• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann speaker choice home studio

Lunoji

Hi there,

Yesterday I've ordered a new pair of KH-120 II's with MA1 mic included for a total of 1639,-eu. but today I came across a 2nd hand KH-150 pair (without MA1) for a total of 2000,- eu. The KH-150 pair is in new like condition with 1 year of warranty left which to me sounds like a great deal.

I really cannot decide if it's worth it to return the 120's with (3 years of warranty) once they arrive and go for the seccond hand 150's or to just stick with the 120's. I won't really need the SPL at this moment, but the bass extension might be nice thing to have since i'll be using either speakers without a Sub in the beginning.

At this moment my room is not really big and i'm sitting about 1m - 1,3m off the speakers.
Since i'm studying audio i'll be using them alot for mixing (mainly indie to metal) and there is a big chance that I'll shift to a place with a bigger room in the future.

I'd very like to hear your opinions.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Unless you really need the extra volume, I would stick with a brand new pair you have coming. Really very little difference anyway, although the 150 can reach a bit lower, but still. At that distance I wouldn't imagine you will be listening to the 120's at maximum, not unless you like punishing your ears.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
In addition to the slightly higher SPL, you also get a bit more low end, which might be nice if you're not planning on using a subwoofer:

1712580880572.png

1712580920698.png

Ze Frog

In addition to the slightly higher SPL, you also get a bit more low end, which might be nice if you're not planning on using a subwoofer:

View attachment 362249

View attachment 362250
Thing is though, what would you rather, the 4-5Hz lower and secondhand, or brand new in box with a $400 saving that could buy a subwoofer and have the whole warrant... for me I'd go with new myself.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The KH120 II is a whopping 0.1 dB more linear though and extends 500 Hz higher if you have young children or bats at home. :p

Seriously what surprised me when the KH120 II measurements came out how close it is even in SPL to the KH150 which is already great for its size:

37709-en-maximum-spl-at-1-m.svg

29637-en-maximum_spl_at_1_m.svg

OP
L

Lunoji

Thing is though, what would you rather, the 4-5Hz lower and secondhand, or brand new in box with a $400 saving that could buy a subwoofer and have the whole warrant... for me I'd go with new myself.
Actually I'd have to buy the MA1 aswel if I choose for the KH150's

Ze Frog

Actually I'd have to buy the MA1 aswel if I choose for the KH150's
By the time you buy that on top you aren't too far off buying a matching Neumann subwoofer compared to the outlay for the 150's and the MA1.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Civilis

where did you find the Kh120ii including ma-1 for 1639 euro? Sounds like a good price

OP
L

Lunoji

Today I received the KH-120 IIs and after listening for a while I decided to keep them. It's incredible how clear and deep sound they produce for their size. It feels like a whole new dimension that I haven't heard before. I'm very curious to see how they sound after the MA1 Alignment.

These monitors are definitely recommended!

I would like to thank everyone for their advice.

Regards,
Lunoji

Norcal

Today I received the KH-120 IIs and after listening for a while I decided to keep them. It's incredible how clear and deep sound they produce for their size. It feels like a whole new dimension that I haven't heard before. I'm very curious to see how they sound after the MA1 Alignment.

These monitors are definitely recommended!

I would like to thank everyone for their advice.

Regards,
Lunoji
thank you for following up with the group and closing the loop so to speak. Not all new posters do that...

Top Bottom