• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

managing subwoofer and main speaker cut-off? how you would like it done???

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i dont know where to put this except here

i generally am not a huge fan off 2.1 systems but realise that this is likely going to be popular but its clear that its not managed correctly by companies, nor is it well documented, nor is it well understood by the consumer

now let me refer to you a device that does this quite well IMO... not the best but better than most

the Arylic B50/BP50 is a well known pile of shit as seen here

when it was reviewed it had an excreble system where you could set the sub in 50hz increments

so 50-100-150-200 up to 300 i think

everyone hated this - but it did work as documented

so if you set it to 100 it sent <100hz to your sub and and > 100hz to your mains

people complained to arylic and to their credit they went overboard and now it does something like 50 - 300hz... in 1hz increments... which is way too much granularity... but they delivered I guess

it seems that manufactuers are just slapping in a sub 50hz filter on their amps and they reckon that's good enough?? is it though? I dont think it is

and that's before you get onto box placement and room acoutics but thats a problem for the likes of minidsp

boxerfan88

Variable crossover frequency selection is an important feature, the filter slope is even more important (>24dB/oct is good), make the slope selectable is even better.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Subwoofer management is MUCH, MUCH more than a simple crossover. And the best place to implement subwoofer management is not on the sub itself. It is ideally implemented upstream of the sub. If you do it this way, then the sub does not need a crossover, phase controls, and the like. All it needs is a volume control.

StigErik

Forum Donor
For me, a proper AV processor was the obvious choice (Anthem AVM70).

Willem

Major Contributor
THe DSPeaker X2 is an affordable DAC with subwoofer management and dsp room equalization.

Basic Channel

I could do it better by putting out dual stereo to both sub and speakers. But I can tune well enough using the LPF on the sub. The sub can hpf at 80hz out to the speakers but I don’t like it for some reason (on both speakers I’ve tried).

I was going to start a similar thread as moving from 2.1 to almost 2 full range speakers gives me some room issues. 80hz is so consistently low on 1 speaker that I felt compelled to check the SPL on both speakers (using my phone).

Unlike previous reflections/nulls I’ve heard, it seems to be relating more to where the speaker is than I am. I can almost have my head at the speaker and it doesn’t get louder.

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
I have had good results using miniDSP products to manage the subwoofer/speaker integration, first with a SHD, then with a HTx when I went all active.

StigErik

Forum Donor
If music was my only use case, I might have swapped my AV processor for a HTx. But I do watch movies, so handling video and various audio codecs is needed.

Top Bottom