-Warmth-quot/page7

That had everyone's panties in a bunch.

"All of the characteristics analogue buff's love about analogue, can be emulated with high resolution DSP. But the best part is, it can be disabled with a push of a button when the studio did their job well. Much easier and cheaper than changing out hardware for each album"

Bugger Mike, you can't have a prize as we already gave away the weekly ASR mug, guess you will have to make do with being extra pleased with yourself :D

Top Bottom