• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 2.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 118 20.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 440 76.0%

• Total voters

MCH

Major Contributor
Flex Eight: 2x ESS ES9080Q
o_O how could i have missed it, now i have a benchmark for my diy project. They bested the datasheet SINAD by 1 dB, damm it! i need a teardown asap

btw, once they use 2x they could have made it balanced...

Does it make sense to use this for a Hi-Res streaming solution, because its bandwidth is limited to an Internal sample rate of 96kHz, whereas a Topping E50 like unit is capable of sample rates like 44.1 KHz- 768 KHz? Any idea about this limitation?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does it make sense to use this for a Hi-Res streaming solution, because its bandwidth is limited to an Internal sample rate of 96kHz, whereas a Topping E50 like unit is capable of sample rates like 44.1 KHz- 768 KHz? Any idea about this limitation?
Higher sampling rates than on CD (44.1kHz) are great in the studio, if you want to mix instruments to a track and make sure artifacts are beyond hearing. At home, as a consumer, it makes no difference. They probably have chosen 96kHz because the DSP is powerful enough to do it. Once you install Dirac, it drops to 48kHz, likely because Dirac needs more computing power. Higher incoming sampling rates get downsampled.

This is a high level overview about how 44.1kHz and 48kHz came to be:

And this is why, for consumption of audio, we don't need more:

As for buying or streaming songs that have far more than 44.1kHz or 48kHz, it's just a higher number and higher numbers are better for sales, but there is no benefit in terms of fidelity.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Higher sampling rates than on CD (44.1kHz) are great in the studio, if you want to mix instruments to a track and make sure artifacts are beyond hearing. At home, as a consumer, it makes no difference. They probably have chosen 96kHz because the DSP is powerful enough to do it. Once you install Dirac, it drops to 48kHz, likely because Dirac needs more computing power. Higher incoming sampling rates get downsampled.

This is a high level overview about how 44.1kHz and 48kHz came to be:

As for buying or streaming songs that have far more than 44.1kHz or 48kHz, it's just a higher number and higher numbers are better for sales, but there is no benefit in terms of fidelity.

That's very simple to confirm ... Take a 192 khz recording and make 96khz and 44.1 versions.
Then hear it with an abx software and decent phones / phone amplifier.

If 192 is really better, you'll identify that track more than 7 of 10 times.

Done.

(I failed with total success :) )

MCH

Major Contributor
The way I understand it (that could be wrong, I am no expert), what it tells you is the minimum you need, does not tell anything about if or why you need more or not.
(It is not that I think that more is better, but just to clarify)
edit: well yes, from the encoding point of view it also tells you that it is enough.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
There is an interesting article somewhere, wherein Mark Waldrep , AIX records and a huge proponent of ‘hi-res’ conducted some unsighted tests of his own material and he could not detect any difference in sound quality.
If it’s any consolation many years ago when I bought my first hi-res reference recording I expected ( because I was technically ignorant) that there would be greater resolution, sadly not!
Of course the actual quality of the recording/mastering plays a huge part.
Keith

Last edited:

mike70

The way I understand it (that could be wrong, I am no expert), what it tells you is the minimum you need, does not tell anything about if or why you need more or not.
(It is not that I think that more is better, but just to clarify)

But ... If that minimum reconstructs the original signal, then, using more ... what it will achieve? more signal? It doesn't work in that way.
It's only inaudible information.

(Or other scam to take your money)

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
- [All Models] Noise performance improvement on filter response for IIR filters
- [All Models] Volume control moved before ASRC in DSP chain to help against potential distortion caused by intersample peaks

Finally :)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is an interesting article somewhere, wherein Mark Waldrep , AIX records and a huge proponent of ‘hi-res’ conducted some unsighted tests of his own material and he could detect any difference in sound quality.
If it’s any consolation many years ago when I bought my first hi-res reference recording I expected ( because I was technically ignorant) that there would be greater resolution, sadly not!
Of course the actual quality of the recording/mastering plays a huge part.
Keith
Does this need an edit?

esl 63

Want to see distortion measurements when MiniDSP flex is running some processing, phase correction, EQ. What is the difference with the current bypass measurement? Is there a difference?
When will MiniDSP FLEX Eight be tested?
And is SHD a better performer than FLEX Eight? During processing.... SHD measures better than flex in the multitone testing even though it is much older.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

mike70

- [All Models] Noise performance improvement on filter response for IIR filters
- [All Models] Volume control moved before ASRC in DSP chain to help against potential distortion caused by intersample peaks

Finally :)

who's the first brave to make the upgrade? :)

AaronJ

After having lived with the Flex for some time I am pretty much convinced it is the biggest bargain in all of hifi, my most important component, and I don’t even use any of the digital inputs. I have it in the pre-out/main-in loop of a Sansui AU-5500, Sansui volume pot at 12 o’clock to prevent the Flex from clipping its analog input, an inexpensive volume pot between the Flex and main-in to protect the amp and speakers in case something goes haywire. And I use the Flex as the volume control. The 2.2 system is integrated perfectly and I have never been happier. I’d recommend it highly even at 5x the price.

Robocop

I updated my minidsp flex balanced and all works great out of the box. It is slightly faster moving between Preset settings and connecting to PC console. No PEQ settings were changed or Presets in this process. It is two separate update processes which I conducted one after the other. The flex was rebooted twice in this process. I did turn off all amplifiers down stream before the update.

I thoroughly recommend updating your minidsp devices.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll wait a month to see what happens in the forums. :p

Robocop

I guess ant you will need Amir to put this on the test bench before trying. Bearing in mind we will not make a call on what it sounds like if anything like this makes a difference.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I updated my minidsp flex balanced and all works great out of the box. It is slightly faster moving between Preset settings and connecting to PC console. No PEQ settings were changed or Presets in this process. It is two separate update processes which I conducted one after the other. The flex was rebooted twice in this process. I did turn off all amplifiers down stream before the update.

I thoroughly recommend updating your minidsp devices.
No issue on my side either. Two separate updates for XMOS and DSP. And Flex volume level affects the headroom level before ASRC as announced, no more intersample peak clipping if the volume is properly attenuated.