• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MIT Researchers develop a paper-thin loudspeaker

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Interesting read and Video demonstration. Applications are endless.

Quote: “The flexible, thin-film device has the potential to make any surface into a low-power, high-quality audio source.”

Article:

Video:

Discuss!

OP
AdamG

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I’m thinking designer Wallpaper can become your music room with high WAF. Maybe you will still need subs, but the concept and application are intriguing. Sound emanating from around the room. Assuming some method to room correct/eq. Boggles the imagination.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m think designer Wallpaper can become your music room with high WAF. Maybe you will still need subs, but the concept and application are intriguing. Sound emanating from around the room. Assuming some method to room correct/eq. Boggles the imagination.
Like 20 channel surround sound or more channels even if the processor can keep up. That would be ace.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone remember NXT speakers? I remember they are flat, but not exactly how they worked. I think they came up in the mid 90ies.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It should be useful in a phone where size/volume is the most important thing.

Otherwise "we'll see" how it works in the real world and the real market. There are lots of "unusual and exotic" designs, and flat-panel designs, and still a voice coil and cone (or diaphragm) seems to work-out best in most situations.

It also says "low power".

I usually only get excited when something is better AND cheaper! :D

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bedsheets!!! Slip between them for a total immersive sound! I'm in. :cool:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Does anyone remember NXT speakers? I remember they are flat, but not exactly how they worked. I think they came up in the mid 90ies.
I've even got some cheap ones. They used exciters and sometimes masses on a panel to set up bending resonances - the secret sauce was in optimising the panel and the exciter positioning to get a reasonably flat response using computational methods rather than the rule of thumb or trial and error approach you'll find people on youtube channels taking today. The current BMR speakers from Tectonic and the like are a derivative combining pistonic motion at low frequency and bending modes at high frequency with varying degrees of success.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
PVDF film speakers have been around for a long time. The innovation here is the texturing. I'm skeptical that this will end up being a commercial big deal, but to be fair, I thought that when it started, Twitter was a dumb idea. OK, maybe it was, but it was a big money dumb idea.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Samsung S7+ tablet, despite the fact that they added 4 speakers, the sound is a bit low volume and of course very thin, no bass to speak off.

At least the volume could be higher if the tablet cover was made of this material.

rgpit

Forum Donor
I can see this technology used as a direct digital loudspeaker by addressing each tiny xducer individually like is done with an LCD display. With a covered wall you might even be able to get some bass.

Top Bottom