• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL A300 BTL Class-d Power Amp

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
that sounds odd

i'm in australia and it would cost me $400 aud or exactly $260 usd shipped here, no tax. no additional fees... hifiexpress

whats going on in the sociaist republic of canada?

also seems like a hot item given its OOS everywhere

Dwayne1963

that sounds odd

i'm in australia and it would cost me $400 aud or exactly $260 usd shipped here, no tax. no additional fees... hifiexpress

whats going on in the sociaist republic of canada?

also seems like a hot item given its OOS everywhere
I'm quoting off of the Canadian Amazon site (Amazon.ca). On Amazon.com, it shows as $350 Cdn + import and shipping fees, ringing in around $445. I haven't checked "Hifiexpress", but I'm loathe to do business with them again (bought the SMSL M300 Mk2 from them less than a year ago; the USB connection broke off and is rattling around inside the unit -- no reply to my request for support, despite being within the one-year warranty window).

(EDIT: HifiExpress now shows the AL200 as being sold out from all locations except France...)

Last edited:

newaudioguy

The Fosi Audio V3 doesn't have a sub-out and requires external power supply. Personally, I don't care about needing to buy a beefy power cable for the V3 but it def is added cost.

Any information on Fosi V3 2.0 ? EDIT: im dumb i see you mean 2.0 as in 2 channel without the .1 subout lol, sorry

Last edited:

newaudioguy

Does anyone know the bit rate and range of the a300 plugged in via USB?

Trying to compare specs to the sabaj a30a, "The second-generation XMOS 8-core processor XU208 supports PCM sampling rate up to 32bit/768kHz and DSD up to native DSD512 during USB input."

I don't have an external DAC so I'm using the A300 plugged in my computer and I only see 16bit DVD quality. Is there a sound difference between these two units using built-in USB dacs?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the type a to type a is a non standard non conforming digital in that routes to the BT chipset so its 16/48 only

i have never used mine

its some strange smsl thing i dont understand why they persist with but my feeling is that this is the last we will see of it

Roland68

Major Contributor
Does anyone know the bit rate and range of the a300 plugged in via USB?

Trying to compare specs to the sabaj a30a, "The second-generation XMOS 8-core processor XU208 supports PCM sampling rate up to 32bit/768kHz and DSD up to native DSD512 during USB input."

I don't have an external DAC so I'm using the A300 plugged in my computer and I only see 16bit DVD quality. Is there a sound difference between these two units using built-in USB dacs?
There you will find information about which chip is probably used, for USB and BT.

Hollywood_Bob

Ahh, but the AL200 doesn't have a subwoofer out... and it's currently pretty darn pricey in Canada ($445.64 + $108.88 shipping & import fees from USA + $12.24 delivery, yikes!)
SMSL A0200 MKii

tvilot

Hello All,
I just received an A300 and cannot for the life of me figure out how to use bluetooth on iphone/macbook. There is no pairing options and the amplifier doesn't show in the devices list. Faulty unit or am I missing something? Any help appreciated before I send it back!

neuron

Hello All,
I just received an A300 and cannot for the life of me figure out how to use bluetooth on iphone/macbook. There is no pairing options and the amplifier doesn't show in the devices list. Faulty unit or am I missing something? Any help appreciated before I send it back!
Did you change the input to Bluetooth? It shows up as bt on the screen.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then it’s most likely a bad Bluetooth module in the amp. I switch mine to Bluetooth input and it shows up instantly on my iOS and macOS devices.
It could be the antenna wire is disconnected internally.

tvilot

Thank you for this, it looks like you guys can confirm this works on iOS, I had some doubts after this faulty unit. I've returned it and wondering if I should try my luck with another unit.

saberger0357

ampguy

Anybody have an opinion to this question I asked last year?
I believe you would see the same power Amir measured, which is 400w @ 4 ohm w 1% THD, you would just need 2 volumes to deal with or need a preamp. I believe the freq resp based on load favors 4 ohm speakers which correlates w a PEQ I often dial in on better measuring systems. Many class d amps have that similar load dependency on fr behavior, it just seems to kick in lower than other amps, which means speaker matching is more important. Iwii and other reviewers subjectively have preferred this amp over better measuring amps. A lot of us use KEFs, just fyi

saberger0357

I believe you would see the same power Amir measured, which is 400w @ 4 ohm w 1% THD, you would just need 2 volumes to deal with or need a preamp. I believe the freq resp based on load favors 4 ohm speakers which correlates w a PEQ I often dial in on better measuring systems. Many class d amps have that similar load dependency on fr behavior, it just seems to kick in lower than other amps, which means speaker matching is more important. Iwii and other reviewers subjectively have preferred this amp over better measuring amps. A lot of us use KEFs, just fyi
Thanks.

I’ve been using them as mono blocks since last year with mostly 8 ohm Allison One’s, and 6 ohm Polk RTA 12’s. Since the amps are bridged this halves the ohms the amps see anyway. Plenty of clean power with either speaker but don’t want to short change the amps potential. I use them with a preamp so don’t use their remote to set volume. I prefer the non “main slave” way because having separate amp gain provides better control over room caused imbalance.

Top Bottom