• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ken Fritz - Audiophile Documentary

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Liked the second part of that post. Disagree with the first part though, I'd surely be sad if my obsessions affected my relationship with my (hypothetical) children in that manner/to that degree. And the overall 'balance' seemed ok to me, given that it was for a non-audiophile general audience. A bit of a tragedy though, overall.
I agree, but on the other hand while this guy's obsession was extreme, I don't know if it was all that much of an outlier in that many people's obsessions one way or another effect their familial relationships. I'd say near half of people I know have at least this much of an issue even if the reasons aren't so extreme.

wunderkind

The article served as a reminder to me personally to be vigilant with passion hobbies from becoming obsessions. Especially to the detriment of what matters most ie. Family.
I want to avoid judging Mr. Fritz's life choices. He lived with whatever outcomes his choices and actions led. The final photo in WaPo depicted him alone on a stool backdropped by the massive speakers. I wonder what was his thoughts as he sat there.

1705185464121.png

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Several years ago, I learned about Ken and his system on a local TV news cast.

I then watched the youtube video and was simply awed.

This man, who lived less than 10 miles from me, had built the audio version of the Great Pyramid.

Learning of the estate sale, I made it a point to attend. Though I didn't buy a thing, I did have a wonderful conversation with his daughter Betsy and several of Ken's audio friends who I believe were mentioned in the article. It felt as if I were attending more of a memorial service rather than an auction.

Reading the article in the Post today was very sad. I had no idea about the darker side of his story.

What Ken built was truly amazing, but as is often the case, there is often a high price to pay - literally and figuratively - to build something so truly unique and iconic.

Though saddened by the story today, I really feel fortunate to have seen and in a limited way, hear this once in a lifetime audio system.

Despite his issues with friends and family, may Ken rest in peace.

How good to actually be there—and meet daughter and friends—thank you for the story!

Not to diminish the personal aspect, I would like to have bid for a couple of the many Krells perhaps ... :)

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I agree, but on the other hand while this guy's obsession was extreme, I don't know if it was all that much of an outlier in that many people's obsessions one way or another effect their familial relationships. I'd say near half of people I know have at least this much of an issue even if the reasons aren't so extreme.

That is interesting, I guess I will learn about those things more in time.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm American and I will say that there's nothing special nor newsworthy about this guy, zero. The only thing "special" about him is that he had a successful business to be able to afford to build this system (and not really, since he had to build the extension himself instead of hiring someone, unless he enjoys building that extension) and he made bad financial and time/commitment decision based on an obsession.

The reason how he became a big fuss was because a while back when his daughter knew that he was dying, got him some publicity on his stereo with some YouTuber as a way for him to indulge more into his obsession during his last days and to preserve his "legacy."

On top of that, he build his own speakers and the turntable. I would like to know what science did he employ in doing so. Did he have a NFS to ensure that his speakers are built to good science? Did he have an AP, a vibrometer to ensure that his turntable was indeed sonically excellent. The guy also champion a lot of snake oil non sense like "silver" cables.
Just when I thought I’d seen the most cynical takes, this one comes along.

BobbyTimmons

The article served as a reminder to me personally to be vigilant with passion hobbies from becoming obsessions. Especially to the detriment of what matters most ie. Family.
I want to avoid judging Mr. Fritz's life choices. He lived with whatever outcomes his choices and actions led. The final photo in WaPo depicted him alone on a stool backdropped by the massive speakers. I wonder what was his thoughts as he sat there.

View attachment 341769
Readers without critical thinking skills can be pushed towards any conclusion a skilful writer wants and a skilful photographer can aid them. That's about all these comments are highlighting.

Fritz built his own business, raised and supported 5 children. He fell out with one son, the other children are proud of him. I'm not sure how he could be a posterchild for people who neglect their family. His buildings projects included spending time with his children. He built a swimming pool for his wife. His listening room was converted into a skatepark for one of his sons for many years. You can see how his daughter talks about him. She doesn't sound like a Dickensian orphan.

The original documentary explains that he was away from home a lot because he had to travel around the country for business.

Last edited:

BobbyTimmons

Loudspeakers have more distortion in general. Weigh much more, electromechanics. People tend to have a consensus that hi-fi is low distortion, but acoustics of studio and live recordings naturally sound different.
Low distortion is hardly a saving feature when the end result is nothing like listening to real instruments as their spatial positions are inside your head instead of outside it. For some music it's less of an issue. Instrumental music usually needs speakers to be reproduced in a way which feels realistic. Headphones are great in a pinch, just not a replacement.

Last edited:

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Low distortion is hardly a saving feature when the end result is nothing like listening to real instruments as their spatial positions are inside your head instead of outside it. For some music it's less of an issue. Instrumental music usually needs speakers to be reproduced in a way which feels realistic.
Distortion as a feature to make studio recordings sound live for example, but open-back headphones are also good at so-called soundstage.

raif71

Major Contributor
Thanks for the posted article. As for spending 1M on hifi, I'd say it was his prerogative and the article did say he forgo vacation times. Knowing vacations, the total spending of vacations in his lifetime with the family could come close to 1M if not more, so this in a sense a divergent of spending the money to his hifi. Yes, there are pros and cons to this but hey, who are we to judge...

Descartes

Major Contributor
Why would you spend that much money just for a stereo system unless you are a billionaire?

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
WaPo comments are always pretty bad. Usually very far left or right initial comments, often peppered with rebuttals from the extreme other side. 'Regular' people rarely seem to post comments.

Top Bottom