• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Depending on speaker design and placement you may still have reflections from a rear wall but I agree that generally, near-field is a less complicated case.
Correct, it also depends on room size/dimensions.
Part of the reason for live-end, dead-end room design of the day.. LOL

ferrellms

That is not necessarily true for very nearfield monitors that are designed with a narrow dispersion pattern. At one meter, such monitors have direct sound levels that are substantially directly from the monitors themselves. The room plays a much smaller role. For farfield and midfield speakers the issue is quite different than for very nearfield, narrow dispersion monitors..
Nevertheless, these small monitors will be omnidirectional up into the low midrange and in the bass, and depending how far you are from them this omnidirectional sound will color what you hear, as it ends up in the room. For best sound, you need acoustic treatment around the speakers or cardioid speakers.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is not necessarily true for very nearfield monitors that are designed with a narrow dispersion pattern.
AFAIK almost all nearfield monitors have a wider dispersion than their midfield or farfield brethren. Otherwise the listener would be forced to keep his head fixed in the narrow sweet spot.

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
AFAIK almost all nearfield monitors have a wider dispersion than their midfield or farfield brethren. Otherwise the listener would be forced to keep his head fixed in the narrow sweet spot.
Not Neuman monitors - especially the KH 150's and KH 120 II's. They have narrow dispersion patterns. That is one of the factors in Neumann's emphasis on nearfield.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not Neuman monitors - especially the KH 150's and KH 120 II's. They have narrow dispersion patterns. That is one of the factors in Neumann's emphasis on nearfield.
KH80, 120 II and 150 have 100° while KH310 and the 420 have 110° - agreed. But there is a world besides Neumann. Genelec for example: the smaller 8010a, 8320a, 8330a and 8341a have 120°, the bigger 8050b, 8351b, 8361a and S360 have 100°.
Or JBL: 705p has 120°, 708p and 4349 have 100°.

Last edited:

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
KH80, 120 II and 150 have 100° while KH310 and the 420 have 110° - agreed. But there is a world besides Neumann. Genelec for example: the smaller 8010a, 8320a, 8330a and 8341a have 120°, the bigger 8050b, 8351b, 8361a and S360 have 100°.
Or JBL: 705p has 120°, 708p and 4349 have 100°.
KH 150 - narrow dispersion of 50 deg or less.
1708052601801.png

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Uh ... excuse me, but am I missing something? Isn't plus or minus fifty degrees referenced to a design axis a total spread of 100 degrees?

Jim
Your math is correct. Amir’s standard is to quote the +/- figure ie 50 degrees. The use of 100 degrees without explanation is therefore confusing, at least on ASR.

Newman

Major Contributor
Perhaps the omission of the "+/-" is even more confusing. I have never seen a beamwidth described as 50 degrees, for a 100 degree wide beam. OTOH it is routine to see horns referred to as 90x60 degrees etc.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Quoted post removed by Moderator.

Come on - you've overstepped. Please just stop.

Language matters:

Last edited by a moderator:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Clean up on aisle four!
Clean up accomplished. A few things were said that we are going to pretend were not said (typed). We are going to put that behind us and carry on like this argument never happened. Please carry on but do so with out the overly foul language. I feel like I’m back in the Navy. When’s Chow? :p

DonR

Major Contributor
Golden eared... you say it like our ears are disgraceful lol.

Going by ear is hardly a foolish thing when its our own unique physiology that hears the audio. If the measurement tools hear beyond our hearing, then we don't need them anyway.

Our physiology (head shape/ear shape/ear canal/face even) all end up forming audio slightly differently.

As if a microphone can replace our ears anyway. All that beep bop stuff, please.
"slightly" being the operative word.

Recording microphones are usually more sensitive and certainly more flat in response than any human ear but we each have our own unique response curve so what is recorded is certainly not what any individual actually is hearing but this has nothing to do with sound reproduction equipment.

Not sure what you mean by "All that beep bop stuff."

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
that post got sent to the cornfield

Returning troll.

He clearly feels what he has to tell us is very important.

Already tried to register again.

Newman

Major Contributor
Keep up the good work BD

Keith_W

Major Contributor
From what I could read of his post, he is right - and Toole would agree with him. He is describing the HRTF and "an omnidirectional microphone does not hear the same as two ears and a brain". However he is also implying that a microphone is not needed which is not true - what is needed is intelligent and nuanced use of a microphone. I don't know about his other posts, so i'll defer to the mods on this one.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No but, OP's slander on ears is ridiculous. He clearly sounds like he wants to rip his own ears off and install those contraptions in his avatar for the sake of science! Amir's favourite notion of all time. This forum wants to be a robot so bad, it would rather listen to music through an oscilloscope than its own ears.

Audio is hitting a metal enclosure and fabrics (in recording), and other materials clearly not like cartilage of an ear, so the audio captured is clearly not like what we would hear in total perfection. Oh... software correction... hmmm... right... because that knows how to counter how the audio should of been exactly for an ear, and for each of our own unique ear! Well... Yeah... So OP, I hope you do have golden ears.
Well that's a response I don't think we have seen the likes of in 3000 plus posts.

Top Bottom