• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Merrill Skolnik R.I.P.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I missed that Merrill Skolnik passed away. Not audio-related, but a giant in the RADAR world. Back in the early 1990's I was presenting on a research contract I had with NRL and he sat in. I wasn't sure who he was until one of the program managers said "He wrote the book!" when we clarifying a few things. I don't recall that he said much, but did come up to talk afterwards. He was a great guy and very sharp despite being a self-described "bureaucrat". I still have his book on my shelf at home.

teched58

I missed that Merrill Skolnik passed away. Not audio-related, but a giant in the RADAR world. Back in the early 1990's I was presenting on a research contract I had with NRL and he sat in. I wasn't sure who he was until one of the program managers said "He wrote the book!" when we clarifying a few things. I don't recall that he said much, but did come up to talk afterwards. He was a great guy and very sharp despite being a self-described "bureaucrat". I still have his book on my shelf at home.

He definitely did write the book. I remember reading The Radar Handbook when I started work in the late '70s.

EDIT: "Reading" is perhaps not quite the correct word. Attempted to ingest a little bit of the firehose of encyclopedic information contained therein might be more on point.

OP
DonH56

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
My first job (and a few since) was developing ICs for radar systems. Really neat stuff, but I usually had my head buried in the transistors and such, rarely had a chance to play at a higher level. Did read the book and even understood most of it at one point...

Top Bottom