• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matching speakers with Kenwood A-91

dennis.george

Hi everyone,

As a newbie to the audio world i stumbled across a full M-91 Kenwood Deck and my challenge is to pair some good speakers to them.

Currently the only information that i have found regarding the A-91 amplifier that is contained in the deck are from a polish website (on which you can directly click translate)

The website states the following specs:
RMS = 2x 65W for 8 Ohm impedance speakers
Dynamic Power = 2x 80W for 8 impedance speakers
Impedance= 4-16 Ohms (there is a switch that can let me select 2 ranges of values)

Should i start my speaker search based on this specs? I am unsure about the information found online and if they are right to start my research on and i would like your opinion on this matter.

And since I did not use the deck with a good pair of speakers i would like to understand if I am dealing with a good deck/set here.

Thank you in advance! D.

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
While I hope that you have meanwhile found a suitable set of speakers, I am surprised that this thread (which turned up in the suggested ones) has not received any replies.

Assuming no major technical issues (it might need a new protection relay), the Kenwood 91 system should make a decent entry-level hi-fi much like it did 32 years ago.

The most interesting specs are the 65 W / 8 ohm power rating (which is fairly standard) and the 100 dB line SNR.

Choosing a speaker depends on your use:

In nearfield (desktop) use, you may want to go as low as 82-83 dB SPL / 2.83 V / m sensitivity, otherwise hiss may become a tad bothersome. These speakers are likely to be on the smaller side, like 4-5".

If, by contrast, you're more the party type, a speaker rated 92 dB (and I mean for real, not Klipsch) would unleash up to 110 dB SPL @ 1 m. You may be looking at a 10" (or two 8") or 12" woofer at this point.

For typical hi-fi use at 1.5-3 m, you'll probably want to be looking at something in the (common) 85-88 dB sensitivity range.

For speakers known to dip substantially below 5-6 ohms in impedance, I would choose the lower-impedance switch position. Anything that says above that, choose the higher-impedance one. Be wary of "4-8 ohm" or "8 ohm compatible" ratings and look up an actual impedance plot if in doubt.

Top Bottom