• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Reference 4C Review (Center Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 79 22.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 257 74.1%

• Total voters

laurelkurt

Forum Donor
$2,999 non-meta, Rosewood. Great prices though.
They're sold out except maybe one single speaker left. I hesitated and now it's too late AFAIK. I'm wondering if any NE US dealers might have any. I'd make the drive if so.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
*sigh* First, and to reiterate, it is not an issue. Our reclining chairs mean we can sit at a comfortable viewing angle with the TV in its current position without cranking our necks up for hours at a time. I know, we've done it more than once, and have been using the setup for almost a decade now with no neck problems. It's even been checked and vetted by a friend of ours who's a board-certified orthopedic surgeon when the issue was first raised, so I am confident in my firm assertion that you and everyone else are pointing to a problem that does not apply here.
Or anywhere else, really.

If anything, in a home environment a TV centered more-or-less at seated eye level is more uncomfortable to watch in practice than one raised to clear a mantel, or for that matter a center channel identical to the left and right speakers in model and orientation. Does anybody really sit ramrod straight to watch television?

laurelkurt

Forum Donor
They're sold out except maybe one single speaker left. I hesitated and now it's too late AFAIK. I'm wondering if any NE US dealers might have any. I'd make the drive if so.
They got in another pair. I snatched them up. In a bit of trouble now, so I can't buy stands. They'll be standing atop my SB 2000 subs as a base.

mmshah

They got in another pair. I snatched them up. In a bit of trouble now, so I can't buy stands. They'll be standing atop my SB 2000 subs as a base.
That might have been me. I originally ordered the LCR but then got too worried my 5 year old would topple the L/R so changed my order to just a C. Can't wait to get mine!

laurelkurt

Forum Donor
That might have been me. I originally ordered the LCR but then got too worried my 5 year old would topple the L/R so changed my order to just a C. Can't wait to get mine!
No pets or children here. I stood my fat Boomer self on the sub today. 225 lbs didn't collapse it! :D

PeterMod

Forum Donor
The front base of the speaker should be approximately six inches off the ground, plus or minus maybe a quarter inch, depending on how the feet are set up. I didn't measure the rear height, but the stand is built with an approximately 3-degree slope from front to rear. The angle was calculated to get me into the main beam of the vertical directivity based on my listening distance of twelve feet, if you're deviating significantly, you'd want to recalculate the angle to fit. I've since moved the couch a foot closer, but the vertical directivity is sufficiently wide that I and several other listeners agree that there is no discernable difference in listening tests from either position. Regarding what the rep told you, that does not align with my experience. All four sides and the back are a high gloss veneer, so unless he's talking about the front being aluminum, I'm not sure what he's referring to by unfinished. I think some of these may qualify as B stock, there were one or two imperfections in my center channel, as @amirm called out in the review. The feet are removable, I knocked one of them off sliding it into the stand and it did not mar the finish.
Hi. This is the thread that convinced me to buy the Reference 4C as LCR, and JD_Spoon helped me realize I could get stands that work with them vertically. Thanks to everyone who has contributed in this thread.

I measured a set of Reference 5s with their plinth from KEF, and decided that about a 12" height for the stand top above the floor would be the best custom height for my L and R to match the tweeter heigh of a Reference 5. I don't have my 4Cs on an angle of any sort, and the tweeters about match my ear height while I'm sitting. I have to caution you, elevating these speakers 12" above a floor results in a very high center of gravity, so make sure you can protect them from any possible tipping accidents.

-Peter

laurelkurt

Forum Donor
Hi. This is the thread that convinced me to buy the Reference 4C as LCR, and JD_Spoon helped me realize I could get stands that work with them vertically. Thanks to everyone who has contributed in this thread.

I measured a set of Reference 5s with their plinth from KEF, and decided that about a 12" height for the stand top above the floor would be the best custom height for my L and R to match the tweeter heigh of a Reference 5. I don't have my 4Cs on an angle of any sort, and the tweeters about match my ear height while I'm sitting. I have to caution you, elevating these speakers 12" above a floor results in a very high center of gravity, so make sure you can protect them from any possible tipping accidents.

-Peter
Mine will 14" off the floor on top of my subs. I hope it will be solid enough. I got a quote from Sound Anchors for $986 plus shipping for stands. I can't swing that much right now.

JD_Spoon

I have to caution you, elevating these speakers 12" above a floor results in a very high center of gravity, so make sure you can protect them from any possible tipping accidents.

-Peter
This is exactly why I have those vertical supports on the side/back to guard against tipping movement from accidental contact. If you're inclined to re-use, it should be fairly easy to extend the stand leg of the design I have and have it flat rather than angled to accomplish your preferred height. I considered matching the height of Reference 5s on my original design but ultimately opted to keep the body lower to avoid that center of gravity challenge.

mmshah

My 4C just arrived unboxing in progress!

Reactions: exm
Top Bottom