• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for speaker and amp advice under $2500 CDN

hifi72

I'm looking to purchase through the Black Friday deals, new speakers and an integrated with $2k-$2500 pre tax as the max budget. I'd welcome some ideas (or pairing recommendations) as I'm looking at everything from Revel M16's, B&W, Monitor Audio Silvers, Klipsch 7's, Focal Theva's to used Aria 906's, etc. I have a small room @160 sqft or so and I am currently running as a stop gap a pair of small PSB T1 towers, a 10" subwoofer and a Harman Kardan AVR110 receiver. Digital source is a rpi3 (picoreplayer) usb to an SMSL SU-8. It's sounds ok with a sub as the bass is minimal with the old T1's on their own in my room, but I'm hoping there could be improvements without breaking the bank on the speaker and amp end. I'm leaning toward the majority of cost going into the speakers.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Are you set on passives + integrated amp?

Consider actives...
Genelec 8040's for CDN$2110/pair (before tax) on amazon.ca.

... or bite the bullet, and go end-game with Genelec 8050's for CDN$3006/pair (before tax) on amazon.ca

But I would personally wait 2 more days until Black Friday, to see what other deals there are.

If going passives...
I would be grabbing the original Kef R3's for CDN$2k/pair, before they discontinue them. Link
You'll have 1k for integrated amp left over.

If you don't like the R3's for some reason, the Revel M16's are CDN$1400/pair, would be my 2nd choice.

I wouldnt consider other options you mentioned.

Note:
6.5" woofer => Genelec 8040, Kef R3, Revel M16
8" woofer => Genelec 8050

Last edited:
Top Bottom